Infrared Suppression Systems Market – Introduction
Infrared light or infrared radiation (IR) is a type of radiant energy invisible to human eyes but can be felt in the form of heat. Everything around us emit some amount of IR radiation, but the sun and fire are the two most common sources of this energy.
Infrared radiation is one of the most significant vital stealth signatures that need to be minimized to mask the naval vessels and aircrafts from infrared-guided missiles. An infrared countermeasure (IRCM) is an equipment or instrument used to protect aircraft from IR homing missiles. IRCM confuses the IR guidance system of missiles so that they miss their target. Infrared suppression systems have been gaining growing adoption as a viable IRCM in the proliferating defense industry, which is further driving the market growth.
Infrared Suppression Systems Market – Notable Developments
Some of the leading players operating in the infrared suppression systems market are Honeywell Aerospace, CPI Aero, Northrop Grumman, W.R. Davis Engineering Ltd., Sikorsky Aircraft Corporation, Bell, Andover Corporation, Boeing, and Darchem Engineering Ltd.
Notable developments in the competitive landscape of infrared suppression systems market include:
- In March 2019, Rolls-Royce agreed to design turboshaft engine variants for Bell’s V-280 Valor and V-247 Vigilant tiltrotors. Together the companies are also working on integrated inlet particle protection and exhaust infrared suppression system solutions to reduce environmental impacts to propulsion system durability, while optimizing the survivability and performance of installed propulsion system.
- In December 2018, Northrop Grumman was awarded a US$ 3.6 billion extended contract from Air Force for Large Aircraft Infrared Counter Measures (LAIRCM) production and support services. Under the contract, Northrop Grumman will provide LAIRCM units, logistical support and associated engineering services.
- In October 2018, CPI Aerostructures Inc. received new purchase orders for Hover Infrared Suppression System (HIRSS) module assemblies from Sikorsky Aircraft, a Lockheed Martin Company. Under the agreement, CPI Aerostructures Inc. will deliver module assemblies to be used by UH-60 Black Hawk medium-lift utility helicopter.
Infrared Suppression Systems Market Dynamics
Wide Adoption as IRCM in Defense Industry to Boost Sales of Infrared Suppression Systems
Man-Portable Air Defense System (MANPADS) are the biggest threat to fixed wing military transport aircraft and helicopters, as these systems leverage infra-red guidance to detect and seize an aircraft. As IR MANPADS are comparatively inexpensive, highly portable, easy to use, and difficult to detect, the threat can’t be eliminated. This, in turn, has paved way for countermeasures such as Aircraft Survivability Equipment (ASE), which equip aircraft with self-protection. Optical masking is one of the most effective techniques that are used by infrared suppression systems to block the Line-Of-Sight (LOS) of engine parts of the exhaust geometry. As a result, infrared suppression systems are gaining traction in defense industry to equip an aircraft for self-protection. They provide tactical aircraft protection against shoulder-fired missiles. Furthermore, the dual benefits of infrared suppression systems, including ability to reduce IR missile coupled with capability to boost jammer-to-aircraft signal ratio (J/S) is also accelerating their adoption in defense sector.
Manufacturers Eying Innovation to Design Compact & Lightweight Infrared Suppression Systems
Amid the growing competition in infrared suppression systems market, manufacturers are increasingly incorporating innovation to design compact systems that reduces the overall IR signature of the aircraft. They are focusing on systems that conceal infrared energy emitted from gas turbine engine for a specific angle, and promise minimal impingement of engine exhaust onto adjacent aircraft structure without compromising on aircraft performance characteristics. Several manufacturers are designing infrared suppressor systems that are composed of lightweight composite and glass wool with low thermal conductivity, which further reduces their thicknesses. With manufacturers adopting unique strategies and innovation to provide enhanced variants, the infrared suppression systems market is likely to witness positive changes in the forthcoming years.
High Costing and Complexity Limiting Growth in Infrared Suppression Systems Market
The installation of infrared suppressor increases the overall cost and system complexity, which reduces its reliability significantly. As an infrared suppression system demands fitment of several jet mixing systems, cooling pump, optical block, changed nozzle geometry, it makes the exhaust duct more complex. Moreover, some infrared suppression systems demand alterations in the default exhaust system geometry also. These factors are restricting the growth in infrared suppression systems market.
Infrared Suppression Systems Market – Segmentation
Based on technique, the infrared suppression systems market is segmented into:
- Optical blocking/masking
- Peak temperature reduction
- Skin temperature modification
- Surface property modification
Based on end use, the infrared suppression systems market is segmented into:
The research report presents a comprehensive assessment of the infrared suppression systems market and contains thoughtful insights, facts, and historical data and statistically supported and industry-validated market data. It also contains projections using a suitable set of assumptions and methodologies. The research report provides analysis and information according to infrared suppression systems market segments such as geographies, application and industry.
Infrared suppression systems market report covers exhaustive analysis on:
- Infrared suppression systems Market Segments
- Infrared suppression systems Market Dynamics
- Infrared suppression systems Market Size
- Supply & Demand
- Current Trends/Issues/Challenges
- Competition & Companies involved
- Value Chain
Infrared suppression systems market regional analysis includes:
- North America (U.S., Canada) Infrared Suppression Systems Market
- Latin America (Mexico, Brazil, Argentina, Chile, Peru) Infrared Suppression Systems Market
- Western Europe (Germany, Italy, France, U.K, Spain, BENELUX, Nordic, Eastern Europe) Infrared Suppression Systems Market
- CIS and Russia Infrared suppression systems Market
- Asia-Pacific (China, India, ASEAN, South Korea) Infrared Suppression Systems Market
- Japan Infrared Suppression Systems Market
- Middle East and Africa (GCC Countries, South Africa, Turkey, Iran, Israel) Infrared Suppression Systems Market
The infrared suppression systems market report is a compilation of first-hand information, qualitative and quantitative assessment by industry analysts, inputs from industry experts and industry participants across the value chain. The report provides in-depth analysis of parent market trends, macro-economic indicators and governing factors along with infrared suppression systems market attractiveness as per segments. The report also maps the qualitative impact of various market factors on infrared suppression systems market segments and geographies.
Infrared suppression systems Market Report Highlights:
- Detailed overview of parent market
- Changing market dynamics in the industry
- In-depth market segmentation
- Historical, current and projected market size in terms of volume and value
- Recent industry trends and developments
- Competitive landscape
- Strategies of key players and Products offered
- Potential and niche segments, geographical regions exhibiting promising growth
- A neutral perspective on market performance
- Must-have information for market players to sustain and enhance their market footprint
Benefits of Becoming a Fact.MR Client
- Access to our global market coverage
- Periodic updates on your sector
- Exclusive discounts and offers
- Greater flexibility for customization
- Quick-research assistance for ad-hoc needs
- Access to credible insights Fact.MR analyst interactions
- Access to Fact.MR tools and research to fuel strategy development