Beta Interferon Market
Beta Interferon Market Analysis, By Type (Interferon Beta-1A, Interferon Beta-1B, Peginterferon Beta-1A), By Route of Administration (Intramuscular, Subcutaneous, Intravenous), By Distribution Channel, By Disease & By Region - Global Market Insights 2023 to 2033
Analysis of Beta Interferon Market Covering 30+ Countries Including Analysis of US, Canada, UK, Germany, France, Nordics, GCC countries, Japan, Korea and many more
Beta Interferon Market Outlook (2023 to 2033)
The global beta interferon market stands at US$ 3.6 billion in 2023 and is expected to reach a valuation of US$ 4.8 billion by 2033, expanding at a CAGR of 3% over the next ten years. Rising prevalence of chronic disorders across the world is primarily driving global demand for beta interferon drugs.
Interferons are a series of naturally produced proteins that are formed by eukaryotic cells and primarily function against infectious diseases and other biological inducers. Alpha, beta, and gamma are the three main subtypes of interferon drugs.
Beta interferon drugs constitute the first class of disease-modifying therapies (DMTs) for multiple sclerosis and also help researchers to comprehend the immunomodulatory pathways in multiple sclerosis (MS).
For the past 15 years, beta interferon drugs have been utilized to cure relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis (RRMS). The efficacy of interferon beta medications in reducing disease and even slowing disease progression has been the subject of numerous clinical trials and post-marketing investigations.
Three types of beta interferon drugs are interferon beta-1A, interferon beta-1B, and peginterferon beta-1A. Immunomodulators are a family of drugs that includes interferon beta-1A, which operates by reducing inflammation and minimizing nerve damage that can result in multiple sclerosis symptoms.
Interferon beta-1A intramuscular injection is available in vials of powder that must be combined with a solution before injecting a patient. Interferon beta-1A is also accessible in a liquid form in prefilled injectable syringes and automatic injection pens.
- Synairgen developed SNG001, which is an inhalation formulation of interferon beta-1A, as a COVID-19 therapy. SNG001 showed better chances of clinical improvement in a pilot study of hospitalized patients when compared to a placebo, and a phase 3 trial in this cohort began in January 2021.
Injections of peginterferon beta-1A and interferon beta-1B are used in patients to reduce symptomatic episodes of relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis. The growing cases of multiple sclerosis are driving sales of beta interferon drugs, globally.
Beta Interferon Market Size in 2023
US$ 3.6 Billion
Forecasted Market Value (2033)
US$ 4.8 Billion
Global Market Growth Rate (2023 to 2033)
China Market Growth Rate (2023 to 2033)
Japan Market Growth Rate (2023 to 2033)
Germany Market Growth Rate (2023 to 2033)
Canada Market Growth Rate (2023 to 2033)
Key Companies Profiled
Why is Demand for Beta Interferon Drugs Increasing Globally?
“Rising Cases of Multiple Sclerosis Fueling Product Demand”
Rising prevalence of multiple sclerosis is emphasizing key players in the beta interferon market to produce advanced interferon drugs. The chronic inflammatory demyelinating disease known as multiple sclerosis (MS) severely impairs the nervous system.
- According to the National Center for Biotechnology Information, 2.3 million people are experiencing MS globally, and 85% of those cases are classified as relapsing-remitting MS (RRMS), which is characterized by clearly defined exacerbations and intervals of disease stability following recovery.
- Countries located near the equator in Asia, Africa, and America have lower incidences of multiple sclerosis, whereas Canada and Scotland have relatively higher incidences, according to the Multiple Sclerosis Trust (MTS).
- Orelabrutinib, being developed by Biogen, is currently in phase II of development.
- Remibrutinib, being developed by Novartis, is currently in phase III.
- For the treatment of relapsing types of multiple sclerosis, Biogen Inc. received FDA clearance for Plegridy (peginterferon beta-1a) in February 2021 for a novel intramuscular (IM) injectable mode of treatment. Those with relapsing multiple sclerosis can benefit from the drug's well-known safety and efficacy with much fewer injection site reactions owing to the intramuscular delivery of Plegridy.
“Significant Investments by Market Players on R&D to Develop Advanced Therapies”
Over the last ten years, there has been constant progress in the research and development of neurological therapies. Multiple sclerosis is being treated using drugs manufactured employing a range of cutting-edge technologies.
Some of the major pharmaceutical companies emphasize the improvement of drugs required for treating multiple sclerosis. Drugs with various modes of action are included in the pipeline portfolios of many firms, which are anticipated to boost sales of beta interferon drugs.
- In January 2020, Novartis stated that the European Commission (EC) had authorized Mayzent (siponimod) for the therapy of adult individuals with secondary progressive multiple sclerosis (SPMS) who suffer from an active illness characterized by relapses or imaging markers of inflammatory activity. Furthermore, it is anticipated that the increasing demand for immunomodulatory medicines for the treatment of MS is projected to stimulate sales of beta interferon drugs.
“Increasing Prevalence of Infectious Diseases Such as Hepatitis”
Rapidly increasing prevalence of infectious diseases is boosting the demand for beta interferon drugs. An infection of the liver is known as hepatitis. Excessive consumption of alcohol and drugs and other health issues that damage the liver can cause hepatitis. Hepatitis A, B, and C are the most prevalent types of hepatitis.
From moderate to severe, hepatitis C can vary in severity. After being exposed to the hepatitis C virus, acute hepatitis C usually develops within six months, and if chronic hepatitis C is not treated, it might become lifelong hepatitis C. Acute hepatitis C patients as well as those with HCV genotype 2 and undetectable infectious levels respond well to short-term natural interferon-beta monotherapy.
- According to the ECDC 2022 report, Spain recorded 26 cases of hepatitis with an unknown cause in May 2022. Furthermore, it is anticipated that the rising incidences of hepatitis C in both developing and developed countries as well as the wider availability of efficient medications is expected to boost sales growth.
Don't Need a Global Report?
save 40%! on Country & Region specific reports
Which Challenges are Expected to Restrain the Sales of Beta Interferon Drugs?
“Easy Availability of Alternative Drugs”
Interferon beta therapy is used to treat multiple sclerosis. Other therapies for MS treatment include corticosteroids, monoclonal antibodies, and antineoplastic compounds. Also, the approval and introduction of alternative therapies are anticipated to restrain the growth of the beta interferon drugs market.
- Ocrevus (ocrelizumab), a humanized monoclonal antibody that targets B-cells with the CD20 protein, was recently approved by the FDA. The drug is useful in the treatment of both primary progressive and relapse forms of multiple sclerosis. The market for beta interferon is expected to impede to some extent if such products are developed.
“High Production Costs of Beta Interferons”
Compared to chemically produced tiny molecules, interferons require more capital for production. Interferons have high operating costs in the market owing to the fact that biological drugs are more complex than small molecules, necessitating the use of high-quality production methods.
Additionally, to obtain licenses, businesses must provide comprehensive evidence demonstrating the security and efficacy of biologics in pre-clinical and clinical research. As a result, the licensing process is expensive and time-consuming, which is expected to negatively affect the sales growth of interferons.
Which Factor is Benefiting Manufacturers of Beta Interferon Drugs in the United States?
“Rising Cases of Cancer in the Country”
The availability of advanced treatment procedures and the presence of key market players are boosting sales of beta interferon drugs in the United States. Additionally, the rising number of cancer cases in the country results in an increasing need for potent cancer vaccinations, which is further expected to increase the demand for interferon drugs.
Triple-negative breast cancer (TNBC), the most lethal subtype of cancer, lacks a focused treatment procedure. TNBC tumors do not respond to treatment because of their features such as a suppressed interferon (IFN)/signal transducer, activator of transcription (STAT) gene signature, and enrichment for cancer stem cells (CSCs).
Interferon-beta (IFN) therapy involves a less aggressive epithelial/non-CSC-like state, with the inhibited expression of mesenchymal proteins (VIMENTIN, SLUG), decreased migration and tumor sphere development, and re-expression of CD24 (a surface marker for non-CSCs) concurrent with an epithelium-like morphology.
- The American Cancer Society reported that the country spent around US$ 200 billion on cancer treatment in 2020.
- Nearly 1.9 million new instances of cancer occurred in the United States in 2022, according to a study by the American Cancer Society. In addition, 57% of cancer patients in the United States are 65 years of age or older, and 80% of cancer patients in the country are older than 55.
As such, sales of interferon drugs are anticipated to increase as a result of the high prevalence of cancer in the United States.
What is Aiding the Sales of Beta Interferon Drugs in Japan?
“Rapidly Increasing Prevalence of Hepatitis C Virus”
In Japan, hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) is primarily caused due to chronic hepatitis C virus (HCV). The rapidly increasing rate of the population getting affected by HCV is boosting the demand for interferon drugs.
Despite recent advancements in HCC therapy, individuals with HCC who do not receive liver transplantation have a poor prognosis. It is well established that in patients with HCV infection, the incubation period before HCC identification is typically shorter when liver fibrosis is more severe.
If individuals with chronic hepatitis C experience a sustained virological response (SVR) to interferon therapy, this treatment can lower the risk for HCC and lessen liver fibrosis. Thus, the demand for beta interferon drugs is increasing due to the growing incidences of HCV.
- According to the National Center for Biotechnology Information, there are around 1 million individuals living with HCV in Japan.
Why is Germany Leading Europe’s Interferon Beta Drugs Market?
“Advanced Healthcare System and Presence of Several Biopharma Companies”
Germany is a hub of pharma and biotech companies in the European region. Favorable reimbursement policies, the presence of well-established healthcare infrastructure, and the rapid adoption of interferon therapies are boosting sales of beta interferon drugs in Germany.
- According to the National Center for Biotechnology Information, there are around 100,000 to 140,000 individuals living with multiple sclerosis in Germany.
More Insights, Lesser Cost (-50% off)
Insights on import/export production,
pricing analysis, and more – Only @ Fact.MR
Which Distribution Channel Accounts for High Sales of Beta Interferon Drugs?
“Hospital Pharmacies Prime Choice for Buying Medications & Drugs”
Hospitals are primarily preferred by patients for treatment procedures. This can be attributed to the presence of advanced healthcare technologies and skilled medical professionals in hospitals.
Medications required during treatment procedures are supplied by hospital pharmacies. Patients prefer buying medications and drugs from hospital pharmacies due to their easy and adequate availability. Thus, the demand for interferon drugs is expected to grow remarkably during the forecast period.
Key players in the beta interferon market are focusing on producing advanced drugs to meet end users' needs and earn more profits. Also, they are adopting organic and inorganic marketing tactics such as partnerships, mergers, and regional expansion by enhancing local supply, changing pricing trends, etc.
Fact.MR, a market research and competitive intelligence provider, reveals key marketing strategies of leading companies in the beta interferon market in its latest report.
- Based on its most recent interactions with the United States Food and Drug Administration, in September 2022, Eiger BioPharmaceuticals, Inc. gave an update on the status of its intended request for an emergency-use approval of peginterferon lambda for the treatment of individuals with mild-to-moderate coronavirus.
Know thy Competitors
Competitive landscape highlights only certain players
Complete list available upon request
Key Segments of Beta Interferon Industry Research
By Type :
- Interferon Beta-1A
- Interferon Beta-1B
- Peginterferon Beta-1A
By Route of Administration :
By Distribution Channel :
- Hospital Pharmacies
- Retail Pharmacies
- Online Pharmacies
By Disease :
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Hepatitis C
By Region :
- North America
- Latin America
- Asia Pacific
- FAQs -
The global beta interferon market stands at US$ 3.6 billion in 2023.
Sales of beta interferon drugs are expected to reach US$ 4.8 billion by 2033.
Global demand for beta interferon drugs is expected to progress at a CAGR of 3% over the next 10 years.
North America is currently dominating the global market for beta interferon.
Some of the leading producers of beta interferon medications are Xiamen Amoytop Biotech Co, Merck, and Roche.