Emergence of COVID-19 Mutant Variants Driving Demand for COVID-19 Saliva-based Detection Kits: Fact.MR Study
Published : 09 Sep 2021 Industry: Healthcare
As per Fact.MR - market research and competitive intelligence provider, the global COVID-19 saliva-based detection kits market was valued at US$ 1.4 Bn in 2020, with demand expected to decline at a CAGR of -2.8% over the forecast period (2021-2031).
COVID-19 is a severe and infectious disease, with diagnosis at the initial stage playing a significant role in stopping the further increase of cases. At present, the old method of sampling, i.e., nasopharyngeal swab is majorly used for testing. However, the emerging technique of saliva-based testing is a promising alternative for COVID-19 diagnosis.
When patients need to get urgent care for more critical flu-like symptoms, physicians need to perform diagnostic tests as soon as possible. To meet this requirement, test kits should be available at cheaper costs, easy to handle, rapid, and equipment-free. This creates an opportunity for market players to come up with innovative devices to fulfil the requirements of patients and physicians in the future.
Due to rising approvals of COVID-19 test kits that are convenient and simple to use, manufacturers are aiming to introduce new products in the market and get them approved.
- For Instance, in July 2021, Nalagenetics and Nusantics obtained regulatory approval to launch PCR test kits to detect COVID-19 from saliva samples. These kits will function as alternatives to nasal and throat swab tests.
Leading players are focusing on advancements in in-vitro diagnostic procedures with rapid testing. These advancements are expected to gain popularity and generate high revenue in the market.
- For instance, in April 2021, Therma Bright Inc. announced that it had received CE approval from an EU-competent authority of Belgium for its AcuVid™ COVID-19 rapid antigen saliva test.
Key Takeaways from Market Study
- By product, PCR-based kits hold around 73.5% value share of the global market in 2021.
- Based on technology, RT-qPCR is leading with 49.2% market share in 2021.
- Based on application, COVID-19 diagnosis is leading with 63.1% market share in 2021.
- By end user, diagnostic laboratories dominate the market with a value share of 26.8% in 2021, while on the other hand, academic and research institutes are expected to increase at a higher CAGR of 2.5%.
- By country, the U.S. dominates the North America market with a value share of 91% in 2021.
“Rising awareness of home-based testing of SARS COV-2 infection and adoption of saliva-based detection as a feasible specimen are expected to drive market growth over the decade,” says a Fact.MR analyst.
Who is Winning?
The global market is set to expand due to rise in awareness of early detection of COVID-19 infection. Leading industry players are set to focus on research & development so that they can come up with unique products to strengthen their product portfolios.
- In Aug 2020, Lenexa received FDA approval for a saliva-based COVID-19 test.
- In April 2021, Qiagen launched artus Prep&Amp as a CE-Marked SARS-CoV-2 test.
Some of the leading players in the market include Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc, Qiagen NV, ACON Laboratories Inc., Assure Tech (Hangzhou) Co. Ltd., Takara Bio Inc., Nantong Diagnose Biotechnology Co., Ltd, KYODO INTERNATIONAL INC., Arcis Biotechnology Limited, GeneProof, Abacus ALS, Hologic Inc, Vitagene, Therma Bright Inc, Zymo Research Corporation, and Salimetrics.
Want More Insights?
Fact.MR brings a comprehensive research report on forecasted revenue growth at global, regional, and country levels that provides an analysis of the latest industry trends in each of the sub-segments from 2020 to 2031.
The global COVID-19 saliva-based detection kits market is segmented in detail to cover every aspect of the market and present a complete market intelligence approach to the reader. The study provides compelling insights based on product, technology, application, and end user, across seven main regions of the world.
Fact.MR’s Domain Knowledge in Healthcare
Our healthcare consulting team guides organizations at each step of their business strategy by helping you understand how the latest influencers account for operational and strategic transformation in the healthcare sector. Our expertise in recognizing the challenges and trends impacting the global healthcare industry provides indispensable insights and support - encasing a strategic perspective that helps you identify critical issues and devise appropriate solutions.
For more information, refer to our market research report or contact the PR author.
Shambhu Nath Jha
Sr. Consultant - Healthcare