Security Detectors and Scanners Market
Security Detectors and Scanners Market Analysis by Type (X-ray Security Scanner Systems, Metal Detectors, Explosive Detectors), Technology (Metal Detection Technology, Millimeter Wave Technology, Spectroscopy, Others), End-use Industry (Airports, Defense, Freight & Shipping, Malls & Theaters) & By Region - Global Industry Report 2023 to 2033
Analysis of Security Detectors and Scanners Market Covering 30+ Countries Including Analysis of US, Canada, UK, Germany, France, Nordics, GCC countries, Japan, Korea and many more
Security Detectors and Scanners Market Outlook (2023 to 2033)
The global security detectors and scanners market stands at US$ 14.6 billion in 2023, as per this new study by Fact.MR. Worldwide sales of security detectors and scanners are projected to reach US$ 35.7 billion by the end of 2033, advancing at 9.4% CAGR between 2023 and 2033.
- Explosive detectors are expected to hold a leading share of the market, registering a CAGR of 8.7% from 2023 to 2033.
- Utilization of security detectors and scanners in the defense industry is forecasted to rise at a CAGR of 9.7% from 2023 to 2033.
- North America is the leading regional market for security detectors and scanners and will continue to hold its pole position through 2033.
|Security Detectors and Scanners Market Size (2022A)||US$ 13.5 Billion|
|Estimated Market Value (2023E)||US$ 14.6 Billion|
|Forecasted Market Value (2033F)||US$ 35.7 Billion|
|Global Market Growth Rate (2023 to 2033)||9.4% CAGR|
|China Market Growth Rate (2023 to 2033)||10.5% CAGR|
|Explosive Detectors Segment Growth Rate (2023 to 2033)||8.7% CAGR|
|United States Market Growth Rate (2023 to 2033)||6.6% CAGR|
|Defense Industry Segment Growth Rate (2023 to 2033)||9.7% CAGR|
|Leading Regional Market||North America|
|Key Companies Covered||
Don't Need a Global Report?
save 40%! on Country & Region specific reports
Revenue Analysis of Security Detectors and Scanners (2018 to 2022) vs. Market Projections (2023 to 2033)
As per Fact.MR, a market research and competitive intelligence provider, worldwide demand for security detectors and scanners increased at 9.4% CAGR from 2018 to 2022. The market is expected to generate an absolute dollar opportunity of US$ 21.1 billion over the forecast period and reach a valuation of US$ 35.7 billion by 2033-end.
Why is There Rapid Expansion of the Security Detectors and Scanners Market?
“High Focus on Critical Infrastructure Security and Strict Public Space Safety Regulations”
Government regulations and mandates are playing a pivotal role in propelling the widespread adoption of security scanners and detectors across industries, particularly in airports and public spaces. These regulations are aimed at enhancing overall security, minimizing risks, and ensuring the safety of citizens and visitors. Airports, being critical points of entry and transit, are subject to stringent security regulations, including baggage screening, body scanners, and cargo screening.
Airport security regulations have been developed by the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO), which necessitates the deployment of cutting-edge screening tools. For instance, Section 44901 of Title 49 of the United States Code, also referred to as the Aviation and Transportation Security Act, mandates that all travelers and their belongings be screened at airports in the United States where screening is necessary.
Growing emphasis on bolstering critical infrastructure security has emerged as a driving force behind the rapid expansion of the security detectors and scanners industry. In recent years, the world has witnessed a concerning surge in attacks targeting organizations within critical infrastructure sectors.
- According to studies, attacks on critical infrastructure organizations surged from fewer than 10 incidents in 2013 to nearly 400 incidents in 2020, marking an astounding 3900% rise. This exponential growth signifies the evolving sophistication and determination of threat actors to exploit vulnerabilities within critical sectors, including energy, transportation, and defense.
Growing use of cutting-edge technologies, such as neutron-emitting scanning systems, is a prominent trend in the security detectors and scanners industry. These systems, which employ neutron-based radiation to identify a wider range of materials, are enhancing the detection performance of security measures. Neutron-emitting scanning systems offer distinct advantages, particularly in identifying non-metallic substances such as explosives and drugs that might be missed by traditional X-ray scanners.
As the security landscape continues to evolve, adoption of advanced technologies like neutron-emitting scanning systems is poised to play a pivotal role in safeguarding critical infrastructure, transportation, and public spaces.
Which Region is Projected to Generate High Demand for Security Detectors and Scanners?
“Extensive Investments in Advanced Detection Technologies for Military Bases in North America”
The market in North America was valued at US$ 3.8 billion in 2022 and is estimated at US$ 4.1 billion in 2023. Demand for security detectors and scanners in North America is projected to reach US$ 8.1 billion by 2033-end.
North America, led by the United States, holds a leading share of the market for security screening devices. The United State's heavy defense spending is a substantial driver of market growth. The country's extensive investments in defense include the acquisition of advanced detection technologies for military bases and critical assets.
- According to the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI), in 2021, the military spending/defense budget in the United States was US$ 800.67 billion, representing a 2.86% increase from the previous year. Defense spending accounts for 12% of all federal spending and nearly half of discretionary spending in the United States.
These factors are expected to have a significant impact on the North American market for security scanner systems during the forecast period.
More Insights, Lesser Cost (-50% off)
Insights on import/export production,
pricing analysis, and more – Only @ Fact.MR
|Country||CAGR (2023 to 2033)|
Why is the United States an Attractive Market for Manufacturers of Security Detectors?
“Increasing Security Concerns and Regulatory Mandates Governing Use of Firearms”
The market in the United States is expected to expand to be worth US$ 7.1 billion by 2033, with an absolute dollar growth of US$ 3.6 billion over the forecast period. Demand for security detectors and scanners in the United States advanced at a CAGR of 3.8% from 2018 to 2022 and is expected to rise at a 6.6% CAGR from 2023 to 2033.
The United States market has been exhibiting growth, driven by a combination of factors ranging from heightened security concerns to technological advancements and regulatory mandates.
- According to the United States Department of Homeland Security, in 2022 alone, the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) screened over 585 million passengers, which increased by about 81% from 2020, and identified over 6,542 firearms in carry-on bags. This showcases the substantial demand for security screening equipment in aviation in the country.
What Makes Japan a Profitable Market for Suppliers of Security Detectors and Scanners?
“Heavy R&D Investments in Security and Scanning Technologies”
Sales of security detectors and scanners in Japan are expected to be worth US$ 7.1 million by 2033, with an absolute dollar growth of US$ 62.6 million from 2023 to 2033. The market in Japan advanced at a CAGR of 1% from 2018 to 2022 and is expected to expand at a CAGR of 3.2% from 2023 to 2033.
Japan's status as the third-largest investor in research and development (R&D) worldwide, trailing only the United States and China, plays a pivotal role in driving the growth of the industry in the country. Japan's R&D expenditures in 2022 were approximately US$ 194 billion, showcasing the substantial resources dedicated to technological innovation across sectors, including security.
Why are Industry Players Eyeing China?
“Belt and Road Initiative Propelling Security Technology Exports”
The security screening devices market in China is expected to expand to US$ 3.7 billion by 2033, generating an absolute dollar opportunity of US$ 2.5 billion throughout the forecast period. Sales of security detectors and scanners rose at a CAGR of 7% from 2018 to 2022 and are expected to progress at 10.5% from 2023 to 2033.
China's Belt and Road Initiative (BRI) has created opportunities for the country to export its security technologies to partner countries, enhancing infrastructure security along critical trade routes. For instance, Chinese security companies have been involved in supplying security scanners and detectors to BRI-related projects, contributing to the growth of the industry beyond China's borders.
The country's commitment to becoming a global leader in innovation has driven substantial investments in research and development, resulting in the emergence of cutting-edge security solutions that cater to both domestic and international markets.
|Market/Segment||CAGR (2023 to 2033)|
Which End-use Industry is Projected to Exhibit Substantial Growth?
“Focus on Security Enhancement and Adoption of Advanced Technologies in Defense Sector”
Use of detectors and scanners in the defense industry advanced at a CAGR of 5.6% from 2018 to 2022 and is expected to rise at a 9.7% CAGR from 2023 to 2033.
- As per data from the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI), worldwide military spending in 2020 amounted to US$ 1.98 trillion, indicating a growth rate of 2.6% when compared to the figures from 2019. This rise in spending reflects the prioritization of security enhancement and the adoption of cutting-edge detection technologies, including security detectors and scanners, to ensure early threat detection and mitigation.
Which Type of Security Detector and Scanner is Set to Account for High Revenue Generation?
“High Demand for Advanced Explosive Detectors for Passenger, Luggage, and Cargo Screening”
Demand for explosive detectors increased at a CAGR of 4.9% from 2018 to 2022 and is expected to advance at a high CAGR of 8.7% from 2023 to 2033. Airports, government buildings, critical infrastructure, and public spaces are areas where explosive detectors are in high demand. Airports worldwide are investing in advanced explosive detection systems to screen passengers, luggage, and cargo effectively.
Ongoing research aims to improve airport security screening by developing new methods to detect trace amounts of explosives. For instance, researchers at MIT's Lincoln Laboratory are working on a non-contact detection system that uses a mass spectrometer to measure the air around explosive samples concealed in various packaging configurations. These advancements in technology are poised to have a significant impact on the growth of the explosive detectors segment of the market.
Know thy Competitors
Competitive landscape highlights only certain players
Complete list available upon request
Leading manufacturers of security detectors and scanners are Fujitsu, Thales, Teledyne FLIR, Garrett Metal Detectors, Smiths Detection Inc., Bruker, OSI Systems, Analogic Corporation, Nuctech Company Limited, and Astrophysics Inc.
Some of the recent developments in the market are :
- In June 2023, by utilizing Fujitsu's generative artificial intelligence (AI) technology to streamline the system's development and maintenance procedures, Fujitsu and Mizuho Financial Group began collaborative verification testing. The goal of this partnership is to demonstrate how effectively AI can detect flaws and omissions in system design plans and audit procedures.
- In March 2023, in connection with its Ada Initiative, Smiths Detection announced a partnership with GRASP Innovations for technological integration. The Ada Initiative seeks to facilitate the interoperability of hardware, software, and algorithms from various products.
- In July 2023, Garrett Metal Detectors announced a new three-year warranty for its products. This warranty covers ground-search, handheld, and walkthrough metal detectors, pin-pointers, and other products manufactured by Garrett Metal Detectors.
- In April 2023, Kromek and Analogic announced a partnership agreement to develop CT detector technology for the next generation. The partnership's objective is to develop CZT-based detector devices for photon counting computed tomography (PCCT) and other CT applications.
- In October 2020, to enhance airport security and the traveler experience, Smiths Detection introduced the HI-SCAN 6040 CTiX, a revolutionary X-ray inspection system. The development of this innovative system is part of Smiths Detection's commitment to offering cutting-edge threat detection and screening technologies for a range of industries.
Segmentation of Security Detectors and Scanners Industry Research
By Type :
- X-ray Security Scanner Systems
- Body Scanners
- Baggage Scanners
- Metal Detectors
- Handheld Metal Detectors
- Walkthrough Metal Detectors
- Explosive Detectors
- X-ray Security Scanner Systems
By Technology :
- Metal Detection Technology
- Millimeter Wave Technology
By End-use Industry :
- Freight & Shipping
- Malls & Theaters
By Region :
- North America
- Latin America
- East Asia
- South Asia & ASEAN
- Middle East & Africa
- FAQs -
The global security detectors and scanners market was valued at US$ 13.5 billion in 2022.
Sales of security detectors and scanners increased at a CAGR of 5.5% from 2018 to 2022.
The market for security detectors and scanners is estimated to reach US$ 14.6 billion in 2023.
The global market is projected to reach a valuation of US$ 35.7 billion by 2033.
Sales of security detectors and scanners are forecasted to rise at a CAGR of 9.4% from 2023 to 2033.
Sales of explosive detectors are expected to rise at a noteworthy CAGR of 8.7% by 2033.
Utilization of security detectors and scanners in the defense industry is projected to rise at a CAGR of 9.7% through 2033.
Sales of detectors using millimeter wave technology are projected to reach US$ 9.1 billion in 2023.
The market in the United States is projected to reach US$ 7.1 billion by 2033-end, advancing at 6.6% CAGR.
Leading companies in the market include Fujitsu, Thales, Teledyne FLIR, Garrett Metal Detectors, Smiths Detection Inc., and Bruker.
The North American market is projected to exhibit substantial growth, with a projected valuation of US$ 8.1 billion for 2033.