Bifurcation Lesions Market
Bifurcation Lesions Market Size, Share & Growth Analysis, By Type (One-stent Bifurcation Lesions, Two-stent Bifurcation Lesions), By Application (Coronary Vascular, Peripheral Vascular), & By Region - Global Market Insights 2023-2033
Analysis of Bifurcation Lesions Market Covering 30+ Countries Including Analysis of US, Canada, UK, Germany, France, Nordics, GCC countries, Japan, Korea and many more
Bifurcation Lesions Market Outlook (2023-2033)
The global bifurcation lesions market was valued at US$ 2.25 billion in 2022. Global sales of bifurcation lesion devices are expected to increase at a CAGR of 6% and reach a market valuation of US$ 4.26 billion by the end of 2033.
Rising demand for the treatment of coronary bifurcation lesions is due to the availability of treatments specifically designed to treat lesions near the coronary bifurcation, their greater awareness about the treatment procedures, and an increase in percutaneous coronary intervention operations.
Based on application, bifurcation lesions are categorized into coronary vascular and peripheral vascular. Demand for coronary vascular procedures is expected to increase at a similar CAGR of 6% during the next 10 years and this can be attributed to the continuing clinical trials and investments by market participants for the development of bifurcation lesion gadgets. This will probably lead to the launch of new products for coronary bifurcation lesions and expand the uses of current ones for bifurcation lesions.
Demand for peripheral vascular procedures is predicted to rise at a high CAGR of 6.5% during the forecast period. This rise may be due to the rising public knowledge of peripheral arterial diseases (PADs) and their increasing prevalence.
- The National Institutes of Health estimates that 20 percent of Americans over 50 experience PAD.
It is challenging to deploy stents in smaller peripheral arteries, so they cannot be utilised to treat PADs, so angioplasty is the preferred method of treatment. For the treatment of bifurcation lesions, stent implantation is typically chosen over balloon angioplasty.
A "bifurcation lesion" is the term used to describe the constriction of the coronary artery next to the beginning of a substantial side branch (SB). High shear stress and turbulent blood flow make it more likely to generate atherosclerotic plaque.
Techniques used in its treatment include analysis, duration of the treatment, exposure to X-rays, and long-term follow-up. To measure the bifurcation angles, multi-slice computed tomography and three-dimensional (3D) angiography are also used.
The treatment of bifurcation lesions with difficult cases is becoming possible on a global scale due to the advancements in bifurcation stenting techniques, imaging, supplementary medication, and vascular access. Demand for bifurcation lesion procedures is being fuelled by the expansion of insurance coverage for treatments for bifurcation lesions, and advancements in imaging modalities.
Furthermore, sales of bifurcation lesion devices are expected to increase healthily in the next 10 years due to ongoing clinical trials on stents and balloons for bifurcation lesion treatments and the rising occurrence of these lesions. The demand is also projected to be driven by growth in the number of experienced surgeons and a reduction in treatment-associated hazards.
Bifurcation Lesions Market Size (2023E)
US$ 2.38 Billion
Forecasted Market Value (2033F)
US$ 4.26 Billion
Global Market Growth Rate (2023-2033)
China Market Growth Rate (2023-2033)
Japan Market Growth Rate (2023-2033)
Germany Market Growth Rate (2023-2033)
Key Companies Profiled
Know thy Competitors
Competitive landscape highlights only certain players
Complete list available upon request
Which Opportunities Await Bifurcation Lesions Market Players?
“Rising Prevalence of CVDs among Senior Population”
Cardiovascular disorders (CVDs) are becoming more common worldwide. A high number of adults & seniors get affected by CVDs. The cases of cardiovascular disorders among the ageing population are rising globally, which further increases the chances of lesions.
- According to WHO findings, CVD is a common cause of death globally and takes more than 17 million lives each year.
- Coronary heart disease, rheumatic heart disease, cerebrovascular disease, and other illnesses are among the category of heart and blood vessel disorders known as CVDs.
- Heart attacks and strokes account for more than four out of every five CVD deaths, and one-third of these deaths happen before the age of 70.
Unhealthy eating habits, increasing sedentary lifestyles, usage of tobacco products, and drinking alcohol heavily are the main behavioural risk factors for heart disease and stroke.
Thus, the above-mentioned factors boost the demand for bifurcation lesion treatment procedures.
“High Demand for Minimally-invasive Surgeries & Advancing Healthcare Infrastructure”
The demand is being supported by the rising rate of the ageing population, who are more prone to develop medical issues and requires assistance from the government for reimbursement. Increasing demand for minimally-invasive operations, rising medical tourism, and advancing healthcare infrastructure globally are further boosting sales growth.
Apart from that, various ongoing research for developing cutting-edge bifurcation stenting treatment methods are also driving the industry’s growth.
- For, instance the effectiveness of the Szabo 2-stent method for complex bifurcation lesions with a significant risk of compromise or fatal SB blockage is being studied by researchers.
Which Factors Expected to Lower Sales Growth of Bifurcation Lesion Devices?
“High Treatment Costs & Reimbursement Issues”
The demand for stenting bifurcation lesion procedures is increasing at a healthy pace, but some factors may slow the sales growth.
High treatment costs and issues with reimbursement policies are some of the major factors likely to hamper sales growth.
How are New Entrants Gaining Ground in This Competitive Atmosphere?
“New Companies Focused on Developing Advanced Medical Solutions”
New companies in the bifurcation lesions market are focused on producing smart medical devices to build a strong position in the market as well as to earn high revenue shares.
- Echopoint Medical, a company that was established in 2018, is a pioneer in the development of advanced devices for detecting coronary artery disease and microvascular dysfunction. The business is engaged in the development of optical-fiber-based cardiac health monitoring sensors that can be integrated into medical equipment.
It has created the iKOs microcatheter, a device that can be inserted into cardiovascular devices and uses nanomaterials and sensors to detect heart problems.
More Insights, Lesser Cost (-50% off)
Insights on import/export production,
pricing analysis, and more – Only @ Fact.MR
What Allows the United States to Hold a Dominant Market Position in North America?
“Rising Cases of Coronary Artery Diseases”
The United States holds a significant position in the North American market. This is due to the presence of major market players, favourable reimbursement policies, and the high spending power of the population on healthcare.
- The National Center for Health Statistics estimates that every year in the United States, coronary artery diseases (CAD) account for 1 in 4 fatalities, with 785,000 people having their first cardiac arrest and 470,000 living with myocardial infarction.
The opening of specialised clinics and greater funding for coronary stent advancements are driving sales growth in the United States.
How is Demand for Bifurcation Lesion Procedures Evolving in Germany?
“Growing Cases of Heart-related Disorders & Development of Advanced Gadgets for Bifurcations”
Germany’s market for bifurcation lesions is expected to expand at a CAGR of 4% from 2023 to 2033. Rising cases related to heart disorders and ongoing efforts of major manufacturers to develop gadgets for bifurcation lesions with the help of advanced technologies are expected to increase sales growth.
Also, the growing geriatric population with heart disorders, ongoing advancements in R&D, and the high prevalence of chronic disorders will all contribute toward market growth.
Why are Coronary Bifurcation Lesion Treatment Procedures Different in Japan & South Korea?
“Most Coronary Cases are Noted in Both Nations But Treatment Procedures Vary Due to Conceptual or Philosophical Differences”
Coronary bifurcation lesions vary between countries due to variations in lesion severity assessments and treatment methods.
In the Asian region, Japan and South Korea perform the most coronary procedures each year, and both physiologic and imaging guidance are common in these nations. However, due to conceptual or philosophical differences, these nations have different procedures for treating bifurcation.
- For instance, according to a study by National Center for Biotechnology Information,
- To optimise the bifurcation PCI, medical professionals in Japan closely follow imaging guidance at both the pre-and post-percutaneous coronary intervention (PCI) as well as after major arteries stenting, while proximal optimization technique (POT)/re-POT and the recently advised fractional flow reserve (FFR)/instantaneous wave-free ratio (iFR) assessment are frequently used by medical professionals in South Korea.
Thus, the interventions for bifurcation coronary stenting vary between both countries.
When are Two-stent Bifurcation Lesion Method Preferred?
“Tw0-stent Bifurcation Procedure Particularly Preferred in Cases of Large Lesions”
Based on type, the bifurcation lesions are divided into one-stent bifurcation lesions and two-stent bifurcation lesions.
Optimal treatment methods for percutaneous coronary intervention (PCI) of bifurcation lesions are still up for debate. Drug-eluting stents have gradually replaced balloon angioplasty and bare metal stents in the medical field.
If stenting is employed, one important consideration is whether the main vessel and the side branch should both be stented.
The favourable post-procedural angiographic outcomes of double stenting make it appealing. However, long-term significant adverse cardiac events, particularly stent thrombosis with neighbouring stents, have raised some concerns.
But, in cases with a particularly large bifurcation branch, such as main stem lesions or lesions involving bifurcation branches with a diameter almost as large as that of the main branch, double stenting / two-stent bifurcation lesions may be preferred.
Don't Need a Global Report?
save 40%! on Country & Region specific reports
Key players in the global bifurcation lesions market are developing improved solutions by employing innovative technologies. They are also focusing on collaborations and purchases to improve their product line and generate more income.
- On June 10, 2019, eight interventional product categories underwent new group purchasing product agreements with Premier owing to Cordis, a Cardinal Health Company.
- A brand-new, innovative radial to periphery self-expanding stent was introduced by Terumo in September 2019. The corporation benefited from the introduction of this new product by growing its product line and increasing income.
- Abbott announced the introduction of Ultreon 1.0 Software powered by Al, a coronary imaging platform, in Europe in April 2021. The software's goal is to increase calcium-based blockage identification and artery diameter measurement while coronary stenting operations.
Key Segments of Bifurcation Lesions Industry Research
By Type :
- One-stent Bifurcation Lesions
- Two-stent Bifurcation Lesions
By Application :
- Coronary Vascular
- Peripheral Vascular
By Region :
- North America
- Latin America
- East Asia
- South Asia & Oceania
- FAQs -
Global sales of bifurcation lesion devices are valued at US$ 2.38 billion in 2023 and are predicted to reach US$ 4.26 billion by 2033.
The global bifurcation lesions market is likely to increase at a CAGR of 6% during the forecast period.
The U.S., Germany, Japan, and South Korea are leading markets for bifurcation lesions.
Rising cases of coronary artery diseases, increasing investments in R&D, and production of advanced medical devices for lesion treatments are driving product sales growth.
Cardinal Health Company, Terumo, and Abbott are leading manufacturers of bifurcation lesion devices.