Dissolvable Stitches Market
Dissolvable Stitches Market By Type (Natural, Synthetic), By Application (Cardiovascular Surgeries, Orthopedic Surgeries, General Surgeries, Ophthalmic Surgeries), By End User (Hospitals, Clinics, Ambulatory Surgical Centers) & By Region - Global Market Insights 2023 to 2033
Analysis of Dissolvable Stitches Market Covering 30+ Countries Including Analysis of US, Canada, UK, Germany, France, Nordics, GCC countries, Japan, Korea and many more
Dissolvable Stitches Market Outlook (2023 to 2033)
The global dissolvable stitches market is valued at US$ 1.5 billion in 2023 and is projected to reach US$ 2.5 billion by the end of 2033, expanding at a steady CAGR of 5.5% from 2023 to 2033.
Sutures that spontaneously dissolve and are eliminated from the body while a wound heals are referred to as absorbable sutures or dissolvable sutures. Manufacturers create dissolvable stitches using particular materials, such as synthetic polymers or animal proteins, which the body's natural chemicals may degrade and absorb. A patient does not need to go back to a clinic or hospital for the removal of the absorbable stitches because the body can gradually eliminate them.
Non-absorbable stitches are commonly produced from nylon or silk. Once the lesion has healed, the non-dissolvable stitches must be removed by a medical practitioner because the body cannot eliminate these materials.
When closing surgical incisions or deeper wounds, surgeons favour dissolvable stitches. They may use dissolvable sutures to join numerous layers of tissue to seal a deeper incision. Dissolvable sutures lessen strain and make it simpler for medical professionals to suit the wound's contour, which lowers the danger of the wound opening and results in less scarring.
Dissolvable stitches are used by doctors to close a patient's wound, such as:
- Dental procedures such as wisdom tooth extraction
- Muscle and connective tissue recovery
- Grafted skin
- Various abdominal procedures, such as caesarean birth
- Mending tears caused by delivery in the vagina and perineum
Natural dissolvable sutures and synthetic dissolvable stitches are some of the types of dissolvable stiches. Originally, sheep's intestines, or ‘catgut’, were used to make dissolvable sutures. The manufacturing procedure was comparable to that used to create natural tennis racquet strings as well as musical strings for violins and guitars.
Natural sutures are now produced from specifically processed cattle and sheep intestines. They can be untreated, stained with chromium salts to enhance their endurance in the body or heat-treated for faster absorption.
Synthetic absorbable sutures are gaining traction, as they are formed of braided or monofilament synthetic polymer fibers, which have many advantages over natural sutures, including simplicity of use, low cost, minimal tissue reactivity, consistent function, and guaranteed non-toxicity. The dominance is related to the significantly decreased frequency of hypersensitive reactions when utilizing synthetic sutures for wound closure.
- When synthetic absorbable stitches such as nylon, polyglactin 910, and polyamide 6/6 were used during surgical procedures, the risks of an allergic reaction were extremely low, according to research by the National Center for Biotechnology Information in 2020.
Dissolvable Stitches Market Size (2023E)
US$ 1.5 Billion
Forecasted Market Value (2033F)
US$ 2.5 Billion
Global Market Growth Rate (2023 to 2033)
Leading Regional Market
Key Companies Profiled
Don't Need a Global Report?
save 40%! on Country & Region specific reports
How are Manufacturers of Dissolvable Stitches Expected to Benefit Going Forward?
“Ever-increasing Surgical Procedures across Regions”
Surgical sutures are a type of medical product used to ligate blood vessels and seal any open wounds. In both large surgeries such as caesarean sections, knee replacements, cardiovascular procedures, and many more as well as minor surgeries, including restorative dentistry, cataract surgeries, and other procedures, these products are mostly utilized to close wounds.
Road traffic accidents and chronic illnesses are becoming more common, and as a result, more people are undergoing various types of surgical procedures, such as hip replacement, bypass surgery, and ankle arthroplasty.
- The World Health Organization (WHO) estimates that between February 2020 and February 2025, 20 to 50 million people may experience sustained non-fatal injuries, some of which would result in bone fractures, necessitating subsequent ankle arthroplasty and other bone procedures.
- A survey by HEALTHLINE MEDIA estimates that every year in the United States, around 600,000 knee replacement procedures are carried out.
- Around 200,000 coronary artery bypass graft procedures are also carried out in the United States annually, according to data from Texas Heart Institute.
Thus, rising cases related to surgeries are expected to boost the sales of dissolvable stitches over the next 10 years.
“Rapidly Increasing Rate of Senior Population with Target Disorders”
The rapidly growing geriatric population is increasing the demand for and use of surgical sutures because senior people undergo more surgical procedures such as knee replacement, angioplasty, and organ transplant. As a result, healthcare facilities around the world are requesting more cutting-edge technologies for operational purposes.
- For instance, according to a study by the National Center for Biotechnology Information, every year around 30% of elderly individuals experience fall injuries as they have walking issues, which is increasing the number of patients having knee replacement operations.
The aforementioned factors, along with the rising demand for advanced suturing equipment due to their effectiveness during surgical intervention, are encouraging healthcare professionals to adopt these systems, which is subsequently fueling the growth of the market for dissolvable stitches.
“Introduction of Advanced Absorbable Sutures”
The market players are increasing their attention on R&D and the introduction of new, cutting-edge products in response to the public's growing awareness of advanced surgical treatments. Also, a worldwide preference among surgeons for dissolvable stitches has been fueled by the sudden flood of new, advanced sutures with increased characteristics.
The development of the suture's material and tip, which has transformed the suturing process during surgeries, has further accelerated demand growth. The demand for and acceptance of dissolvable surgical sutures is rising end users are using more cutting-edge materials that are biocompatible by nature and effective in speeding up wound healing.
- Smith & Nephew introduced the REGENESORB-based HEALICOIL KNOTLESS suture anchor in September 2020. This bio-composite material has distinct advantages in that it expedites wound healing and allows the implant to be dissolved and replaced by bone in less than 24 months.
Can Demand for Dissolvable Stitches Be Restricted in Any Way?
“Availability of Substitutes and Post-surgical Complications”
Growth in the demand for dissolvable stitches is being held back by the development of sophisticated wound care dressings, the accessibility of substitutes such as surgical staplers, and issues such as haemorrhage and leakage, particularly in esophageal and colonic anastomosis. On the other hand, staplers have better wound healing capabilities, can be promptly positioned at the wound site, and are also reasonably priced.
Demand growth is also expected to be restricted by strict government regulations on product approvals and rising demand for minimally-invasive surgical treatments. Several disadvantages such as cross-hatched markings, surgical site infections, and the high expense of antibacterial devices are preventing these products from being used more often in surgical procedures despite major improvements.
- The National Center for Biotechnology Information reported that each year, because of the prevalence of bacteria in the sutures, 5% of individuals who undergo various procedures eventually acquire surgical site infections.
Why Does the United States Hold a Leading Position in the Market for Dissolvable Stitches?
“Rising Prevalence of Chronic Surgical Conditions and Presence of Key Market Players”
In the United States, sales of dissolving absorbable stitches are increasing rapidly. This is because more people are expected to have surgeries due to the rising prevalence of chronic conditions.
- The Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC) predicts that by the end of 2024, there may be 78.0 million people who have been diagnosed with arthritis, up from an estimated 63.0 million in 2020.
Major American companies such as Ethicon US LLC are constantly developing cutting-edge surgical products. As a result, these technologies are being used more often in healthcare settings, which significantly is expanding sales in this country.
- According to the Population Reference Bureau Report, the population of Americans over 65 is expected to increase from 52 million in 2018 to 95 million by 2060.
Another reason driving demand for absorbable surgical sutures is the ageing population, which is linked to more chronic diseases and consequently more operations, which drives up sales growth.
Why are Germany and the United Kingdom Profitable Markets for Manufacturers of Dissolvable Stitches?
“High Rate of Hip & Knee Replacement Surgeries”
The developed healthcare infrastructure in Germany and the United Kingdom, as well as the launch of innovative suturing devices by Smith & Nephew and other market participants in these countries, are all contributing to the rapid sales of dissolvable stitches.
- The National Joint Registry reported that each year in the England and Wales region, about 160,000 hip and knee replacement procedures are carried out. As a result, the demand for and use of surgical sutures is being further stimulated by the rising cases related to surgeries.
Why are Sales of Dissolvable Stitches Rising Steadily in India?
“Increasing Prevalence of Obesity and Expanding Older Population”
- Prevalence of Obesity in India and Its Neurological Implications: A Multifactor Analysis of a Nationwide Cross-Sectional Research, a report published in May 2021, claims that India is going through a rapid epidemiological transition from underweight to overweight/obese population. In India, the prevalence of obesity was 40.3%.
- According to the same study, obesity is more prevalent among women than men (41.8% vs. 38.6%), urban compared to rural (44.1% vs. 36%), and people over 40 than people under 40 (45.8% vs. 34.5%).
Rising prevalence of obesity in the population is driving demand for bariatric procedures that need the use of surgical sutures, which is ultimately driving the demand rate.
- A Longitudinal Ageing Study in India, released by the Union Ministry of Family and Health Affairs in January 2020, found that 23% of seniors 60 years of age and more have several morbidities and that over 70% of senior individuals in the nation suffer from at least one chronic condition. According to the survey, older women in India are more likely than men to suffer multiple medical issues.
The burden of chronic diseases needing surgical treatment is anticipated to rise in India as the older population grows, which would further fuel sales of dissolvable surgical sutures in the country.
More Insights, Lesser Cost (-50% off)
Insights on import/export production,
pricing analysis, and more – Only @ Fact.MR
Why are Hospitals & Ambulatory Surgical Centers the First Preference for Surgical Treatment Procedures?
“Presence of Skilled Medical Staff & Advanced Medical Technologies”
Demand for dissolvable stitches is dominated by hospitals and ambulatory surgical centers. This is because surgical operations are performed extensively in hospitals and ambulatory surgical centres (ASCs), and both emerging and developed economies have attractive reimbursement mechanisms in place for surgical cases. In addition, the presence of skilled surgeons and advanced technologies for complex surgical operations in hospitals and ASCs contributes to the demand for absorbable stitches.
The preference for treatment is expected to shift towards clinics significantly during the forecast period. This may be due to the specialized care provided in these specialty clinical settings and the comparably shorter wait times.
Absorbable stitches are currently gaining preference among healthcare professionals as these solutions offer clinical advantages over traditional sutures. Dissolvable stitches for deeper wounds are capable of recovering quickly & effectively.
According to Fact.MR, a market research and competitive intelligence provider, key players in the dissolvable stitches market are focusing on producing advanced stitches to make treatment procedures more effective.
Some of their tactics to maintain the current market positions include a strong focus on the innovation of new technologies in suturing devices to perform complicated surgical procedures and the growth of production capacity.
- Purified connective tissue produced from the serosal layer of bovine intestines is used to make the Surgigut gut sutures by Medtronic. CAPROSYN monofilament absorbable sutures, VELOSORB fast braided absorbable sutures, and POLYSORB braided absorbable sutures are among the various Medtronic dissolvable sutures.
Know thy Competitors
Competitive landscape highlights only certain players
Complete list available upon request
Key Segments of Dissolvable Stitches Industry Research
By Type :
By Application :
- Cardiovascular Surgeries
- Orthopedic Surgeries
- General Surgeries
- Ophthalmic Surgeries
By End User :
- Ambulatory Surgical Centers
By Region :
- North America
- Latin America
- East Asia
- South Asia & Oceania
- FAQs -
The global dissolvable stitches market is valued at US$ 1.5 billion in 2023.
Global demand for dissolvable stitches is expected to increase at a CAGR of 5.5% from 2023 to 2033.
Worldwide sales of dissolvable stitches are expected to reach US$ 2.5 billion by 2033.
Rising cases of traffic accidents and growing senior population are the main factors expected to drive market growth.
Braun Melsungen AG, Boston Scientific Corporation, and DemeTECH Corporation are some of the key market players.