Artificial Kidney Market
Artificial Kidney Market Analysis By Type (Wearable Artificial Kidneys, Implantable Artificial Kidneys), By Dialysis (Hemodialysis, Peritoneal Dialysis, Combination), By Application (Adults, Pediatrics), By End User (Hospitals, Specialty Clinics, Ambulatory Surgical Centers), & By Region - Global Market Insights 2023 to 2033
Analysis of Artificial Kidney Market Covering 30+ Countries Including Analysis of US, Canada, UK, Germany, France, Nordics, GCC countries, Japan, Korea and many more
Artificial Kidney Market Growth Outlook for 2023-2033
The global artificial kidney market is valued at US$ 1.5 billion in 2023 and is predicted to surge ahead at a CAGR of 13% to reach a market size of US$ 5.3 billion by the end of 2033.
A hemodialyzer, also referred to as an artificial kidney, is a machine used to filter a patient's blood with kidney impairment. This is a technology that can mimic the function of an actual kidney and possibly do away with the need for dialysis. For patients whose kidneys have been severely damaged and are unable of performing their normal functions, this artificial dialysis can offer continuous blood filtration. It improves patient quality of life and helps to minimize chronic renal disease.
Silicon nano filters are used in artificial kidney implants to filter out water, salts, poisons, and other tiny compounds. The two primary factors projected to drive the growth of the global artificial kidney market are the rising number of patients with kidney-related disorders around the world and the limited supply of kidney donors.
- According to the National Center of Biotechnology Information, 10% of the world's population is living with chronic kidney disease (CKD), which affects 1 in 4 men and 1 in 5 women between the ages of 65 and 74.
The two types of artificial kidneys are wearable artificial kidneys and implantable artificial kidneys. A portable medical gadget known as a wearable artificial kidney enables patients to benefit from home dialysis to do their daily tasks.
This gadget helps to enhance the quality of life of individuals with end-stage renal disease by minimizing their hospital stays and improving physiological aspects by lowering blood pressure. Furthermore, it reduces salt retention as well as the risk of vascular disease and stroke. Also, it is less expensive than other medicines offered to patients with renal failure.
Peritoneal dialysis is a method of treatment that may be performed at home and requires the least amount of technical support. By administering tiny tidal infusions of dialysate, a modified autonomous wearable artificial kidney (AWAK) automates peritoneal dialysis.
Development of an implantable artificial kidney (IAK) is still in progress. In this method, the patient would undergo surgery to get a tiny artificial kidney. The cardiovascular system perfuses the kidney, much like naturally occurring kidneys, without the usage of pumps or batteries.
The silicon implantable kidney cartridge has extremely pore-filled microslits, which produce ultrafiltrate that drains into the patient's bladder. Thus, the introduction of advanced implantable artificial kidneys is expected to open up several opportunities for market players.
Artificial Kidney Market Size (2023E)
US$ 1.5 Billion
Forecasted Market Value (2033F)
US$ 5.3 Billion
Global Market Growth Rate (2023 to 2033)
Leading Regional Market
Key Companies Profiled
Don't Need a Global Report?
save 40%! on Country & Region specific reports
Which Dynamics are Expected to Generate Lucrative Opportunities in the Artificial Kidney Market?
“Developments in Production of Advanced Portable Bio-artificial Kidneys”
Exciting new advances are occurring in the field of artificial kidneys, often in parallel and concerning one another. Most of these are still in the testing stages and are not yet available for clinical usage, except for some of the advanced dialysis applications.
End-stage renal disease (ESRD) management has undergone a paradigm shift from ‘disease-centered’ to ‘patient-centered’, with patient preferences and quality of life playing a crucial part in decision-making. A device that can be installed inside the body and performs normal renal function indefinitely would be the pinnacle of artificial kidney technology.
- According to PubMed, The Kidney Project, a partnership between Dr Shuvo Roy's team at the University of California, San Francisco, and Dr William Fissell's team at Vanderbilt University, intends to accomplish the same. Their implantable bio-artificial kidney (iBAK) uses a micro-electromechanical system to reduce the size of the renal assist device (RAD) and combines silicon nanotechnology and tissue engineering.
“Rising Prevalence of Kidney-related Diseases Worldwide”
Increasing cases of kidney disorders are expected to boost demand for artificial kidneys in the coming 10 years.
- The National Kidney Foundation (NKD) estimates that 10% of the world's population is living with CKD and that millions of people die from this ailment each year as they cannot afford treatment costs.
- According to NKD projections, the elderly population is more likely to experience renal issues, particularly in developing countries such as China and India.
- According to the same source, patients who require dialysis or a kidney transplant to survive are expected to rise at a pace of 5% to 7% annually.
Diabetes is the most prevalent cause of end-stage kidney disease (ESRD), and about one-third of people with diabetes develop chronic kidney disorders. High blood pressure is the main cause of hypertension, and it also considerably raises the risk of ESRD.
- According to World Health Organization (WHO), globally, 1.28 billion individuals between the ages of 30 and 79 are living with hypertension, with a majority (two-thirds) living in middle-income and low-income countries.
- Adults with hypertension in less than half (42%) of cases receive proper treatment.
What Could Hamper the Profitability of Artificial Kidney Manufacturers?
“High Costs of Artificial Kidney Implants”
Several companies in the artificial kidney market are investing heavily in R&D activities to develop advanced artificial kidney machines. Thus, technological advancements call for high investments, which further increases the price of finished products (improved artificial kidney implants).
The target patient population in developing regions cannot afford expensive artificial kidneys due to their lower income capabilities. This further is expected to hamper sales of artificial kidneys to some extent in the coming 10 years.
“Obtaining Regulatory Approval for New Devices Can Be Time-consuming & Costly”
Strict product approval regulations are expected to slower sales of artificial kidneys during the forecast period. This can be due to the longer time required for the approval of finished products as they should meet all requirements prescribed by respective authorities.
More Insights, Lesser Cost (-50% off)
Insights on import/export production,
pricing analysis, and more – Only @ Fact.MR
What is Expected to Help New Entrants Achieve Significant Market Progress?
“Start-ups Can Focus on Introduction of Advanced Technologies in Artificial Kidney Implants”
Growing demand for artificial kidneys presents a significant opportunity for new manufacturers to enter the market. Increasing prevalence of CKD and the growing need for renal replacement therapies show that there is a constant demand for new and innovative devices that can meet the evolving needs of patients.
New manufacturers can be benefitted from technological advancements such as 3D printing, nanotechnology, and artificial intelligence, which may help them to develop more efficient and effective artificial kidneys. These technologies can enable manufacturers to produce devices that are smaller, more portable, and have a longer lifespan, which can improve patient outcomes and reduce the overall cost of care.
Moreover, new manufacturers can focus on developing devices that cater to specific patient populations, such as pediatric or elderly patients, who have unique needs that are not adequately addressed by current devices in the market. By developing specialized devices, new players can differentiate themselves from established players and carve out a niche in the market.
What is Aiding United States’ Manufacturers of Artificial Kidneys in Earning More?
“Rapid Ongoing Advancements in Artificial Kidneys Due to Presence of Key Market Players”
Increasing prevalence of chronic kidney disorders, the presence of well-established healthcare facilities, the existence of major companies of artificial kidneys, the high spending power of the population on healthcare, and technologically enhanced diagnostic tests are the main factors propelling the growth of the United States artificial kidney market.
- According to the American Kidney Fund study released in February 2022, 92,000 Americans were waiting for kidney transplants, while an estimated 37 million Americans were living with renal disease.
- The Kidney Project's bio-artificial implantable kidney, which aims to discharge patients with kidney disease from waiting lists for transplants and dialysis machines, made another significant advancement towards becoming a reality by winning a US$ 650,000 reward from KidneyX in 2021 for its first-ever demonstration of a functional prototype of its artificial implantable kidney.
- Founded to ‘accelerate innovation in the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of kidney illnesses’, KidneyX is a public-private collaboration between the United States Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) and the American Society of Nephrology (ASN).
How is Demand for Artificial Kidneys Expected to Evolve in China?
“Chronic Kidney Disorder - Severe National Health Problem”
One of the key causes driving artificial kidney sales in China is the rising cases of kidney diseases. CKD is a serious health issue in China.
- Chronic kidney disease (CKD) is considered a serious public health issue in China that is characterized by its high incidence, high death rate, and numerous comorbidities, according to a report that was released by NCBI in October 2022.
- The National Institutes of Health (NIH) report from June 2021 found that renal disease treated with dialysis is more common in China than it was in 2000 and is projected to keep on increasing through 2025.
- Several individuals in China are expected to require artificial kidneys due to the rising prevalence of chronic renal disease and end-stage chronic kidney disease, according to the British Medical Journal (BMJ), 2021.
Will Germany Be a Profitable Market for Suppliers of Artificial Kidney Implants?
“Increasing Cases of Kidney Transplants Encouraging Market Players to Introduce Advanced Solutions”
Artificial kidneys, also known as hemodialysis machines, are in high demand in Germany due to the rising cases of kidney-related disorders and rapid technological developments in the field of artificial kidneys.
- According to the German Society of Nephrology, over 80,000 people in Germany are currently undergoing hemodialysis treatment, and this number is expected to continue to rise in the coming years.
Demand for artificial kidneys in Germany is also driven by the country's ageing population. As people get older, they become more susceptible to chronic kidney disease and may require hemodialysis treatment to manage their condition. Additionally, lifestyle factors such as obesity and diabetes can also contribute to the development of chronic kidney disease, which further are expected to fuel sales of artificial kidneys.
To meet the growing demand for hemodialysis machines in Germany, there has been significant investment in research and development to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of these devices. New technologies such as portable hemodialysis machines and wearable devices are being developed by market players to make treatment more accessible and convenient for patients.
- According to the Deutsches Referenzzentrum fur Ethik den Biowissenschaften published in October 2022, the total number of kidney transplants in Germany in 2021 reached 1,994 compared to 1,909 in the previous year. Thus, the growing cases of kidney transplants are expected to boost demand for artificial kidneys during the forecast period.
Know thy Competitors
Competitive landscape highlights only certain players
Complete list available upon request
Why are Surgeries of Artificial Kidney Implants Widely Performed in Hospitals?
“Presence of Advanced Healthcare Technologies & Medical Experts”
Artificial kidneys are highly demanded in hospitals to treat target patients. Individuals with kidney disorders prefer hospitals as the prime choice for treatment procedures due to the presence of skilled doctors and advanced healthcare infrastructure.
Hospitals are the principal facilities for any surgical operations. Thus, sales of artificial kidneys are expected to increase during the forecast period due to the complete care offered in hospital settings.
Key players in the artificial kidney market are focused on advancing artificial kidney implants, and along with that, they are taking initiatives to expand their business by collaborating with local market players. Some of the leading companies are focusing on acquisitions to increase their product folio and boost their market position.
Key Segments of Artificial Kidney Industry Research
By Type :
- Wearable Artificial Kidneys
- Implantable Artificial Kidneys
By Dialysis :
- Peritoneal Dialysis
By Application :
By End User :
- Specialty Clinics
- Ambulatory Surgical Centers
By Region :
- North America
- Latin America
- East Asia
- South Asia & Oceania
- FAQs -
The global artificial kidney market is valued at US$ 1.5 billion in 2023.
Worldwide sales of artificial kidneys are expected to reach US$ 5.3 billion by 2033.
Demand for artificial kidneys is set to increase rapidly at a CAGR of 13% from 2023 to 2033.
Rising prevalence of kidney-related disorders is driving the sales of artificial kidneys.
North America holds a leading position in the global market due to the presence of key companies manufacturing artificial kidneys.