Polycystic kidney disease (PKD) is an inherited kidney disorder in which fluid-filled cysts (noncancerous round sacs containing fluid) are developed within the kidneys. PKD may impair kidney function and eventually cause kidney failure. This disease can cause serious complications, including high blood pressure and kidney failure, and sometimes may lead to liver and other complications. PKD is said to be the fourth leading cause of kidney failure.
There are three types of PKD, namely autosomal dominant (ADPKD) (also known as adult PKD), autosomal recessive PKD (ARPKD), and acquired cystic kidney disease (ACKD). The treatment of polycystic kidney disease includes medication to control the blood pressure, pain relievers and cyst removal.
Polycystic Kidney Disease Treatment Market: Drivers and Restraints
Increasing incidence of ADPKD worldwide, rising prevalence of kidney failure, and favorable reimbursements in developed countries are the major factors expected to drive the growth of the polycystic kidney disease treatment market over the forecast period. Moreover, increasing awareness in developing countries, and rising healthcare expenditure are also expected to boost the growth of the polycystic kidney disease treatment market. The polycystic kidney disease treatment market is also driven by governmental support in developing countries and rise in research and development activities for polycystic kidney disease treatment. For initial funding from the PKD Foundation and National Institutes of Health most of the research has led to a collaboration with a biotech company to investigate a promising treatment for slowing cyst growth in ADPKD patients.
However, stringent drug approval process and unfavorable reimbursement policies in under developed countries are factors expected to restrict the growth of the polycystic kidney disease treatment market over the forecast period.
Polycystic Kidney Disease Treatment Market: Segmentation
The global polycystic kidney disease treatment market can be segmented on the basis of drug class and distribution channel.
Based on the drug class, the global polycystic kidney disease treatment market is segmented as:
- Vasopressin Receptor Antagonists (Vaptans)
- Angiotensin-Converting Enzyme (ACE) Inhibitors
- Angiotensin Ii Receptor Antagonists
- Calcium Channel Blockers (CCB)
- Antibiotics Phosphate Binders
Based on distribution channel, the global polycystic kidney disease treatment market is segmented as:
- Hospital Pharmacies
- Retail Pharmacies
- Online Pharmacies
Polycystic Kidney Disease Treatment Market: Overview
Angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors among the other drug classes is the most widely adopted drug for polycystic kidney disease treatment. Increasing number of patients suffering from autosomal dominant polycystic kidney disease between age group of 30 to 40 is the major factor driving the demand for polycystic kidney disease treatment options. Hospital pharmacies is the expected to be the major end-use segment in the polycystic kidney disease treatment market.
Polycystic Kidney Disease Treatment Market: Regional Outlook
Geographically, the global polycystic kidney disease treatment market is segmented into regions, namely North America, Latin America, Europe, Asia-Pacific excluding Japan (APEJ), Japan, and the Middle East and Africa (MEA). North America is expected to be a leading regional market for polycystic kidney disease treatment owing to increasing inclination of patients towards early diagnosis and treatment, and favorable reimbursement policies. Strong geographical presence of the leading players in the region is also expected to drive the growth of the polycystic kidney disease treatment market in North America. Additionally, Europe is expected to account second large share in the global polycystic kidney disease treatment market. However, APEJ polycystic kidney disease treatment market is expected to record a robust CAGR growth attributed to increasing awareness and rising number of patient suffering from kidney disease. Furthermore, geographical expansion of major players is also a significant factor propelling the polycystic kidney disease treatment market.
Polycystic Kidney Disease Treatment Market: Key Participants
Examples of some of the key participants operating in the global polycystic kidney disease treatment market are Merck & Co., Inc., Par Pharmaceutical Companies, Inc., Silvergate Pharmaceuticals Inc., Valeant Pharmaceuticals, Inc., Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd, Mylan Pharmaceuticals Inc., AstraZeneca, etc. To remain in the forefront of the competitive market, the leading market players are focusing on expanding their geographical presence and investing in product development The adoption of organic as well as inorganic strategies by the players help the polycystic kidney disease treatment market to grow at a significant growth rate.
The report is a compilation of first-hand information, qualitative and quantitative assessment by industry analysts, inputs from industry experts and industry participants across the value chain. The report provides in-depth analysis of parent market trends, macro-economic indicators and governing factors along with market attractiveness as per segments. The report also maps the qualitative impact of various market factors on market segments and geographies.
The report covers exhaustive analysis on:
- Market Segments
- Market Dynamics
- Market Size
- Supply & Demand
- Current Trends/Issues/Challenges
- Competition & Companies involved
- Value Chain
Regional analysis includes
- North America (U.S., Canada)
- Latin America (Mexico, Brazil)
- Western Europe (Germany, Italy, U.K, Spain, France, Nordic countries, BENELUX)
- Eastern Europe (Russia, Poland, Rest Of Eastern Europe)
- Asia Pacific Excluding Japan (China, India, Australia & New Zealand)
- Middle East and Africa (GCC, S. Africa, Rest Of MEA)
- Detailed overview of parent market
- Changing market dynamics in the industry
- In-depth market segmentation
- Historical, current and projected market size in terms of volume and value
- Recent industry trends and developments
- Competitive landscape
- Strategies of key players and products offered
- Potential and niche segments, geographical regions exhibiting promising growth
- A neutral perspective on market performance
- Must-have information for market players to sustain and enhance their market footprint.
Benefits of Becoming a Fact.MR Client
- Access to our global market coverage
- Periodic updates on your sector
- Exclusive discounts and offers
- Greater flexibility for customization
- Quick-research assistance for ad-hoc needs
- Access to credible insights Fact.MR analyst interactions
- Access to Fact.MR tools and research to fuel strategy development