Curcumin Market Share & Trends Analysis, By Curcuminoid Content (≥ 94% curcuminoid content, ≥ 80% curcuminoid content), By Application (Food colorant, Antioxidant, Anti-inflammation agent), By End-use (Food and Beverage, Pharmaceutical, Textile) & By Region Forecast - Global Review 2023 to 2033
Analysis of Curcumin Market Covering 30+ Countries Including Analysis of US, Canada, UK, Germany, France, Nordics, GCC countries, Japan, Korea and many more
Curcumin Market Outlook (2023 to 2033)
Turmeric, a spice that is frequently used in Asian cooking, has a natural substance called curcumin. Due to its possible anti-inflammatory and antioxidant effects, it has grown in favor in recent years. Additional uses can be found in the food, cosmetics, and pharmaceutical industries. It’s used in the formation of natural food colors which also has health benefits.
For ages, it has been used as a pain-relieving agent. It plays a vital role in the treatment of jaundice, hemorrhage, and hematuria, to name a few. In modern times, it is one of the most widely studied natural products.
Research has proved that it has the ability to prevent cancer by avoiding carcinogens. Along with this, it also protects the liver against damage caused by infections. It is an anti-inflammatory substance that is able to reduce exhaustion and fatigue, which might lead to inflammation of the liver.
Don't Need a Global Report?
save 40%! on Country & Region specific reports
What are the factors propelling the demand and use of curcumin?
Antioxidant Properties Make it a Natural Food Preservative
Curcumin can be used as a natural food preservative due to its antioxidant and antimicrobial properties. As a food preservative, it can help inhibit the growth of bacteria and other microorganisms that can cause spoilage or foodborne illness. Furthermore, its also used in several food premixes in specific proportions to enhance color, texture, and health benefits. Some of these products are spice blends, marinades, and seasoning mixes.
Rising Health Awareness to Fuel Demand for Natural Ingredients
With the rise of the health and wellness industry, there has been a growing awareness of the potential health benefits. Studies have shown that it may help reduce inflammation, improve brain function, and lower the risk of chronic diseases such as cancer and heart disease.
Furthermore, many people are turning to natural and herbal remedies as an alternative to pharmaceutical drugs, and it is seen as a safe and effective option. The scientific community has been studying curcumin for its potential health benefits, and there have been several clinical trials and studies conducted to explore its effectiveness. This has helped to raise awareness and interest in it.
Rising Herbal Medicine Usage in Chronic Disease Treatment
The prevalence of chronic diseases such as cancer, diabetes, and heart disease has been increasing, and it is seen as a potential preventative and treatment option. It has been studied for its potential anti-cancer properties.
It has been found to inhibit the growth and spread of cancer cells, as well as enhance the effectiveness of chemotherapy and radiation therapy. Moreover, it has been shown to improve insulin sensitivity and glucose metabolism, which can help manage blood sugar levels in people with diabetes.
What are the challenges ahead for manufacturers?
One of the biggest challenges in production is ensuring the consistent quality and potency of the final product. This is particularly important as the quality can vary depending on factors such as the source, extraction method, and processing techniques. it has low bioavailability and poor absorption in the body, which can limit its effectiveness. Manufacturers may need to invest in specialized technology or processes to improve the absorption and bioavailability of in their products.
However, manufacturers also face risks due to the supply of adulterated from local vendors. Also, confusion exists among customers regarding their bioavailability. It has been found that alternative synthetic products are entering the market, which could harm market share. The presence of economical food colors in the market might also affect its growth in the food and beverage segment. Being a market largely driven by research, several market players have established their own R&D centers and most of the products are found to be patented.
More Insights, Lesser Cost (-50% off)
Insights on import/export production,
pricing analysis, and more – Only @ Fact.MR
- November 2020- Robertet launched curcuRouge with a partnership with Tadashi Hashimoto, a bioavailability expert, groundbreaking curcumin which has proven 93 times greater absorption than traditional extracts. CurcuRouge is capable of getting mixed with water and has the highest concentrations and allows low doses of 225-450 mg per day. CurcuRoge is made using a non-crystalline form, stabilized with a polymer matrix which helps increase the solubility and stability. The process uses non-controversial additives thus, making it a Novel Food Ingredient.
- February 2021- Chok Yuen Yong Industry Co., A Nakhon Ratchasima-based manufacturer in has turned to drinks due to its health benefits and growing concern regarding health due to the pandemic. The group has invested nearly 50,00,000 US dollars to buy a 10-rai plot in Nakhon Ratchasima to build a factory producing QminC drink. This drink is made up of curcumin extracted from the rootstalk of turmeric plants. The company is planning to export the drink products to Southern parts of Asia and the Middle East after the pandemic.
- In March this year, James White re-launched a reduced-sugar Thorncroft cordial range together with a new Turmeric cordial. The cordial is made up of pressed turmeric juice giving it a refreshing taste whose benefits are derived from this. The company has cut the sugar in the product by at least 37%. The product is the company’s new addition in its plant-based origins and turmeric is added to the cordial for the spice and its anti-inflammatory benefits.
- Biomax Life Sciences Ltd.
- hindustan mint & agro products pvt. Ltd.
- Arjuna Natural Ltd
- Star Hi-Herbs Pvt. Ltd.
- Synthite Industries Ltd.
- Sabinsa Corp.
- Herboveda India Pvt. Ltd
- Helmigs Company
- Hebei Food Additive Co. Ltd.
- PT Tri Rahardja
- Konark Herbals & Health Care.
Know thy Competitors
Competitive landscape highlights only certain players
Complete list available upon request
Over 75% of the world's total turmeric production is cultivated in India, which controls the market for its cultivation. However, the majority of turmeric is exported to North America due to the low level of awareness among the populace of the nation. Due to its uses in the personal care business and the growing popularity of herbal products on the market, it is consumed in huge quantities in North America.
According to the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, roughly 2400 Metric Tons per Annum of turmeric is imported into the U.S. Europe follows North America in terms of demand.
Research and development regarding the application for cancer treatment are driving the growth in Europe. Manufacturers are concentrated in the Asia Pacific region, mainly in India, owing to the proximity to raw materials and penetration of herbal products.
On the basis of curcuminoid content :
- ≥ 94% curcuminoid content
- ≥ 80% curcuminoid content
On the basis of the application :
- Food colorant
- Anti-inflammation agent
On the basis of end-use :
- Food and beverage
- Personal Care
On the Basis of Regions :
- North America (U.S., Canada)
- Latin America (Mexico, Brazil, Argentina, Chile, Peru)
- Western Europe (Germany, Italy, France, U.K., Spain, BENELUX, Nordic, Eastern Europe)
- CIS and Russia
- Asia-Pacific (China, India, ASEAN, South Korea)
- Middle East and Africa (GCC Countries, South Africa, Turkey, Iran, Israel)
- FAQs -
India reigns the market in terms of production owing to 75% of the global volume share.
North America at present is the biggest importer in this market.
High demand is expected to be seen in pharmaceutical applications which currently account for nearly 50% of market revenue.
The market is studied on the basis of curcuminoid content, end-user, application, and Regions.