Pickled Herring Market
Pickled Herring Market Analysis By Sauce Type (Wine Sauce, Cream Sauce, Home Style Swedish Style, Mustard Dill Sauce, Cajun Sauce & Others) By Cut Type (Bites, Roll Mops & Fillets) By Buyer Type (Individuals & Commercial/HoReCa) By Sales Channel & Region – Insights 2022 to 2032
Pickled Herring Market Outlook (2022-2032)
The global pickled herring market has reached US$ 3.5 billion in 2022, registering Y-o-Y growth of 3.5%. Worldwide sales of pickled herrings are projected to increase at a steady CAGR of 3.6% to reach a market valuation of US$ 5 billion by 2032, with Europe accounting for more than three-fourths of the global market share.
Pickled Herring Size (2021A)
US$ 3.4 Billion
Estimated Market Value (2022E)
US$ 3.5 Billion
Forecasted Market Value (2032F)
US$ 5 Billion
Global Market Growth Rate (2022-2032)
North America Market Share (2021)
North America Growth Rate (2022-2032)
U.S. Market Growth Rate (2022-2032)
Market Share of Top 5 Companies
Key Companies Profiled
Interested to Procure The Data
Pickled Herring Sales Analysis (2017-2021) Vs. Market Forecasts (2022-2032)
Pickled herring has been a staple food across many regions in the world. It also contains many nutrient values that support heart and mental health, along with anti-inflammatory characteristics. Pickled herring is consumed as a traditional custom in several regions of the world.
Additionally, rising health consciousness among consumers along with taste preferences has increased the market for pickled herrings, which has guided a compound annual growth of 1.8% over 2017-2021.
Herring is the best choice for people who are suffering from a deficiency of vitamin D, owing to its high vitamin content. Pickled herring is a great option with any meal. Not only vitamin D, but pickled herring is also a good source of omega-3 fatty acids that help lower high triglycerides levels, which is a type of blood fat that must stay at specific levels to protect the health of the heart.
Overall, pickled herring is a filling staple dish that improves heart health, cognitive health, and metabolism in general, thanks to its vitamin profile.
Growth of the pickled herring market is anticipated to be driven by the advantages of taste and it being a traditional food option with positive health effects. Fact.MR reveals that the global pickled herring market will be valued at US$ 5 billion by 2032-end, expanding at a CAGR of 3.6% between 2022 and 2032.
- Short Term (2022 Q2 to 2025): Pickled herring is an immensely popular side seafood item in European countries, followed by Asia; the market is yet to grow in other regions. This will determine a slow growth in global demand for pickled herrings in the initial forecast years, generating an absolute $ opportunity of US$ 535 million from 2022 to 2025.
- Medium Term (2025-2028): Over the medium term, pickled herring consumption is expected to gain traction in East Asia and South Asia because of escalating awareness regarding its health benefits, which will lead to an incremental opportunity of US$ 614.2 million over 2025 to 2028.
- Long Term (2028-2032): Increasing awareness about the health and preserving capabilities of conventional food items such as pickled herrings will pace up global consumption in the long term. Fact.MR projects an incremental opportunity of US$ 771.8 million over 2028-2032.
During the 2017-2021 historical years, the global market for pickled herrings registered a CAGR of 1.8%.
Market share analysis of sauce type and regions is provided in a nutshell in the above image. Under the sauce type segment, wine sauce dominated with 23.4% market share in 2021.
What’s Driving Consumption of Pickled Herring across the World?
“High Omega-3 & Low Mercury Content in Herrings”
Herring consumption is increasing with growing health consciousness among the population due to its high omega-3 content and low mercury content. Pickled herrings observed significant growth in Europe as they are recognized as a core ingredient in more than 10 traditional dishes.
- According to EUMOFA, the rate of growth in household expenditure on fishery and aquaculture products was 17% from 2019 to 2020, which is significantly higher than the inflation rate of 2.1% in the prices for the products. A 7% increase in value and a 4% increase in volume have been seen from 2019 to 2020 in Europe’s top fish-consuming countries.
Furthermore, pickled herring manufacturers are focusing on the introduction of different sauces to increase their sales, awareness, and popularity around the world.
An Adaptive Approach to Modern-day Research Needs
What are the Challenges Hampering Pickled Herring Market Growth?
“High Sodium Content an Issue”
High sodium content in pickled herrings is restricting their consumption to some extent.
- According to USDA, pickled Atlantic herrings contain around 73 calories, 2.7 grams of carbohydrates, and 5 grams of fat.
The sodium content in pickled herrings can lead to high blood pressure, which increases the risk of heart attacks in the herring-consuming population. Apart from this, more people are getting attracted to veganism or a vegan lifestyle. These factors can hamper the overall growth of the pickled herring business.
Which Country Leads the European Market for Pickled Herrings?
The Europe pickled herring market is estimated to surpass US$ 3.7 billion by 2032.
Germany, France, and the U.K. are expected to be key contributors to market growth in Europe. Germany is estimated to account for 19.5% of the regional market share in 2022, whereas Poland and the U.K. will enjoy 19.2% and 16.3% market share, respectively.
Diverse flavors of pickled herrings are gaining popularity among the European population, with alternatives such as smoked herrings catalyzing market growth in other European countries as well. Also, pickled herrings such as Kryddersild-spiced pickled herrings are driving overall demand in European countries.
How is the U.S. Pickled Herring Market Evolving?
The United States is also a prominent consumer of pickled herrings. In 2022, it is anticipated to account for 84.2% of pickled herring consumption in North America.
Major factor supporting the growth of the pickled herring market in North America is rising government initiatives to generate awareness among the U.S. population about the benefits of pickled hearing products. Additionally, strong local manufacturers in the U.S. support the growth of the market, which is predicted to expand at a CAGR of 4.6% during the forecast period (2022-2032).
Which Sauce Type is Mostly Preferred in Pickled Herrings?
Wine sauce dominates with more than 23.5% of the global pickled herring market share. Cream sauce, on the other hand, is projected to hold 20.4% of the market share by 2032.
Increase in the number of other sauce types is significantly attracting more consumers across the world. Overall, wine sauce and cream sauce pickled herrings will be the most opportunistic segments for market players over the coming years.
Will Retail Consumption of Pickled Herrings Continue Driving Market Expansion?
Increasing retail consumption by individuals has driven the sales of pickled herrings over the historical period and this trend is expected to continue over the forecast period as well.
Easy preservation of pickled herrings and new sauce flavors are majorly driving retail sales. This will increase the intake of pickled herrings among individuals, directing the growth of the commercial buyers segment at a CAGR of 3.9% during the assessment period.
Avail customized purchase options for your needs
The pickling herring market is fairly fragmented with numerous food processing industries competing for dominance. Market participants have embraced both organic and inorganic development strategies for expansion.
Frontrunners with well-researched products and a customer base have benefited from acquisitions. Another attempted strategy of major manufacturers is increasing their production by enlarging their facilities. Pushing sales under the influence of various labels such as tasteful, preserve able, low fat, etc., is the way ahead.
For instance :
- In March 2022, Ocean Beauty Sea-foods announced plans for the Seafood Expo North America (SENA) in Boston. These plans included introducing five new on-trend products for the company’s Echo Falls line, which is the nation’s leading premium smoked salmon brand.
- Santa Bremor has invested in modern Dutch and Icelandic equipment in its new production line, which allows the company to process ready-made herring fillets delicately and carefully with superior quality.
Segmentation of Pickled Herring Industry Research
By Sauce Type :
- Wine Sauce
- Cream Sauce
- Home Style
- Swedish Style
- Mustard Dill Sauce
- Cajun Sauce
By Cut Type :
- Cut Type
- Roll Mops
By Buyer Type :
By Sales Channel :
- Offline Sales of Pickled Herrings
- Modern Trade
- Convenience Stores
- Specialty Stores
- Online Sales of Pickled Herrings
- Company Websites
- e-commerce Platforms
- Offline Sales of Pickled Herrings
By Region :
- North America
- Latin America
- East Asia
- South Asia & Oceania
- FAQs -
Need an Exclusive Report for your Unique Requirement?
- Related Reports -
Herring Market is expected to witness impressive growth by 2028. The rising health consciousness amo...
Liquid Jaggery Market is poised to expand at a CAGR of 8.3% to reach US$ 1.2 billion by 2032. Sugarc...
Cascara Products Market is expected to register a CAGR of 10.4% & reach US$ 1.23 billion by 2032. Ca...