Coffee Market By Grade (Arabica, Robusta, Specialty), By Application (Hot Drinks, Ready-to-Drink Coffee, Flavored Beverages), By Sales Channel (Supermarkets/Hypermarkets, e-Commerce, e-Commerce) & By Region - Global Market Insights (2023-2033)
Analysis of Coffee market covering 30+ Countries Including Analysis of US, Canada, UK, Germany, France, Nordics, GCC countries, Japan, Korea and many more
Coffee Market Outlook (2023-2033)
The global coffee market accounts for a valuation of US$ 34.1 billion in 2023 and is forecasted to increase at 4.6% CAGR over the next ten years to reach a value of US$ 53.5 billion by the end of 2033.
Coffee has been a popular beverage across the world for decades and its popularity is expected to increase further over the coming years owing to the increasing use of coffee in several industry verticals and rising consumption in developing economies. Supportive government and organizational initiatives to promote coffee farming are also expected to provide impetus to coffee consumption on a global level in the future.
- In December 2022, the Indonesia Coffee Enterprise Resilience Initiative (Resilient Coffee) initiative was launched by Keurig Dr Pepper and Root Capital in collaboration with USAID (U.S. Agency for International Development). The initiative was expected to support coffee farmers in Indonesia to adopt economically sustainable practices and solve their issues.
The growing availability of different types of caffeinated beverages, increasing awareness about the benefits of caffeine consumption, changing consumer preferences, growing use of coffee in nutraceuticals, rising per capita disposable income, and increasing number of launches of new coffee products are other prospects that could potentially boost coffee demand throughout the forecast period.
Coffee has proven its efficacy in reducing the risk of heart diseases and consumption of coffee has often been associated with increased concentration, alertness, and energy levels. The aforementioned benefits of coffee are driving its popularity in the preparation of nutraceuticals, pharmaceuticals, and energy drinks and subsequently propelling coffee market development.
Coffee Market Size (2023)
US$ 34.1 Billion
Projected Market Value (2033F)
US$ 53.5 Billion
Global Market Growth Rate (2023-2033)
Key Companies Profiled
Don't Need a Global Report?
save 40%! on Country & Region specific reports
Which Influential Trend Could Transform the Future of Coffee Consumption?
“Growing Demand for Ready-to-drink Beverages”
Coffee conventionally was consumed as a hot drink but there have been innovative advancements and now the beverage is consumed in many ways such as cold coffee, instant coffee, etc. The increasing popularity of ready-to-drink beverages across the world is also projected to augment the way coffee is consumed on a global scale, which is expected to open up new avenues of opportunity for upcoming as well as established coffee manufacturers.
- In April 2022, Lavazza, an Italian coffee manufacturer debuted its ready-to-drink coffee products in the U.S. marketplace. The products are made from U.S. Department of Agriculture-certified organic Arabica coffee and are available in four different styles.
- In November 2022, Starbucks, an American coffeehouse chain operating internationally announced the launch of its new ready-to-drink iced coffee beverages. The beverages are produced through a collaboration between Starbucks and Nestlé.
Growing number of ready-to-drink coffee product launches and increasing consumer inclination toward these types of beverages are expected to augment shipments of coffee beans across the world.
Why is the United States an Opportune Market for Coffee Vendors?
“Increasing Use of Nutraceuticals & Dietary Supplements to Provide Remunerative Business Scope”
People in the United States have become more aware of their health and fitness in recent years owing to the high incidence of chronic diseases such as cardiovascular disorders, diabetes, and obesity, which has led to increased demand for nutraceuticals and dietary supplements.
Growing demand for functional food and beverages, high spending potential, growing awareness regarding the benefits of caffeine consumption, and an increasingly aging population are other factors that are anticipated to shape coffee shipments in the U.S. across the forecast period.
Moreover, the increasing establishment of new coffee houses and the growing popularity of ready-to-drink caffeinated beverages among the younger population are also expected to bolster the coffee market evolution in the United States through 2033.
Which Countries in Asia Pacific are Lucrative Markets for Coffee?
“Japan, India, and China to be Prime Markets in APAC”
Increasing disposable income and changing consumer preferences of people in Asian countries such as Japan, China, India, and Korea are prime factors driving demand for coffee in the APAC region over the coming years. Japan is known as the third largest importer of coffee in the world and is among the top 7 retail markets in the world. The aforementioned factors are anticipated to create highly attractive business growth opportunities in Japan for coffee suppliers.
Instant coffee, iced lattes, cold coffee, French press coffee, and cold brew coffee are expected to be popular products in almost all Asian countries. Increasing westernization of Asian cultures and a growing number of coffee houses are other aspects that could boost sales of coffee and caffeinated beverages over the next ten years.
What is the Demand Outlook for Coffee in Europe?
“High Demand for Raw & Roasted Coffee Beans to Offer Attractive Growth Scope”
Demand for coffee in Europe is expected to be high and the regional market is projected to account for a significant market share across the forecast period. Increasing awareness about the benefits of coffee, growing use of coffee in the manufacturing of functional food and beverages, and rising demand for dietary supplements and nutraceuticals are prime prospects that are projected to bolster sales of coffee beans and coffee products in European countries such as Germany, France, Italy, and the United Kingdom.
Manufacturers in Europe are focusing on expanding their business scope through new product launches and are expected to opt for other business expansion efforts as well.
- In October 2022, 60beans, a German specialty coffee start-up company announced the launch of around 300 bagged coffees from more than 25 coffee roasters across Europe. The company had plans to stretch its business all around Europe and farther.
- In November 2021, Finlays Europe, a leading supplier of coffee, tea, and botanicals for businesses revealed its plans to expand its cold brew markets through its new coffee extraction plant situated in the north of England to produce quality cold brew coffee.
More Insights, Lesser Cost (-50% off)
Insights on import/export production,
pricing analysis, and more – Only @ Fact.MR
Which Type of Coffee is Witnessing a Hike in Consumption?
“Arabica Coffee to Remain Popular Over Coming Years”
Based on grade, the market for coffee is segmented into Arabica, Robusta, specialty, and others.
Arabica coffee is a type of coffee that is made from the Coffea Arabica plant that is largely found in the mountain regions of countries such as Yemen, Kenya, and Ethiopia. Around 60% to 70% of all coffee beans produced in the world are Arabica and is the most common coffee found in most parts of the world. Arabica coffee accounts for a dominant market share at present and held a market value of nearly US$ 14 billion in 2022.
How Can New Coffee Providers Penetrate This Competitive Market?
“Focus on Development of Innovative Coffee Products”
Aspiring coffee manufacturers are focusing on creating unique and innovative products and techniques that set them apart from the crowd of coffee suppliers in the global landscape.
Some start-ups that could change the way coffee is consumed have been mentioned below and more insights regarding the start-up landscape have been discussed in detail in this revised coffee market research analysis by skilled analysts at Fact.MR, a market research and competitive intelligence provider.
- Bizzy Coffee, founded in 2015 by Alec French and Andrew Healy is focusing on providing cold brew coffee that is made from organic coffee beans that are sourced from growers practicing sustainable farming.
- Bottomless, a Washington-based start-up founded in 2019 is offering premium coffee delivered to your doorstep through a subscription service. The customers use a Wi-Fi scale to track their coffee consumption and when the beans get low, Bottomless automatically sends out a new bag for their customers.
- A start-up called Compound Foods founded in 2020 by Maricel Saenz is making coffee by using synthetic biology to reduce the effect of global warming on coffee harvest which is expected to decrease drastically by 2050, according to some experts. The company aims to solve the issues faced by coffee industries and still offer an authentic coffee taste.
Leading coffee providers are focusing on launching new products that help them advance their business potential and boost revenue generation potential.
- In December 2022, Chamberlain Coffee, a renowned coffee lifestyle brand founded by Emma Chamberlain announced the launch of new Coffee Pods. The new pods have a casing that is commercially compostable and is made from Chamberlain Coffee's Original Family Blend.
The expansion of several coffee chains across the world owing to the rising popularity of products such as iced lattes, cold coffee, French press coffee, etc. is also projected to create new developments in the global coffee marketplace.
- In December 2022, Luckin Coffee, a Chinese beverage chain announced the launch of its new round of partner recruitment to expand its network of franchised stores in China. The initiative covers 41 urban areas and 9 provinces that are mainly situated in third and fourth-tier cities.
- In December 2022, UK-based coffee chain, Costa Coffee announced that it would be opening its first store in Pakistan by partnering with its current franchisee Gerry’s Group. The store was planned to open in Lahore before the end of 2022 and another one is expected to be opened in Karachi in 2023.
Know thy Competitors
Competitive landscape highlights only certain players
Complete list available upon request
Key Segments Covered in Coffee Industry Research
By Grade :
By Application :
- Hot Drinks
- Ready-to-Drink Coffee
- Flavored Beverages
- Food & Beverage Flavors
- Other Applications
By Sales Channel :
- Coffee Houses
- Traditional Grocery Stores
- Other Retail Formats
By Region :
- North America
- Latin America
- FAQs -
The global coffee market accounts for a valuation of US$ 34.1 billion.
Worldwide sales of coffee are predicted to reach a value of US$ 53.5 billion by 2033-end.
From 2023 to 2033, global consumption of coffee is anticipated to increase at 4.6% CAGR.
Demand for Arabica coffee accounted for a value of US$ 14 billion in 2022.
Nestlé S.A., Strauss Group Ltd., Keurig Green Mountain, and Unilever Plc are key manufacturers of coffee.