Swarm Intelligence Market
Swarm Intelligence Market Analysis By Capability (Optimization, Clustering, Scheduling, Routing), By Application (Robotics, Drones, Human Swarming), By End User (Transportation & Logistics, Robotics & Automation, Healthcare, Retail & e-Commerce, Others) & Region – Global Market Insights 2023 to 2033
Swarm Intelligence Market Analysis, By Capability (Optimization, Clustering, Scheduling, Routing), By Application (Robotics, Drones, Human Swarming), By End User (Transportation & Logistics, Robotics & Automation, Healthcare, Retail & e-Commerce, Others)
Swarm Intelligence Market Outlook (2023 to 2033)
The global swarm intelligence market is estimated to boom at a CAGR of 40.5%, rising from its current valuation of US$ 15 million to reach US$ 450 million by the end of 2033.
Swarm intelligence is an emerging technology that is influenced by the behavior of social elements such as ants, wasps, and bees. Swarm intelligence is an artificial network of agents that communicate with one another using simple rules based on various algorithms. Swarming is an artificial intelligence field that is built on self-organized and decentralized systems. It concentrates on collective behavior via local interactions between individuals in a group.
Swarm intelligence can be utilized to obtain a common outcome that involves humans through their collective decisions. This can be attained through a software program that enables humans to work collectively to find a solution. Hence, swarm intelligence is critical in achieving coordination among all agents in a group.
Increasing labor costs have been a source of concern for industries all around the world. Labor costs are a substantial portion of total operating costs, accounting for 60% to 65%. Where companies encompass an area of more than 200,000 square feet, manual occupations generally consist of two types of staff: direct and indirect.
Direct staff is in charge of carrying out the process, whereas indirect staff is in charge of providing back-end assistance to direct staff. The involvement of both direct and indirect staff, as well as department supervisors, is a high cost in running a warehouse.
Moreover, emerging countries are experiencing a steady increase in the aging workforce, which has resulted in concerns regarding safety, productivity, and quality control. As a result, industrial automation has emerged as a crucial strategy for addressing growing labor costs and workforce aging. Consequently, warehouse and industrial operators are increasingly relying on robotics to reduce operational expenses while keeping production at peak levels. This is where swarm intelligence comes into play.
Swarm intelligence is also being used to address location challenges, which is boosting its adoption in the transportation and logistics industries. In transportation, increased operational costs for businesses and long travel times necessitate the requirement for analytical models that can be solved using the swarm intelligence-powered Ant Colony Optimization algorithm for route optimization.
Furthermore, swarm intelligence's embedded process throughout retail logistics gives an enormous opportunity for e-commerce firms to automate their delivery services across their operational zones. As a result of these characteristics, global demand for swarm intelligence is booming.
Swarm Intelligence Market Size in 2023
US$ 15 Million
Projected Market Value (2033)
US$ 450 Million
Global Market Growth Rate (2023 to 2033)
North American Market Share (2022)
Leading Application Segment
Key Companies Profiled
Why is Swarm Intelligence Technology Picking Up Steam?
“Soaring Demand for Big Data Analytics”
Burgeoning demand for big data analytics is pushing the need for swarm intelligence methods. Big data analytics is being driven by increasing demand for insights from both organized and unorganized data on customer expectations, product descriptions, and market trends.
Big data analytics is separated into four components: multi-objective optimization, dynamical data management, high dimensional data management, and a huge amount of data management. Swarm intelligence methods can assist in creating efficient solutions for huge data analytics difficulties.
Don't Need a Global Report?
save 40%! on Country & Region specific reports
What are the Major Challenges for Companies Providing Swarm Intelligence technologies?
“Inadequate Technical Expertise and Growing Concerns about Data Privacy”
The swarm intelligence industry is facing several hurdles, such as a lack of technical expertise in many countries and regions, which can limit its expansion in those areas. Furthermore, given the increased risk of cyberattacks, data privacy concerns related to technology are a big growth limitation.
- According to an IBM estimate, the average global cost of a data breach in 2020 was US$ 3.76 million, with the US incurring US$ 8.54 million.
Moreover, high initial investment costs linked with intelligence, expensive research costs, and so on can act as major barriers in the coming years.
Why is the United States a Huge Market for Swarm Intelligence?
“Strong Usage of Swarm-powered Drones in Military & Defense Sector”
North America accounted for 45.2% share of the global market for swarm intelligence in 2022, according to this latest analysis by Fact.MR, a market research and competitive intelligence provider. The United States is making substantial contributions to the regional market due to the increasing use of swarm-based drones in military and defense agencies.
- According to the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), the overall sales of drones in the United States surpassed US$ 7 million in 2021.
Furthermore, increasing demand for route analytics as a result of automation in the local retail e-commerce sector is boosting the demand for swarm intelligence.
Why are Japan & South Korea Rapidly Emerging Markets for Swarm Intelligence?
“Increasing Use of AI and Advent of Robotics”
Demand for swarm intelligence in Asia Pacific is growing due to quick urbanization, rapid internet penetration, a spike in digitization, and rapid technological developments. The demand for swarm intelligence is steadily growing in Japan and South Korea. With the growing usage of AI and the advent of robotics, the use of swarm intelligence in these countries is expected to skyrocket over the next ten years.
Which Country is Leading European Market Growth?
“Germany to Be Lucrative Market for Swarm Intelligence Tech”
Europe is predicted to witness considerable market growth due to increased awareness of the potential of swarm intelligence in the region. Germany is leading market growth in Europe due to the increased use of swarm intelligence for automation purposes in the automotive industry.
More Insights, Lesser Cost (-50% off)
Insights on import/export production,
pricing analysis, and more – Only @ Fact.MR
Why are Swarm-based Drones Gaining Immense Popularity?
“Increasing Usage in Military and Defense Industry”
Demand for drones has risen dramatically in recent years, which is expected to be a major driver of swarm intelligence adoption in the coming years. A drone is an aircraft-shaped device with no person or team that utilizes swarm algorithms to locate a specific target or resource in a more elaborate manner. Swarm intelligence applied to drones outperforms simple scanning techniques.
- For example, the HL-150 swarm intelligence-powered drone will be ready in India by 2024 and will be capable of transporting around 150 kg of cargo over a distance of 150 kilometers. This is touted to be India's first 'heavy lift' drone, capable of revolutionizing and redefining e-commerce deliveries.
Moreover, swarm intelligence drones are widely employed in defense and military applications, and their high efficiency and precision are projected to fuel market expansion in the future years.
- For example, several governments announced swarm intelligence projects in 2022, including the French Icarus project, the Spanish RAPAZ, Russian Lighting, and the United Kingdom's Blue Bear Swarm, which are intended to play a vital role in the nation's defense and security.
Furthermore, swarm intelligence is also widely used in robotics.
- For example, Russia's new "Marker" project is an unmanned ground vehicle equipped with anti-tank missiles and machine guns that can be used not just for military objectives but also for scientific study on the moon and other planets.
The global market is moderately competitive. Key players in the swarm intelligence market are actively pursuing marketing techniques such as partnerships, acquisitions, investments, technological innovations, and R&D activities to strengthen and widen their overseas footprint.
The market has witnessed numerous new developments in recent years. Moreover, many start-ups are exploring ways to integrate swarm intelligence with previously untapped applications.
- Cubbit, an Italian start-up, is developing a distributed system for cloud storage. To achieve speed and anonymity, the start-up's solution employs swarm intelligence, with each Cubbit Cell operating as a node in a swarm. Cubbit Cells' peer-to-peer (P2P) network offers extremely secure, sustainable, and collaborative cloud storage. Furthermore, when compared to conventional data centers, the cost of maintaining these systems is substantially lower.
- Brainalyzed, a German start-up, provides an enterprise AI platform for swarm intelligence. The system allows fintech customers to scale profits and predict market fluctuations. To enhance decision-making, the start-up's technology integrates artificial swarm intelligence with data analytics. The technology also detects irregularities in a variety of industries, including energy, manufacturing, and telecommunications.
- AGILOX, an Austrian start-up, is developing automated guided vehicles (AGVs) using swarm intelligence. Without the use of an external control system, intelligent logistics vehicles communicate with one another. To enhance efficiency, the solution supports dynamic order distribution and context-specific redistribution. AGILOX vehicles can also restructure themselves to suit many functions.
- Reach Labs, a start-up established in the United States, is developing long-range wireless technologies. The unique algorithms developed by the start-up discover efficient routes for power transmission to several devices at the same time. The start-up provides a swarm intelligence solution for large, power-intensive devices. This technique is also useful for applications that make use of swarms of drones, industrial robots, or autonomous vehicles.
- SkyGrid, a joint venture between Spark Cognition and Boeing, revealed a plan to implement AI-powered cybersecurity systems on drones in June 2022.
Know thy Competitors
Competitive landscape highlights only certain players
Complete list available upon request
Key Segments of Swarm Intelligence Industry Research
By Capability :
By Application :
- Human Swarming
By End User :
- Transportation & Logistics
- Robotics & Automation
- Retail & e-Commerce
By Region :
- North America
- Latin America
- Asia Pacific & China
- Middle East & Africa
- FAQs -
The global swarm intelligence market is valued at US$ 15 million in 2023.
The market for swarm intelligence technology is projected to reach US$ 450 million by 2033.
Global demand for swarm intelligence is expected to boom at a CAGR of 40.5% during the forecast period.
Usage of swarm-based drones in the military and defense industry is predicted to surge over the coming years.
North America accounted for 45.2% share of the global market in 2022.
Bosch Mobility Solutions, Apium Swarm Robotics, Enswarm Ltd, Brainalyzed Holding GmbH, Kim Technologies, Continental AG, Hydromea SA, and Grey Orange Pte Ltd are key swarm intelligence technology providers.