2-Butanone is an organic compound from a family of ketones that are found in trace amounts in nature. It is produced by few trees as well as found in certain vegetables and fruits. 2-Butanone is also known by names such as methyl ethyl ketone (MEK), butanone, butan-2-one, etc. It is a colourless liquid which has a sharp and sweet odour that resembles butterscotch or acetone. 2-butanone can be released from automobile exhaust. It is commercially produced by the catalytic dehydrogenation of 2-butanol and it can be also extracted by fractionation in Fischer-Tropsch reaction. 2-Butanone has various applications across different industries. However, among other applications, 2-Butanone is mainly used as a solvent in several industries. It is one of the components used in the production of solvent systems used for magnetic tapes. 2-Butanone is also used as an adhesive as well as a de-waxing agent. It is also used for degreasing metal surfaces, especially in the aerospace industry. Due to its wide applications, 2-butanone is gaining interest from many industries.
However, 2-Butanone is considered a hazardous air pollutant by some regions. It has the ability to potentiate the toxicity of other solvents and it is highly flammable in nature. Owing to these factors, regulations are being imposed on the exposure limit of 2-Butanone.
2-Butanone Market: Dynamics
Growth in population and urbanization is driving the growth of the construction industry, which is increasing the demand for paints and coatings. As the paints and coatings market is growing, the demand for 2-butanone is increasing, which is boosting the market. Increasing global transportation and the rising demand for automobiles is boosting the aerospace and automotive industry. The growth of these industries is increasing the consumption 2-butanone as it is a degreasing agent for metal surfaces, which is propelling the market. Apart from these industries, the growth of chemical & polymer industries is very rapid in this modern world, which is leading to the growth of the market because of its application in various chemical and polymer processing processes. Growth in population is also boosting the production of the textile industry, which is boosting the 2-butanone market because of its use in textile processing.
However, due to regulations governing the level of exposure of 2-butanone because of its flammable nature and health effects, companies are in the search of alternatives. In addition, it has been enlisted as table 2 precursor under the name of United Nations Convention against Illicit Traffic in Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances. These are some of the factors restraining the growth of the market.
2-Butanone Market: Segmentation
The global 2-Butanone market can be segmented on the basis of end use and applications.
The global 2-Butanone market is segmented on the basis its end use as:
- Polymer processing
- Paints and coatings
- Automotive and aerospace
- Others (leather, oil and lubricants)
The global 2-butanone market is segmented on the basis of its applications as:
- De-waxing agent
- Degreasing agent for metal surface
- Printing inks
- Artificial leather
- Specialty paints
- Manufacturing of MEK Oxime and MEK peroxide
- Epoxy glass lamination
- Rubber based industrial cement
- Solvent for
- Nitrocellulose, acrylic and vinyl surface coatings
- Processing of ABS, polystyrene and SBR
2-Butanone Market: Regional Outlook
Paints and coating industries are growing at a healthy pace in the Asia Pacific region, along with industries such as chemicals, plastic and polymer processing in countries such as India and China, along with other APAC countries. The automotive industry is growing in countries such as Japan and other APAC countries. Hence, this region is a prominent market for 2-butanone.
North America and Western Europe are mature markets that are steadily growing. These regions are steady markets for 2-butanone because of the presence of large automotive and chemical industries. Regions such as Latin America and Eastern Europe are registering lucrative growth, which makes them potential markets for 2-butanone. 2-Butanone is used in oil and lubricants industries in the MEA regions, which are growing at a healthy pace, thus making this region a lucrative market for 2-Butanone.
2-Butanone Market-Key Participants:
Key participants in the global 2-Butanone market include:
- Maruzen Petrochemical Co., Ltd.
- Prasol Chemicals Pvt. Ltd.
- Exxon Mobil Corporation
- Shell Chemicals
- Idemitsu Kosan Co., Ltd.
- Cetex Petrochemicals
- SK Group
The research report presents a comprehensive assessment of the market and contains thoughtful insights, facts, historical data and statistically supported and industry-validated market data. It also contains projections using a suitable set of assumptions and methodologies. The research report provides analysis and information according to market segments such as geographies, application and industry.
The report covers exhaust analysis on:
- Market Segments
- Market Dynamics
- Market Size
- Supply & Demand
- Current Trends/Issues/Challenges
- Competition & Companies involved
- Value Chain
Regional analysis includes:
- North America (U.S., Canada)
- Latin America (Mexico, Brazil, Argentina, Chile, Peru)
- Western Europe (Germany, Italy, France, U.K, Spain, BENELUX, Nordic, Eastern Europe)
- CIS and Russia
- Asia-Pacific (China, India, ASEAN, South Korea)
- Middle East and Africa (GCC Countries, South Africa, Turkey, Iran, Israel)
The report is a compilation of first-hand information, qualitative and quantitative assessment by industry analysts, inputs from industry experts and industry participants across the value chain. The report provides in-depth analysis of parent market trends, macro-economic indicators and governing factors along with market attractiveness as per segments. The report also maps the qualitative impact of various market factors on market segments and geographies.
- Detailed overview of parent market
- Changing market dynamics in the industry
- In-depth market segmentation
- Historical, current and projected market size in terms of volume and value
- Recent industry trends and developments
- Competitive landscape
- Strategies of key players and products offered
- Potential and niche segments, geographical regions exhibiting promising growth
- A neutral perspective on market performance
- Must-have information for market players to sustain and enhance their market footprint
NOTE - All statements of fact, opinion, or analysis expressed in reports are those of the respective analysts. They do not necessarily reflect formal positions or views of Fact.MR
Benefits of Becoming a Fact.MR Client
- Access to our global market coverage
- Periodic updates on your sector
- Exclusive discounts and offers
- Greater flexibility for customization
- Quick-research assistance for ad-hoc needs
- Access to credible insights Fact.MR analyst interactions
- Access to Fact.MR tools and research to fuel strategy development