Canes and Crutches Market
Canes and Crutches Market By Product (Canes, Crutches, Accessories), By Distribution Channel (Online Stores, Hospital Pharmacies, Medical Retail Stores) & Region - Global Market Insights 2023 to 2033
Analysis of Canes and Crutches Market Covering 30+ Countries Including Analysis of US, Canada, UK, Germany, France, Nordics, GCC countries, Japan, Korea and many more
Canes and Crutches Market Outlook (2023 to 2033)
Worldwide demand for canes and crutches is projected to increase at 3.8% CAGR from 2023 to 2033 with the market currently valued at US$ 975.9 million. As such, the global canes and crutches market is forecasted to reach a valuation of US$ 1.42 billion by 2033.
Canes and crutches are the most commonly used mobility equipment by elder people and those with walking disabilities. Plummeting birth rates across the world have resulted in a rapidly increasing senescent population, which is expected to primarily drive the shipments of canes and crutches over the coming years.
Growing incidence of road accidents, increasing number of people with disabilities, rising admissions of individuals in rehabilitation centers, high geriatric population, and increasing investments in healthcare infrastructure development are other prominent factors that could potentially uplift cane and crutch sales going forward.
Rising demand for advanced walking assistance devices is projected to open up new roads of opportunities for established as well as upcoming cane and crutch companies across the forecast period. Arm canes, rubber crutches, walking canes with forearm support, walkers, and power wheelchairs are some popular mobility equipment products that are estimated to witness a hike in popularity through 2033.
On the contrary, the social stigma associated with the use of mobility equipment and the growing preference for advanced walking aids are projected to hurt market growth in the future. Supply chain management issues and favourable reimbursement for advanced mobility equipment are also expected to be major challenges for suppliers of canes and crutches over the next ten years.
Canes and Crutches Market Size (2023)
US$ 975.9 Million
Projected Market Value (2033F)
US$ 1.42 Billion
Global Market Growth Rate (2023 to 2033)
Fastest Growing Regional Market
Key Companies Profiled
Don't Need a Global Report?
save 40%! on Country & Region specific reports
Which Key Determinants are Expected to Shape Future Sales of Canes and Crutches?
“Increasing Focus on Healthcare Infrastructure Development”
Focus on healthcare infrastructure development has bolstered in recent years owing to the high prevalence of chronic diseases and increasing rate of hospitalization on a global level. Governments and non-profit organizations are launching new initiatives to make medical services and healthcare equipment accessible to all people.
- In December 2021, Disability Justice Network Ontario (DJNO) announced the launch of a new library of assistive devices in Hamilton with free access to mobility equipment such as crutches, canes, power wheelchairs, and walking sticks. The establishment allowed the borrowing of equipment for up to six weeks with an option to extend if more time was needed.
“Supply Chain Management Issues to Obstruct Market Development”
Growing cases of accidents and trauma have resulted in high demand for canes, crutches, walkers, and other walking assistance devices all over the world. The COVID-19 pandemic of 2020 put a dent in the global supply chain and the ripples of this snag resulted in unexpected shortages and oversupply of certain products and raw materials in various parts of the world.
Improper management of resources and supply chain led to further complications in the medical equipment industry and adversely affected local supply and global demand for canes and crutches.
- In October 2021, hospitals in Utah, the United States, were experiencing a severe shortage of mobility equipment such as crutches, wheelchairs, canes, and walkers. The doctors were urging people to come out and donate the needed equipment as this was an unprecedented shortage.
- Similarly, supply chain issues also resulted in a shortage of crutches and canes in Canada in October 2021. This issue was caused by the low supply of crutches in the overseas markets and Canada saw a worse impact since it relies largely on imports of these assistive devices.
How are Start-ups Changing Global Product Standards?
“New Companies Developing & Launching Innovative Products with Advanced Technologies”
New cane manufacturers are focusing on creating novel products by integrating advanced sensors and technologies to bolster the safety of patients and users. Crutch suppliers are also focusing on expanding their sales potential through online channels as the popularity of e-Commerce increases around the world.
- Parachute Health, a company founded in 2015, is changing the way patients acquire assistive devices and products by bringing them through the e-Commerce channel. The company offers easy online access to products such as canes, crutches, wheelchairs, and other medical mobility equipment.
- Torchit, a social-tech start-up company backed by the Government of India, is revolutionizing the mobility equipment industry in India by bringing innovative solutions using advanced technologies such as machine learning and artificial intelligence. The company has developed a smart cane called Saarthi that has a 99.7% obstacle detection accuracy.
- Mobilio, a start-up founded in San Francisco, United States, is providing a sensor package that can ensure safe movement for all users of walkers, wheelchairs, canes, and crutches. The device monitors the user’s environment and helps them avoid hazards.
New crutch and cane manufacturers are also expected to experiment with the current pricing trends to see how it affects their sales potential and profit margins. More insights and new developments from the start-up scenario have been discussed in detail in this revised canes and crutches research analysis by Fact.MR, a market research and competitive intelligence provider.
More Insights, Lesser Cost (-50% off)
Insights on import/export production,
pricing analysis, and more – Only @ Fact.MR
What Makes Japan a Highly Lucrative Market for Cane and Crutch Suppliers?
“Presence of Rapidly Aging Population in the Country”
Japan has been known for its rapidly aging population for quite a while now and this is a prime prospect that is anticipated to promulgate shipments of canes and crutches in the country over the coming years.
- As per statistics provided by the World Economic Forum, by 2050, nearly one-third of the Japanese population is expected to be at the age of 65 or older and this is expected to boost sales of mobility equipment in Japan.
The country’s aging population is more at risk of contracting chronic diseases and having mobility-related health complications that could mandate the use of assistive equipment such as wheelchairs, canes, elbow walking sticks, walkers, and crutches. The Japanese government is also launching new initiatives that encourage elder people to work and this is another factor that is predicted to boost the canes and crutches market development in the country across the forecast period.
How is Demand for Canes and Crutches Faring in European Countries?
“Growing Adoption of Innovative Mobility Equipment to Bolster Market Potential”
The number of people living with physical disabilities is increasing rapidly in European countries owing to the increasing incidence of road accidents and the high prevalence of chronic diseases. These people are opting for mobility equipment to live their life and function in society, which is expected to boost sales of canes and crutches in European countries such as the United Kingdom, Germany, and France. Moreover, the aforementioned countries are also witnessing a rapidly increasing senescent population that is projected to further boost shipments of canes and crutches across the forecast period.
Canes and crutches manufacturers in this region are increasing their investments in the R&D sector to support innovation. Increasing spending on healthcare and rising per capita disposable income are other factors that are forecasted to boost the adoption of innovative mobility equipment among European people.
Which Country Accounts for Major Market Share in North America?
“United States Leads Sales of Canes and Crutches in North American Region”
Increasing geriatric population and growing prevalence of disabilities among people are prime factors that are anticipated to shape demand for canes and crutches in the United States over the coming years.
High incidence of chronic diseases resulting in physical disabilities, presence of developed healthcare infrastructure, high healthcare expenditure, rising cases of arthritis and other bone-related diseases, and rising awareness regarding the use of advanced mobility equipment are other factors that are expected to boost cane and crutch shipments in the country through 2033.
Which Product is Estimated to Be in High Demand Going Forward?
“Canes Anticipated to Account for Dominant Market Share”
Based on product, the market for canes and crutches is segmented into canes, crutches, and accessories.
Canes are anticipated to be the most sought-after products in the global canes and crutches industry landscape throughout the forecast period. Low costs and high portability are prime factors that are expected to boost demand for canes over other mobility products such as crutches and walkers through 2033.
The canes segment is further bifurcated into quad canes, folding canes, and offset canes. Quad canes account for a majority of cane sales owing to their better stability on stairs and floors.
Competitive Landscape :
Prime cane and crutch suppliers are focusing on launching new and innovative products that are integrated with smart technologies to meet the changing demand of consumers and patients across the world.
- CAN Mobilities, a company founded with the mission to advance human mobility announced the launch of CAN Go in May 2022. The new product is a smart cane that combines advanced sensors with mobile and web interfaces to help people with mobility issues while being safe and independent.
Key Segments of Canes and Crutches Industry Research
By Product :
- Folding Canes
- Quad Canes
- Offset Canes
- Axillary Crutches
- Forearm Crutches
By Distribution Channel :
- Hospital Pharmacies
- Medical Retail Stores
- Online Stores
By Region :
- North America
- Latin America
- FAQs -
The global canes and crutches market enjoys a US$ 975.9 million valuation in 2023.
Demand for canes and crutches is projected to rise at 3.8% CAGR and reach a market value of US$ 1.42 billion by 2033-end.
Growing senescent population and rising healthcare expenditure are key factors driving market growth.
Product, distribution channel, and region are the key segments profiled in this latest Fact.MR research analysis.
Ergoactives, DeVilbiss Healthcare, Besco Medical, NOVA Medical Products, and Sunrise Medical are the key manufacturers of canes and crutches.