Aug 23, 2017
8 Key Projections on Future of E-Sports Market for Forecast Period 2017 to 2022
by Team Fact.MR
A recently published study by Fact.MR estimates the global e-sports market to exhibit a steady expansion over the forecast period 2017 to 2022. E-sports enables individuals in experiencing different aspects of games including ladder, league, and tournament through a single system. The global market for e-sports is expected to account for around US$ 400 Mn revenues by 2022-end.
With the advent of live events & streams, games have entered the field of broadcasters and media, who are utilizing their advertising business models in order to tap into regions, which were previously out of their reach. E-sports is offering entertainment companies, media, and brands a chance to capitalize on their favorite pastime of millennial as well as digital natives, such as playing games, and viewing game content. As a new and independent business, e-sports does not only witnesses a tremendous growth, but also accelerates the convergence of different established industries. Most of the game publishers consider the business of e-sports to be futile at present. On the contrary, their investment is being justified by the impact on revenues generated from games, and future potential of activities pertaining to e-sports as a standalone business. E-sports has been witnessed to become engrained in DNA of several successful competitive games, with publishers actively concentrating on expansion of their franchises, in a bid to engage their current audience, and attracting new ones. Generally lacking in resources as well as experience, game publishers are seeking white-label organizers to assist them in setting up leagues and events across their franchises.
8 Key Takeaways from Fact.MR’s Report on Global E-Sports Market for Forecast Period 2017 to 2022
- Online mode will continue to be the largest design mode segment of e-sports adopted around the world, with revenues estimated to hold approximately 50% market share over the forecast period. But, online design mode of e-sports will lose 114 BPS in its share of the market by 2022-end.
- Local Area Network design mode of e-sports is poised to exhibit the highest CAGR through 2022.
- On the basis of genres type, racing and real-time strategy are estimated to ride on similar CAGRs through 2022. The real-time strategy genre of e-sports will account for the largest share of the market, in terms of revenues, during 2017 to 2022.
- Fighting games are expected to remain the second most lucrative genre of e-sports, in terms of revenues.
- Based on buyer type, promotional segment is projected to register the fastest expansion in the global e-sports market through 2022.
- Institutional segment is estimated to be the most lucrative buyer type segment, with sales poised to account for nearly US$ 200 Mn revenues by 2022-end.
- North America’s dominance in the global e-sports market is expected to remain unchallenged, in terms of revenues. This is partially attributed to the teams of North America, and their great hospitality to myriad new non-academic sponsorships, along with a number of world’s largest leagues & tournaments hosted by this region. These incidences are anticipated to create a huge amount of sponsorship money.
- Key players in the global e-sports market include Valve Corporation, Zynga Inc., Activision Blizzard Inc., Tencent Holdings Limited, GungHo Online Entertainment, Inc., Nintendo Co., Ltd., Electronic Arts Inc., Microsoft Corporation, and Sony Corporation.