Transportation Management System Market
Transportation Management System Market Share & Trends Analysis, By Component (Transportation Management Solutions, Transportation Management Services), By Transportation Mode (Roadways-based Transportation Management Systems, Others), By Deployment, By Vertical & By Region Forecast, 2021-2031
Newly-released transportation management system industry analysis by Fact.MR shows that global revenue from transportation management systems in 2020 was around US$ 5.9 Bn. At 10.7%, projected market growth during 2021 - 2031 is expected to be higher than historical market progress.
Transportation management solutions are expected generate higher revenue over the coming years, accounting for an absolute dollar opportunity of nearly US$ 8.2 Bn through 2031.
Key Points Covered in Transportation Management System Industry Survey:
- Market Estimates and Forecasts (2016-2031)
- Key Drivers and Restraints Shaping Market Growth
- Segment-wise, Country-wise, and Region-wise Analysis
- Competition Mapping and Benchmarking
- Market Share Analysis
- COVID-19 Impact on Transportation Management Systems and How to Navigate
- Recommendation on Key Winning Strategies
Revenue Analysis of Transportation Management Systems from 2016 to 2020 Compared to Demand Outlook for 2021 to 2031
As per the transportation management system industry research by Fact.MR - a market research and competitive intelligence provider, historically, from 2016 to 2020, market value of the transportation management system industry increased at around 7.5% CAGR, wherein, the U.S., Germany, and U.K. held significant share in the global market.
Constant surge in urbanization has aggravated the need for advanced transportation infrastructure powered by software-based solutions. Owing to this, demand for transportation management systems is projected to surge at a CAGR of 10.7% over the coming 10 years.
- The transportation management system market reached a valuation of US$ 5.9 Bn in 2020; however; worldwide revenues was down -3.2% year-over-year owing to stalled transportation for a considerable time amid COVID-19.
- Fact.MR estimates that transportation management system revenue will grow 2.8X from 2021 to 2031, reaching nearly US$ 19.1 Bn by 2031.
- Transportation management solution revenue will account for over 65% share, owing to increasing adoption of advanced transportation management across emerging countries.
- Roadways command over 40% of transportation management system revenue; however, revenue from maritime is expected to grow at a significant pace.
- While on-premise deployment of transportation management systems accounts for a larger share, both, on-premise and cloud deployment are expected to be equally lucrative over the coming years.
- Among the verticals, manufacturing and transportation & logistics are expected to account for over 50% of market revenue by 2031.
- Top 5 providers of transportation management systems held around 17% market share in 2020.
Supply Chain Complexity Needs a Pragmatic Approach; How are Transportation Management Systems Transforming the Modern Supply Chain?
Transportation management solutions are now being considered as a subset of modern supply chain management. Whether in-house or outsourced, supply chain is being burdened by timelines as well as perfection to meet the expectations of both, demand and supply sides.
Transportation management systems have been automating entire processes, from quotation to delivery. Furthermore, these systems centralize processes, enable planning for predicted and unpredicted events, and eliminate unnecessary stress from the overall supply chain.
Avail customized purchase options for your needs
Purchasing Managers’ Index on a Rough Patch – What Prospects Does it Hold for Transportation Management System Providers?
Purchasing Managers’ Index (PMI) is a measure of the progress of economic trends in a country. Amid the pandemic, most sectors have undergone a rough patch in PMI.
With the resumption of economic activities at previous pace, the manufacturing sector will require prompt response from the supply chain to resume to its previous state. In this situation, transportation management systems are likely to prove beneficial to manage the misaligned supply chain.
PMI activities in countries such as India, Thailand, Philippines, Singapore, Mexico, Columbia, Russia, Uganda, and Lebanon have been observed to slide down in the past few months.
Transportation management system providers in have the opportunity to associate with purchase managers across key sectors to help them improve their supply chain systems and recover their economic activities.
Which Region is Projected to Offer the Largest Opportunity for Transportation Management System Providers?
With an absolute dollar opportunity of US$ 4 Bn, North America is set to remain the most lucrative region for transportation management systems. While the region has large corporations providing transportation management solutions, such as Oracle and C.H. Robinson, it also has a large number of small players and start-ups.
Both, the U.S. and Canada feature amongst the largest consumers, and they are also exporters of several products, which makes their manufacturing robust. This consequently creates high demand for automation solutions in the entire supply chain, thus necessitating the use of transportation management systems.
An Adaptive Approach to Modern-day Research Needs
Which Countries Can be Pivotal in the Mid-term Demand Jump for Transportation Management Systems?
With nearly 12% projected growth rate, transportation management system revenue is expected to grow at fastest pace in South Asian countries.
Some of the key companies having manufacturing units in China have started to relocate their production units to South and South East Asian countries such as Vietnam, Thailand, India, and Indonesia. While this implies a shift in trade dynamics, it essentially promises a significant opportunity for transportation management system providers across these countries.
Which Component of Transportation Management Systems Accounts for Higher Revenue?
Transportation management solutions accounted for over 65% revenue in the market in 2020. Although transportation management systems have enjoyed considerable penetration across key countries, several small- and mid-size companies are still aloof from their benefits.
In order to stay relevant amid the technology adoption of large players, tier-2 companies have started deploying transportation management solutions in their supply chain framework.
Why Does Airways Transportation Carry Significant Opportunity for Transportation Management System Suppliers?
There has been significant surge in the requirement for fast international shipments. Quick order deliveries require air transportation. During COVID-19, when airlines witnessed significant losses owing to restricted cross-border movements, air freight made significant strides in carrying medical emergency products across countries.
Over the years to come, transportation management system revenue through airways is expected to increase at nearly 11% CAGR.
How Has COVID-19 Impacted Revenue Generation from Transportation Management Systems?
Demand for transportation management systems witnessed a year-on-year decline of -3.2% in 2020, owing to stalled economic activities, leading to postponement of investments in technology.
The market in North America was hit the hardest and witnessed a decline of -4.5% in 2020. However, 2021 is expected to provide significant boost to the market with the reset of economic activities.
According to the market research analysis, order wins have been the prominent development in the transportation management system market in recent years.
Some of the recent developments by key transportation management system providers are as follows:
- In July 2021, Magnit PJSC, a prominent Russian retailer, implemented transportation management systems of SAP powered by SAP S/4HANA. The objective of this implementation was cost reduction, supply chain transparency, enhancement, and optimization of in-house transportation turnover.
- In July 2021, GEFCO, an integrated logistics expert and provider of automotive logistics, selected the cloud-based transportation management system of Blue Yonder. It is oriented to bring about digital transformation to tackle complex logistics challenges.
- In June 2021, Hy-Vee Inc., a retail store chain, deployed Manahattan Associate’s transportation management system.
Similarly, recent developments related to companies offering transportation management systems have been tracked by the team at Fact.MR, which are available in the full report.
Transportation Management System Market Report Scope
Historical Data Available for
|US$ Mn for Value|
Key Regions Covered
Key Countries Covered
Key Market Segments Covered
Key Companies Profiled
Available upon Request
Market Segments Covered in Transportation Management System Industry Analysis
- Transportation Management Solutions
- Planning and Execution Solutions
- Order Management Solutions
- Audit, Payment and Claims Solutions
- Reporting and Analytics Solutions
- Routing and Tracking Solutions
- Transportation Management Services
- Consulting Services
- Integration and Implementation Services
- Support and Maintenance Services
- Transportation Management Solutions
By Transportation Mode
- Roadways-based Transportation Management Systems
- Railways-based Transportation Management Systems
- Airways-based Transportation Management Systems
- Maritime-based Transportation Management Systems
- On-premise Deployment of Transportation Management Systems
- Cloud Deployment of Transportation Management Systems
- Transportation Management Systems for Manufacturing
- Transportation Management Systems for Retail
- Transportation Management Systems for Healthcare and Pharmaceuticals
- Transportation Management Systems for Transportation and Logistics
- Transportation Management Systems for Energy and Utilities
- Transportation Management Systems for Government
- Transportation management systems for Other Verticals
- FAQs -
The global transportation management system market is worth around US$ 5.9 Bn at present.
Value sales of transportation management systems are projected to increase at a CAGR of around 10.7% through 2031.
Demand for transportation management systems increased at a CAGR of around 7.5% during 2016 – 2020.
Key providers of transportation management systems are striving to win client orders, with retail clients being the most important.
Growing complexity of supply chain that has aroused requirement for an error-free, timely, and cost-effective demand-supply ecosystem has been the prominent driver for transportation management systems.
Top 5 manufacturers of transportation management systems account for around 17% share in the global market.
Top 5 countries driving demand for transportation management systems are the U.S., Germany, U.K., Japan, and China.
North America accounted for over 30% of global transportation management system revenue in 2020.
The European market for transportation management systems is projected to expand at a CAGR of around 9.8% over the decade.
While the market in South Korea is expected to expand at 11.2%, the market in Japan is projected to register a CAGR of 10.7% during 2021 - 2031.
Need an Exclusive Report for your Unique Requirement?
- Related Reports -
- Our Clients -
- Evaluate How Fact.MR's Report Can Help. -
Is the market research conducted by Fact.MR?
Yes, the report has been compiled by expert analysts of Fact.MR, through a combination of primary and secondary research. To know more about how the research was conducted, you can speak to a research analyst.
What research methodology is followed by Fact.MR?
Fact.MR follows a methodology that encompasses the demand-side assessment of the market, and triangulates the same through a supply-side analysis. This methodology is based on the use of standard market structure, methods, and definitions.
What are the sources of secondary research?
Fact.MR conducts extensive secondary research through proprietary databases, paid databases, and information available in the public domain. We refer to industry associations, company press releases, annual reports, investor presentations, and research papers. More information about desk research is available upon request.
Who are the respondents for primary research?
Fact.MR speaks to stakeholders across the spectrum, including C-level executives, distributors, product manufacturers, and industry experts. For a full list of primary respondents, please reach out to us.
Is a sample of this report available for evaluation?
Yes, you can request a sample, and it will be sent to you through an email.