Refuse-Derived Fuel Market in Numbers
- The refuse-derived fuel market was valued at ~US$ 2 Bn in 2018. The refuse-derived fuel industry was in a slump during 2014 to 2018, tugged by the underexploited potential of energy from waste (EFW) technologies.
- Growth of the refuse-derived fuel market marked a slight uptick, and status-quo is likely to endure, as new waste management solutions are emphasized abreast increasing municipal solid waste (MSW), reducing pressure on landfills.
- Use of refuse-derived fuel for co-processing in cement kilns accounts for ~50% market shares, helping the cement industry reduce its carbon footprint and save on energy consumption.
- Europe remains the frontrunner in the refuse-derived fuel landscape, owing to the presence of extensive co-processing plants, complemented by internal trade of refuse-derived fuel.
- The refuse-derived fuel market in Asia-Pacific excluding Japan (APEJ) is likely to record a relatively faster growth through 2029, as EFW gradually becomes an important source of bioenergy in the region.
Refuse-Derived Fuel Market: Competitive Assessment
Opportunities are plenty in the refuse-derived fuel market, and key stakeholders are vying to leverage these via organic expansion strategies in developed markets and digitization of systems for greater performance.
The future objectives of economies worldwide is clear – chemicals from waste or waste to molecule – and the refuse-derived fuel manufacturers are focusing on refurbishment or replacement of their existing systems, moving to new technologies in a planned & phased manner.
Stakeholders in the refuse-derived fuel market are focusing on consolidating their position in Europe, owing to the favorable legislations and technological vigor of the region. Governments in Europe are on their mark to leverage the potential of refuse-derived fuel in reducing the environmental impact, during waste conversion and the life-cycle of products consumed.
Developing markets such as in APEJ, show promising growth opportunities for companies in the refuse-derived fuel market, as favorable policies continue to spur the capacity deployments in the region.
The refuse-derived fuel landscape is witnessing a paradigm inclination of companies toward strategies such as collaborations, joint ventures, and business expansion, to increase involvement across myriad segments of value chain.
Fact.MR’s study opines that long-term stakeholder investment in established markets will translate to measurable returns, however the success rate will remain slow. On the contrary, long-term investment in developing markets will translate to average returns, while the success rate remains high.
Know More Details About the Report
What are Key Growth Influencers of the Refuse-Derived Fuel Market?
- Governments, in collaboration with local companies, are offering advanced technologies for production of the refuse-derived fuel, even as carrying out robust waste management programs. Incentive-based programs that consider household waste separation, and construction of modern anaerobic digestion facilities, in line with growing number of waste collection & treatment programs will significantly influence the production and supply of refuse-derived fuel.
- New waste management solutions are coming to the fore, alongside rising MSW production in several economies. This has further spurred the number of EFW facilities as a potential solution to abate and manage MSW production. Governments across the globe are promoting reinforcement of source-segregation infrastructure for continuous supply of refuse-derived fuel with suitable moisture and energy content.
- The price volatility of crude oil has been sending ripples of concerns to governments globally, which in turn has led adoption of effective alternative to overcome the dependency on crude oil to as much extent as possible. Refuse-derived fuel has emerged as a feasible solution, as governments can efficiently manage solid waste within the nation and produce sufficient fuel, creating pathways to sustainability as a consequence.
- There has been a marked rise in the emphasis on improving output of refuse-derived fuel plants, with efforts toward accurate separation of wastes. Governments are also providing incentives under contracts for refuse-derived fuel plant setup to regional players.
- Untapped opportunities exist for companies in the refuse-derived fuel market, in countries such as Indonesia, Thailand, and Bangladesh, where focus on refuse-derive fuel plant establishments continues to grow robust. Favorable environment in these countries, with solid waste management programs and steady adoption of production technologies, will bode well for stakeholders in the refuse-derived fuel market.
What are Key Challenges Faced by Refuse-Derived Fuel Manufacturers?
- Restrictions and duties imposed on refused-derived fuel imports, and standards and regulations based on grade continue to remain key barriers for the market stakeholders to address.
- Bottlenecks remain in the financing and funding of the refuse-derived fuel projects, abreast the consolidation on the demand side. This, coupled with effective alternatives ensued from technological developments in the EFW landscape, will continue to challenge growth of companies in the refuse-derived fuel market.
- Lack of awareness and facilities related to the production of the refuse-derived fuel, and growing pressure from the European countries for quality refuse-derived fuel also remain key concerns for the market players.
Avail customized purchase options for your needs
- Greater Opportune Potential of Cement Kilns is Here to Stay
Cement kilns remain the most lucrative application of refuse-derived fuel, as these fuel are capable of powering various drying technologies being incorporated in the cement industries. Refuse-derived fuel complements the aspects that influence sustainability of the co-processing of waste, even as resolving the radical issues and challenges.
This further enables effective utilization of energy and material value of wastes, in turn conserving natural resources via reducing the use of virgin materials. The study finds that, sales of refuse-derived fuel for use in cement kiln account for ~60% market shares. Gains from sales of refuse-derived fuel for use in co-combustion process will also remain significant, accounting for one-fourth market shares.
An Adaptive Approach to Modern-day Research Needs
The insights and forecast of the refuse-derived fuel market offered in this study are backed a robust research methodology. Comprehensive primary interviews and secondary researches are involves in this research approach to gain bleeding-edge intelligence on the refuse-derived fuel market.
Insights gained from the primary interviews are used to validate intelligence gained from the secondary sources. This report acts as a diligent source of information for businesses in the refuse-derived fuel market to make factual and triumphant strategies.
Have a report related query? Speak to us directly
Fact.MR has recently published an analytical study of refuse-derived fuel market, which sheds light on a confluence of aspects that mold the market growth. While historical (2014-2018) and forecast (2019-2019) numbers are offered on the refuse-derived fuel market, the report also covers the most influential trends in the market.
Chapter 1 – Executive Summary
The study begins with a summary of key findings and statistics gleaned for the refuse-derived fuel market. A brief analysis and recommendations of our analysts on the take of businesses in the refuse-derived fuel market has also been provided.
Chapter 2 – Refuse-Derived Market Overview
The study gives an accurate definition of refuse-derived fuel, along with a succinct introduction to the refuse-derived fuel market. A market taxonomy table has been incorporated in this chapter, which methodically represents key segments identified in the refuse-derived fuel market.
Chapter 3 – Key Trends
The report has identified key trends impacting growth of the refuse-derived fuel market. Advances in the production process and technologies associated with the refuse-derived fuel have also been highlighted and analyzed.
Chapter 4 – Refuse-Derived Market Background
The report lists key macro-economic factors influencing demand for refuse-derived fuel, which range from global GDP growth and population dynamics, to energy consumption and oil & gas sector growth. A comprehensive outlook on the waste-to-energy business is delivered, along with the country-wise information on the municipal solid waste composition. Additionally, the study analyzes forecast factors and their relevance & impact on the refuse-derived fuel landscape, value chain analysis and the most crucial dynamics of the refuse-derived fuel market.
Chapter 5 – Value Demand Analysis and Forecast
A detailed analysis of the volume supply & demand trends, for the historical period (2014-2018) and the forecast period (2019-2029), has been included in this chapter. It also includes the annual growth rate of the refuse-derived fuel market.
Chapter 6 – Pricing Analysis
A regional pricing assessment, and pricing break-up for the refuse-derived fuel market is provided in this chapter. The global average pricing benchmark has also been identified and rendered for stakeholders to make apt pricing strategies.
Chapter 7 – Volume Demand Analysis and Forecast
A detailed analysis of the supply & demand trends in terms of value, for the historical period (2014-2018) and the forecast period (2019-2029), has been included in this chapter. It also includes the annual growth rate, along with the absolute dollar opportunity for the refuse-derived fuel market.
Chapter 8 - Refuse-Derived Fuel Market Analysis and Forecast, by Fuel
Key findings in the refuse-derived fuel market on the basis of fuel categories have been provided in this chapter, along with a historical and forecast value and volume analysis. High-grade and low-grade refuse-derived fuel have been highlighted as key fuel categories making an impact on the market dynamics. The market attractiveness analysis for both of these categories has also been offered.
Chapter 9 - Refuse-Derived Fuel Market Analysis and Forecast, by Application
Key findings in the refuse-derived fuel market on the basis of application scope have been provided in this chapter, along with a historical and forecast value and volume analysis. Cement kiln, co-combustion, gasification, CHP, and other imperative applications have been highlighted that make a notable impact on the market dynamics. The market attractiveness analysis for these applications of refuse-derived fuel has also been offered.
Chapter 10 - Refuse-Derived Fuel Market Analysis and Forecast, by Region
The report has categorized the global refuse-derived fuel market into six key geographies, namely, North America, Latin America, Europe, APEJ, Japan, and Middle East & Africa. The scenario of the refuse-derived fuel market in these regions has been explained in detail with imperative historical and forecast figures.
Chapter 11 – North America Refuse-Derived Fuel Market
The refuse-derived fuel market in North America has been studied in detail. The market dynamics and outlook in key countries – the US and Canada – have been analyzed. Insights into the market attractiveness of fuel and application segments on a country-level have been offered in this chapter.
Chapter 12 – Latin America Refuse-Derived Fuel Market
The dynamics and trends impact growth of the refuse-derived fuel market in Latin America have been highlighted and assessed in this chapter. Pricing analysis and market size – in terms of value and volume – in key Latin American countries, namely, Brazil, Mexico, and the rest of Latin America, have been delivered, along with a systematic representation of key participants in the Latin America refuse-derived fuel market.
Chapter 13 - Europe Refuse-Derived Fuel Market
The refuse-derived fuel market in North America has been studied in detail. The market dynamics and outlook in key countries – Germany, Italy, France, the UK, Spain, BENELUX, Russia, and the rest of Europe – have been analyzed. Insights into the market attractiveness of fuel and application segments on a country-level have been offered in this chapter.
Chapter 14 - APEJ Refuse-Derived Fuel Market
The dynamics and trends impact growth of the refuse-derived fuel market in Asia-Pacific excluding Japan (APEJ) have been highlighted and assessed in this chapter. Pricing analysis and market size – in terms of value and volume – in key APEJ countries - India, Thailand, Indonesia, Malaysia, Australia & New Zealand, and the rest of APEJ - have been delivered, along with a systematic representation of key participants in the APEJ refuse-derived fuel market.
Chapter 15 - Japan Refuse-Derived Fuel Market
The dynamics and trends impact growth of the refuse-derived fuel market in Japan have been highlighted and assessed in this chapter. Pricing analysis and market size – in terms of value and volume – in Japan have been delivered, along with a systematic representation of key participants in the Japan’s refuse-derived fuel market.
Chapter 16 – Middle East & Africa Refuse-Derived Fuel Market
The refuse-derived fuel market in North America has been studied in detail. The market dynamics and outlook in key countries – GCC countries, Turkey, Northern Africa, South Africa, and the rest of MEA – have been analyzed. Insights into the market attractiveness of fuel and application segments on a country-level have been offered in this chapter.
Chapter 17 – Market Structure Analysis
Analysis of the refuse-derived fuel market based on Tier of companies operating in the market, and the market concentration of these companies has been incorporated in this chapter. The market share analysis of key player identified and profiled in the refuse-derived fuel market has also been offered.
Chapter 18 – Competition Analysis
Key players operating in the refuse-derived fuel market, profiled in the report, include
- SUEZ Recycling and Recovery UK Ltd.
- FCC Austria Abfill Service AG
- ESTRE AMBIENTAL INC.
- Carey Group Plc.
- Countrystyle Recycling Limited
- Mion Ventoltermica Depurazioni S.p.A.
Need an Exclusive Report for your Unique Requirement?
- Our Clients -
- Evaluate How Fact.MR's Report Can Help. -
Is the market research conducted by Fact.MR?
Yes, the report has been compiled by expert analysts of Fact.MR, through a combination of primary and secondary research. To know more about how the research was conducted, you can speak to a research analyst.
What research methodology is followed by Fact.MR?
Fact.MR follows a methodology that encompasses the demand-side assessment of the market, and triangulates the same through a supply-side analysis. This methodology is based on the use of standard market structure, methods, and definitions.
What are the sources of secondary research?
Fact.MR conducts extensive secondary research through proprietary databases, paid databases, and information available in the public domain. We refer to industry associations, company press releases, annual reports, investor presentations, and research papers. More information about desk research is available upon request.
Who are the respondents for primary research?
Fact.MR speaks to stakeholders across the spectrum, including C-level executives, distributors, product manufacturers, and industry experts. For a full list of primary respondents, please reach out to us.
Is a sample of this report available for evaluation?
Yes, you can request a sample, and it will be sent to you through an email.