Cell Line Development Market
Cell Line Development Market By Product Type (Immunotherapy Cell Lines, Ion Channel Cell Lines, GPCR Cell Lines), By Application (Basic Research, Toxicity Screening, Drug Screening), By End User & By Region - Global Market Insights 2023 to 2033
Analysis of Cell Line Development Market Covering 30+ Countries Including Analysis of US, Canada, UK, Germany, France, Nordics, GCC countries, Japan, Korea and many more
Cell Line Development Market Outlook (2023 to 2033)
The value of the global cell line development market stands at US$ 4.97 billion in 2023 and is projected to reach a valuation of US$ 8.2 billion by the end of 2033. Over the next ten years, Fact.MR’s research projects global demand for cell line development to rise at 5.1% CAGR.
Rising demand for cell line development around the world can be primarily ascribed to the high prevalence of chronic disorders and ever-increasing research activities in the medical industry. Growing adoption of cell lines in several medical research applications and rising demand for novel drug discovery procedures are also expected to drive the demand for cell line development services in the future.
- In May 2021, Eyestem, a company focusing on providing affordable cell therapies, announced that it had raised funding from Endiya Partners, a leading venture capital firm in India. Eyestem had plans to use the capital to advance its research and scale its business to provide affordable cell therapies for the Indian people.
Surging use of human cells in clinical research owing to their ability to produce human proteins that bear post-translational modifications (PTMs) are also projected to positively impact market growth going forward. Advancements in cell research and growing demand for cell therapies are also expected to uplift sales of cell line development products over the coming years.
Recombinant cell lines, mammalian cell lines, animal cell lines, and stem cell lines are expected to witness a notable hike in demand as well as popularity across the forecast period and beyond. Increasing awareness regarding the efficacy and benefits of regenerative medicine around the world is slated to fuel research and redefine the limits of the cell line development industry through 2033.
On the flip side, unclear regulatory guidelines and lack of awareness regarding cell lines and cell line development around the world are anticipated to be major constraints for market evolution in the long run. High chances of contamination and high initial costs for laboratory set-ups are also expected to be major challenges for cell line development companies over the next ten years and beyond.
Cell Line Development Market Size (2023)
US$ 4.97 Billion
Projected Market Value (2033F)
US$ 8.2 Billion
Global Market Growth Rate (2023 to 2033)
Market Share of Biopharmaceutical Companies (2033F)
Market Share of the United States in North America (2023)
Key Companies Profiled
Don't Need a Global Report?
save 40%! on Country & Region specific reports
How Can New Companies Push the Boundaries of Cell Line Development?
“Unlocking Full Potential of Cells - Key to Pushing Limits of Growth Potential”
All types of human cells have the genetic information necessary to become any specific kind of cell, which means there is still a lot of potential in cell therapy that is yet to be unlocked. Incoming cell line development companies are investing heavily in research to come up with novel products and solutions that could transform our understanding of the importance of cells in the healthcare industry.
- A United Kingdom-based startup called bit.bio founded in 2016, is focusing on revolutionizing drug discovery and clinical research by utilizing precisely engineered human cells. The company currently offers muscle cell lines that have been reprogrammed to create genetic modifications and help in different healthcare research and drug discovery applications.
- Asimov, a synthetic biology company founded in 2017, raised US$ 175 billion in a Series B funding round led that was led by the Canada Pension Plan Investment Board (CPP Investments) in January 2023. The company is building tools to program living cells by combining mammalian synthetic biology with advanced computer-aided design technologies.
Lab-grown meat and cell culture meat has been gaining popularity in recent years and this is where animal cells are anticipated to witness a hike in demand going forward. Cell line development start-ups are coming up with unique solutions to prepare cultured meat using animal cells.
- A Korean start-up called CellQua, specializing in aquaculture cultured meat, announced that it had raised a seed investment in April 2023, from Sopoong Ventures, an impact investor. The company was expected to use cells from aquatic animals such as eels, squids, and loaches to develop cultured meat.
- In October 2022, TissenBioFarm, a new company focusing on sustainable food production, announced that it had raised around US$ 1.6 billion in a pre-Series A financing round led by Envisioning Partners. The company uses living animal cells and functional bio-ink to create cultured meat.
An exhaustive analysis of how aspects such as new developments, supply chain management, product standards, pricing trends, and safety regulations are affected by start-ups has been extensively discussed in this latest cell line development market research study by analysts at Fact.MR, a market research and competitive intelligence provider.
Which are the Most Appealing Markets for Cell Line Development in APAC?
“China, South Korea, Japan – Leading Asian Markets”
Increasing investments in healthcare infrastructure development in Asian countries is a prominent factor that is projected to uplift the demand for cell line development in the Asia Pacific region over the coming years. The surging popularity of stem cell therapies, growing demand for regenerative medicine, and high investments in medical research are other prospects that create moneymaking opportunities for cell line development companies in APAC.
Supportive government initiatives to promote healthcare infrastructure development in China, Japan, and South Korea are expected to primarily bolster demand for cell line development services across the forecast period. Induced pluripotent stem cells (iPSCs), isogeneic cell lines, epidermal cell sheets, and stable cell lines are projected to have a bright demand outlook in the aforementioned Asian countries through 2033.
What’s Attracting Cell Line Development Providers to Europe?
“Continuously Rising Demand for Regenerative Medicine”
Regenerative therapies and treatments have witnessed a notable hike in popularity in the European region in recent years, which has subsequently favored demand for regenerative medicines. Increasing investments in healthcare infrastructure development and rising healthcare research activity in European countries are also projected to uplift sales of cell line development tools and products in the future.
Increasing acceptance and awareness regarding stem cell therapies and notable advancements in the fields of nano healthcare technology, chemical biology, genetic engineering, etc. are also projected to further promulgate cell line development demand in the European region going forward. France, Spain, and the United Kingdom are anticipated to emerge as highly rewarding markets in this region in the long run.
On the contrary, restrictions regarding stem cell research in certain European countries such as Germany and Italy are expected to hinder market growth in the European region throughout the forecast period.
Why is the United States a Crucial Market in This Space?
“High Spending on Medical Research and Presence of Key Biopharmaceutical Companies”
The United States is estimated to emerge as one of the most captivating marketplaces for cell line development in the world and this is why it is projected to offer highly remunerative business opportunities for cell line development providers as well. Rising investments in medical R&D from the public and private sectors is an elemental aspect that is slated to foster market growth in the country over the next ten years.
The presence of key biopharmaceutical companies, surging demand for cell therapies, quick adoption of novel cell line development approaches, and the surging popularity of automated cell line development are other factors that are projected to sculpt market development across the forecast period. High incidence of cancer and rising demand for cell therapies to treat the same are also expected to boost cell line development demand in the United States over the coming years.
- At present, demand for cell line development in the United States accounts for more than 90% share of the North American regional market.
More Insights, Lesser Cost (-50% off)
Insights on import/export production,
pricing analysis, and more – Only @ Fact.MR
Where Will Demand for Cell Line Development Soar High?
“Biopharmaceutical Companies to Spearhead Market Development”
Based on end user, the market for cell line development is segmented into contract research organizations (CROs), forensic science laboratories, biopharmaceutical companies, food & beverage companies, academic & research institutes, diagnostic centers, and others.
Surging demand for new medications and antibiotics owing to the growing prevalence of chronic diseases around the world is anticipated to be a prime factor driving cell line development demand in biopharmaceutical companies over the coming years. High investments in medical research and increasing demand for novel healthcare products are also expected to benefit the demand outlook in biopharmaceutical organizations in the future.
- By the end of the forecast period, biopharmaceutical companies are estimated to account for nearly 35% of the global market share.
Healthcare contract research organizations and academic research institutes are also anticipated to witness a notable surge in demand for cell line development across the forecast period as focus on research bolsters around the world.
Leading cell line development providers are focusing on research and development of unique approaches that could aid in the creation of better and more effective cell therapies to treat various diseases.
- In January 2023, Berkeley Lights Inc., a leading life sciences tools provider, announced the launch of a new optofluidic system for cell line development. The Beacon Select™ system is based on the same technology that its predecessor was launched with back in 2017.
Know thy Competitors
Competitive landscape highlights only certain players
Complete list available upon request
Key Segments of Cell Line Development Industry Research
By Product Type :
- Immunotherapy Cell Lines
- Ion Channel Cell Lines
- GPCR Cell Lines
- Cell Signaling Pathway Cell Lines
- Gene Knockout Cell Lines
- Cancer Cell Lines
By Application :
- Drug Discovery & Development
- Basic Research
- Toxicity Screening
- Biopharmaceutical Production
- Drug Screening
- Tissue Engineering
- Forensic Testing
By End User :
- Biopharmaceutical Companies
- Contract Research Organizations (CROs)
- Academic & Research Institutes
- Forensic Science Laboratories
- Food & Beverage Companies
- Diagnostic Centers
By Region :
- North America
- Latin America
- FAQs -
The global cell line development market is valued at US$ 4.97 billion in 2023.
Revenue of the cell line development industry is set to reach US$ 8.2 billion by 2033-end.
Worldwide cell line development demand is predicted to rise at 5.1% CAGR from 2023 to 2033.
Cell line development demand in the United States accounts for more than 90% share of the North American market.
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc., WuXi AppTec Co. Ltd., Corning Incorporated, Selexis SA, Sigma-Aldrich Corporation, and Sartorius AG are key companies in this market.