Surveying & Mapping Services Market
Surveying & Mapping Services Market Analysis, By Service (Topographic Surveys, Hydrographic Surveys, Cadastral Surveys), By End-use Industry (Environment Monitoring & Control, Defense & Aerospace, Utility & Energy, Oil & Gas Exploration) - Global Market Insights 2022 to 2032
Analysis of Surveying & Mapping Services market covering 30 + countries including analysis of US, Canada, UK, Germany, France, Nordics, GCC countries, Japan, Korea and many more
Surveying and Mapping Services Market Outlook (2022-2032)
The global surveying and mapping services market reached a valuation of US$ 9 billion in 2021 and is expected to further evolve at a CAGR of 3.4% to end up at US$ 13 billion in 2032.
Revenue from surveying and mapping services accounted for nearly 4% of total spending on geospatial services at the end of 2021.
Surveying and Mapping Services Market Size (2021A)
US$ 9 Billion
Estimated Market Value (2022E)
US$ 9.3 Billion
Forecasted Market Value (2032F)
US$ 13 Billion
Global Market Growth Rate (2022-2032)
North America Market Share (2021)
North America Market Growth Rate (2022-2032)
United States Market Growth Rate (2022-2032)
Market Share of Top 5 Companies
Key Companies Profiled
Know thy Competitors
Competitive landscape highlights only certain players
Complete list available upon request
Revenue Analysis of Surveying and Mapping Services (2017-2021) Vs. Market Forecasts (2022-2032)
The surveying and mapping industry has witnessed some of the most promising innovations in recent years. Drones, light detection and ranging (LiDAR) technology, and global positioning systems (GPS) are some of the technologies that are positively impacting the geospatial industry.
Continuous adoption of technology in different industries such as automotive, land surveying, and oil & gas exploration will be key factors driving the demand for geospatial services.
- Short Term (2022 Q2 to 2025): Global demand for surveying and mapping services to rise with the growing mining industry and production of crude oil in developed & developing economies.
- Medium Term (2025-2028): Asia Pacific and North America to witness significant demand for geospatial services with increasing infrastructure development and production of autonomous cars.
- Long Term (2028-2032): Integration of advanced technologies has grown for surveys and mapping. Mapping with a traditional method such as renting an aircraft & a pilot is expensive; therefore, the use of drones has grown prominently. Integration of cloud computing and laser scanning technology has reduced overall risks and excessive project expenditures. Technology integration will have a positive long-term impact on the geospatial market.
Over the 2017-2021 study period, the global surveying and mapping services market evolved at a CAGR of 3.2%. According to the latest industry publication by Fact.MR, a market research and competitive intelligence provider, worldwide demand for surveying and mapping services is projected to increase at 3.4% CAGR from 2022 to 2032.
Market share analysis of surveying and mapping services based on service and region provided in the above image. Under the service segment, topographic surveys account for a leading market share of 46%.
Why are Surveying and Mapping Services Being Increasingly Used?
“Rising Urbanization & Rapid Development of Smart Cities”
Increasing population and rapid urbanization are stimulating the demand for civil infrastructure across the world. Also, smart cities are developing prominently worldwide as they offer a comprehensive digital environment. This digital environment is boosting the security & efficiency of urban systems.
To establish a successful smart city, demand for a digital system like mapping is required, which can visualize and manage the geospatial data in a user-friendly environment. There are over 250 smart city projects ongoing in 178 cities around the world that enjoy huge government spending on energy initiatives, building, transportation, and others, which has been driving the need for efficient surveying and mapping services.
“High Requirement from Oil & Gas Industry”
The oil & gas industry is one of the crucial parts of economy & infrastructure development for any country. Since crude oil & gas are found in deeper layers of the Earth’s crust, it requires precise mapping & imaging technologies for efficient exploration and the drilling of oil wells, which is why the demand for geospatial services is growing all the time.
These services are expected to have tremendous utility in the oil & gas industry to facilitate advanced mapping and spatial analytics, along with enhancing operational efficiency through rich location intelligence.
Increasing production of crude oil across the world is expected to drive the demand for geospatial services.
- As per the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development, worldwide crude oil production in 2020 was 4,131 metric tons, which increased to 4,172 metric tons in 2021.
“Emergence of Laser Scanning & Modeling Technology”
Technology advancements can be a key factor for a company providing geospatial services. Companies reinventing strategy and integrating technology in service offerings and viz.a.viz gain a competitive advantage in this space.
A line of laser light is used in 3D laser scanning, a non-contact, non-destructive method, to digitally capture the geometry of actual items. Scanners can effectively record the shape of physical items as a 3-dimensional representation in the digital world with 3D laser scanning technology. These built-in qualities will create huge demand for this technology among end users.
More Insights, Lesser Cost (-50% off)
Insights on import/export production,
pricing analysis, and more – Only @ Fact.MR
What Roadblock Do Surveying and Mapping Service Providers Face?
“Lack of Skilled Professionals for the Job”
Across the world, many industries are facing a shortage of skilled professionals, difficulty in attracting new talent, and retention of existing employees. For example, the land survey industry is facing challenges to cope with the requirement for skilled professionals. Increasing educational requirements and licensure is one of the prominent factors behind the shortage of skilled professionals, as many state boards across the world require a person to pass a four-year degree before joining work in the surveying field.
- As per a survey conducted by the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) on the lack of skilled professionals in the surveying industry, it has been found that more than 85% of surveyors said that there is a lack of qualified candidates in the market, which is creating problems in the recruitment of surveyors.
Increasing rate of retirement among the current surveyors is also resulting in the dearth of skilled professionals in the market. For instance, around 14% of presently licensed surveyors are under 34 years of age. This has been caused by the surging retirement rate of skilled surveyors and fewer available opportunities in the surveying profession for the younger population.
How is Surveying and Mapping Services Market Growth in North America Fueled by the Oil & Gas Industry?
The United States surveying and mapping services market is currently estimated at US$ 1.83 billion and is expected to reach US$ 2.71 billion by 2032.
New infrastructure development is accelerating the demand for mapping services in the United States, as it helps in analyzing and deciding the location of important proposals for new infrastructure. It also helps in rural area improvement plans, development of cities, land use plan, and others.
- According to the Congressional Budget Office (CBO), the United States spends around US$ 400 billion on public infrastructure, annually.
Increasing production of crude oil is also driving the need for surveying and mapping services in the United States.
- As per the U.S. Energy Information Administration, crude oil production in the United States was 11.18 million barrels per day, which is expected to increase to 11.85 million barrels in 2022.
Will China Be a Lucrative Market for Surveying and Mapping Service Companies?
For the last 3 decades, China has been one of the fastest-growing economies in the world and continues to grow at a higher pace in comparison to most other major countries. This growth has benefitted sectors such as urban development, infrastructure, and transportation, among others.
Apart from the above-mentioned industries, the mining & energy sector makes significant use of geospatial services. China accounts for a significant share across the globe in the production of aluminum, tin, steel, coal, and other compounds. The mining industry plays a crucial role in the overall Chinese economy.
As a result, demand for geospatial services in China has been significantly high and is expected to grow over the coming years as well. The China surveying and mapping services market is expected to reach US$ 2.89 billion by the end of 2032.
Why are Topographic Surveys Expected to Be in High demand?
Increase in infrastructure spending and investments worldwide is creating an opportunity for industry stakeholders to provide advanced topographic survey services. Specific demand for topographic services is projected to remain higher than the average industry growth over the span of the next ten years.
As it efficiently helps in visualizing a building or area of land that is proposed to be developed, it creates accurate mapping & results in minimizing or eliminating future boundary disputes.
The topographic survey segment is expected to evolve at a CAGR of 3.4% over the forecast period.
How Will Surging Production of Autonomous Cars Play a Crucial Role in Market Expansion?
Geospatial services offer real-time traffic information about cars, roads, pedestrians, and others. With the increasing adoption of mapping platforms in autonomous cars, demand for these services in the automotive industry is growing at a rapid pace.
- For instance, in March 2022, Nvidia, a United-States-based computer hardware manufacturing organization, launched a mapping system/platform for autonomous cars, called Drive Map, which encompasses 4.8 million km of roadway across, Asia, North America, and Europe, to be achieved by 2024.
Prominent surveying and mapping service providers are American Surveying & Mapping, Inc., Autodesk Inc., 40Seven Ltd., African Consulting Surveyors, Datapoint Surveying & Mapping, E.L.S. Surveying & Mapping, Inc., Alwarqa Survey Engineering, Apex Surveys, LLP, Asia-Pacific Surveys Ltd., Harris Corporation, Cardno Limited, Compass Surveying & Mapping, LLC, J.D. BARNES LTD, Dynamic Map Platform Co., Ltd., Polosoft Technologies Pvt Ltd., Fugro N.V., Stantec Inc., Surveying & Mapping LLC, Tetra Tech Inc., Topcon Corporation, Mott MacDonald Limited, Secom Group, AECOM, and Trimble Inc.
The global geospatial services market is fragmented and competitive due to the presence of several domestic and global market players. Various marketing strategies are adopted by key players, such as expansions, collaborations, and partnerships.
New product development, as a strategic approach, is being pursued by major companies to drive their market presence across regions.
- In early 2018, Baidu Inc., a China-based Internet service company, announced that it has collaborated with TomTom NV, a Netherlands mapping company, to offer high-definition integrated maps to its Apollo autonomous-vehicle software.
- In April 2019, Ambarella, a developer of high-solution computer vision semiconductors and video processing from California), and Momenta, a China-based autonomous driving technology company, announced the introduction of a collaborative HD mapping platform for autonomous vehicles. The product is designed to offer HD map solutions such as localization, mapping, and updates through crowdsourcing.
- In March 2022, Australia-based Emesent introduced the Hovermap ST autonomous drone LiDAR mapping and surveying payload.
Fact.MR has provided detailed information about the providers of surveying and mapping services positioned across regions, sales growth, and product offering expansion, in the recently published report.
Segmentation of Surveying and Mapping Services Market
By Service :
- Topographic Surveys
- Hydrographic Surveys
- Cadastral Surveys
By End-use industry :
- Environment Monitoring and Control
- Defense and Aerospace
- Utility and Energy
- Oil & Gas Exploration
- Infrastructure and Urban Planning
- Forestry and Agriculture
- Mining and Mineral Exploration
- Other Key Application Areas
By Region :
- North America
- Latin America
- East Asia
- South Asia & Oceania
- FAQs -
The global surveying and mapping services market is valued at US$ 9.3 billion in 2022.
Revenue from surveying and mapping services is anticipated to reach US$ 13 billion by the end of 2032.
During 2017-2021, demand for surveying and mapping services increased at 3.2% CAGR.
East Asia leads the global market for surveying and mapping services accounting for 32% share.
Topographic surveys account for a high market share of 46%.