MOOC Market to Witness 20X Growth in a Decade, with Business and Management Courses Emerging as Top Revenue Pockets, Finds Fact.MR
Published : 16 Dec 2019 Industry: Technology
The MOOC market is gaining significant traction on the back of flexible learning and availability of micro & nano courses as employee engagement & development programs. Fact.MR, in its newly published report, reveals that the MOOC market will hit a valuation of ~US$ 65 Bn by 2029. MOOC has been witnessing immense adoption in various enterprises due to a strong consumer interest in convenient and portable learning options. Rapidly growing educational costs & the increased requirement for higher education to secure a job creates demand for an economical education system. This in turn is giving impetus to the growth of the MOOC market over the forecast period.
Key Takeaways of the MOOC Market
- In 2018, Business & Management courses generated more than 17% revenue in the market, owing to the high cost of degrees from the world’s leading business schools. However, the cost is still lesser than the regular academic classes.
- Over 950 universities have seamlessly integrated with MOOC providers, out of which close to 250 universities offer more than 10 different courses. The number of universities that offer more than 100 courses has been less than 25 till 2019
- In the last 3 years, with the addition of more than 2,200 courses per year, the overall MOOC offerings have increased from around 1,050 in 2014 to more than 11,000 courses in 2018.
- MOOC providers who have a strong foothold in the market are generating 30% more revenue, while emerging providers show above 40% growth in revenue generation in 2018.
- Overall, the MOOC market is likely to create an absolute value opportunity of more than US$ 62 Billion during the forecast period, adding 20X times more value in 2029 as compared to 2019
Paradigm Shift Towards Low Internet Bandwidth and Regional Language Courses
MOOC adoption is facing a major challenge due to low internet bandwidth. To address this significant challenge, market players are focusing on designing resources which can be accessed on low internet bandwidth. Towards, this, MOOC providers are offering low bandwidth solutions such as low definition MOOC videos, video transcripts and audio-only versions supported by slides. To gain a competitive edge, MOOC providers are offering courses in regional languages.
- For instance, Miríada X, a regional MOOC provider offers more than 490 courses in Spanish & Portuguese, created by the leading universities in Spanish and Portuguese speaking countries.
- Some MOOC providers are focusing on creativity & arts education instead of mainstream education. For Instance, Kadenze, a MOOC platform that specializes in creative and arts education, partners with some of the best art institutions and universities around the world to optimize its arts education offering.
More Valuable Insights on the MOOC Market:
Fact.MR, in its new offering, presents an unbiased analysis of the global MOOC market, presenting historical demand data (2013-2018) and forecast statistics for the period of 2019-2029. The study divulges essential insights on the MOOC market on the basis of customer category, primary objective, program, courses and model across seven major regions.
About the ICT Division at Fact.MR
Expert analysis, actionable insights, and strategic recommendations of the highly seasoned ICT team at Fact.MR helps clients from across the globe with their unique business intelligence needs. With a repertoire of over thousand reports and 1 million plus data points, the team has analyzed ICT industry across 50+ countries for over a decade. The team provides unmatched end-to-end research and consulting services. Reach out to explore how we can help.