Automotive Knee Airbags Market
Automotive Knee Airbags Market By Coating (Neoprene-coated, Silicone-coated, Non-coated), By Vehicle Type (Compact Passenger Cars, Premium Passenger Cars, Mid-sized Passenger Cars, Luxury Passenger Cars, Others), By Yarn (Nylon, Polyester), By Sales Channel & Region - Global Market Insights 2023 to 2033
Analysis of Automotive Knee Airbags Market Covering 30+ Countries Including Analysis of US, Canada, UK, Germany, France, Nordics, GCC countries, Japan, Korea and many more
Automotive Knee Airbags Market Outlook (2023 to 2033)
Global demand for automotive knee airbags is estimated at US$ 186.70 million for 2023 and is forecasted to climb to US$ 320.1 million by 2033-end. The global automotive knee airbags market is predicted to exhibit expansion at a steady 5.5% CAGR over the next ten years.
Automotive knee airbags are protective devices that are placed below the steering on the driver’s side and below the glove compartment on the passenger side to provide safety in case of a collision. Airbags are designed to inflate rapidly upon vehicle impact and cushion the people inside the vehicle to minimize fatal injuries.
Knee airbags help drivers and passengers maintain their proper position and guard from severe leg injuries that often result in disabilities. The increasing prevalence of road accidents and rising mortality rates due to these accidents are projected to boost demand for automotive knee airbags across the forecast period.
- As per statistics listed on the World Health Organization website, around 1.3 million people die due to road traffic crashes around the world. The statistics also depict that as high as 93% of the fatalities originate from low to middle-income countries.
Implementation of stringent road safety mandates and safety standards for automotive manufacturers around the world is also anticipated to positively impact shipments of automotive knee airbags over the next ten years.
- Nitin Gadkari, the Union Road Transport and Highways Minister of India, announced that it was mandatory for passenger cars in India to have 6 airbags from October 2022.
Increasing disposable income, changing consumer preferences, surging demand for novel safety systems, rising awareness regarding the benefits of airbags in vehicles, and advancements in automotive airbag technologies are other prospects that could alter automotive knee airbag sales throughout the forecast period. Automotive curtain airbags and steering airbags are some other popular types of airbags used in vehicles.
Market Size (2023)
US$ 186.7 Million
Projected Market Value (2033F)
US$ 320.1 Million
Global Market Growth Rate (2023 to 2033)
Market Share of Neoprene-coated Knee Airbags (2033F)
Key Companies Profiled
Don't Need a Global Report?
save 40%! on Country & Region specific reports
Do Knee Airbags Make a Difference?
“Studies Depicting Little to No Effect of Knee Airbags on Risk of Leg Injury”
Skepticism regarding the effectiveness of knee airbags has been around ever since they had been introduced to the world. However, they are still largely considered important safety measures in vehicles and are especially used in high-end premium and luxury vehicles.
- In 2019, The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS), an educational, scientific, and non-profit organization based in the United States, released a statement claiming that knee airbags offer little benefit and found that they could even increase the risk of injury in certain cases. The organization made this statement after analyzing crash test data, real-world crash reports, and 400 frontal crash tests. A real-world analysis depicted that knee airbags reduced the risk of injury from 7.9% to 7.4%, which was seen as insignificant and equivalent to having no knee airbags in the vehicle.
This depicts how automotive knee airbags could use a redesign and improve their effectiveness in providing safety to passengers in vehicles. Automotive knee airbag manufacturers should focus on investing in the R&D of new and advanced knee airbag designs that significantly reduce the risk of a leg injury for passengers and drivers.
This need for redesign and restructuring of knee airbags in the automotive industry is projected to create highly lucrative business opportunities for new companies as they can come up with novel solutions and establish their name in the global landscape.
- Safeware, a South Korean start-up founded in 2016, is developing smart protective gear for various applications such as automotive, construction, senior care, leisure, etc. The company offers a wearable airbag that is made up of unique material and inflates in under 1/5 of a second while using AI (artificial technology) to detect collisions and falls.
An elaborative account of market trends such as new developments, supply chain management, product standards, global demand, pricing trends, and safety regulations affecting market development have been mentioned in this newly updated automotive knee airbags market research study by Fact.MR, a market research and competitive intelligence provider.
Will Japan Offer Moneymaking Opportunities for Market Players?
“Presence of Key Automotive Manufacturers to Offer Lucrative Growth Scope”
Japan is home to some of the most prominent automotive manufacturers in the world such as Honda, Toyota, Mazda, Nissan, etc. Most of the vehicles manufactured by these companies are exported around the world and are equipped with advanced automotive safety technologies to ensure passenger safety.
- As per a report published by the Japan Automobile Manufacturers Association, deaths related to road traffic hit the lowest level since 1958, the year from which the National Police Agency began keeping a record of these deaths. More than 50% of traffic-related mortalities were of the age of 65 or above in 2021.
Rising production of vehicles with better safety features is projected to bolster shipments of automotive knee airbags in Japan over the next ten years. The growing deployment and adoption of active vehicle safety systems and technologies by Japanese car manufacturers are also expected to favor market growth going forward.
Which Prime Factors are Driving Automotive Knee Airbag Sales in Europe?
“Rising Focus on Road Safety & Increasing High Net-worth Individuals”
Implementation of new road safety and driving mandates in Europe is anticipated to be a major factor that is projected to bolster automotive knee airbag demand over the coming years.
- On 1st March 2023, the European Commission presented new proposals to modernize the rules for driving licenses and introduction of a new digital license that will be valid across the European Union. The new rules are expected to help the European Union achieve its Vision Zero (no deaths on EU roads) by 2050.
The number of high net-worth individuals in Europe has been witnessing a notable increase in recent years and is projected to influentially augment demand for automotive knee airbags. High net-worth individuals are propelling the demand for luxury and premium cars with advanced safety features and systems, which in turn is slated to benefit the market growth in European countries through 2033.
The presence of a robust automotive manufacturing sector, rising adoption of advanced automotive technologies, increasing focus on vehicle and road safety, and the presence of key automotive component suppliers are other factors that could alter shipments of automotive knee airbags in European countries such as Germany, Italy, France, and the United Kingdom.
Will the United States be an Opportune Market for Automotive Knee Airbag Vendors?
“Rising Number of Traffic Fatalities to Boost Adoption of Knee Airbags”
Traffic and road-related fatalities have witnessed an overall increase in the United States and this is projected to promote demand for automotive safety technologies and products in the country over the coming years.
- In May 2022, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) released an estimate of traffic fatalities for 2021, which projected that around 42,915 died in vehicle traffic crashes, a 10.5% increase from fatalities recorded in 2020.
The government of the United States and transport-related authorities are launching and supporting new initiatives to bolster road safety and reduce the rate of mortality due to road accidents.
- On 1st February 2023, Pete Buttigieg, the Transportation Secretary of the United States, announced a US$ 800 million grant through the first round of funding for the Safe Streets and Roads for All (SS4A) grant program for 510 projects.
Rising automotive production, increasing sales of passenger cars, implementation of strict safety mandates, growing awareness regarding vehicle safety among the general population, and quick adoption of advanced automotive safety systems such as ADAS (Advanced Driver Assistance System), ESC (Electronic Stability Control), etc. are other prospects that could boost demand for automotive knee airbags in the United States over the coming years.
More Insights, Lesser Cost (-50% off)
Insights on import/export production,
pricing analysis, and more – Only @ Fact.MR
Which Vehicles Account for High Sales of Automotive Knee Airbags?
“Surging Luxury Passenger Car Sales Driving Market Growth”
Based on vehicle type, the market for automotive knee airbags is segmented into compact passenger cars, mid-sized passenger cars, luxury passenger cars, premium passenger cars, light commercial vehicles, and heavy commercial vehicles.
Knee airbags have been around for quite a while now but have witnessed a slow rate of adoption as compared to other airbags. Knee airbags are mostly found in premium and luxury passenger cars as they increase the overall cost and complexity of production for automotive companies. Rising disposable income and changing standards of living are contributing to surging demand for luxury vehicles, which is projected to uplift automotive knee airbag sales in the future.
Leading automotive companies are focusing on improving their safety standards by adding more airbags to their vehicles, which is projected to create highly lucrative opportunities for automotive knee airbag suppliers to maximize their sales potential through collaborations with key automotive manufacturers.
- In January 2023, BMW, a leading German car manufacturer, announced the launch of its luxury SUV ‘X7’ in India. The car comes in diesel as well as petrol variants with a standard M Sport package and features head airbags, knee airbags, and side airbags for safety.
Key Segments of Automotive Knee Airbags Industry Research
By Coating :
By Vehicle Type :
- Compact Passenger Cars
- Mid-sized Passenger Cars
- Luxury Passenger Cars
- Premium Passenger Cars
- Light Commercial Vehicles
- Heavy Commercial Vehicles
By Yarn :
By Sales Channel :
By Region :
- North America
- Latin America
- FAQs -
The global automotive knee airbags market stands at US$ 186.7 million in 2023.
Implementation of strict road safety mandates and rising awareness about vehicle safety among people are key market drivers.
Worldwide automotive knee airbag shipments are set to rise at 5.5% CAGR and reach a market revenue of US$ 320.1 million by 2033-end.
Neoprene-coated knee airbags are expected to account for an authoritative share of the global industry.
Demand for automotive knee airbags in Europe is estimated to account for a majority of the share of the global market.