Algae Products Market Set to Transform F&B and Biopolymer Industries
Market disrupting production platforms for food protein are underway which claim to generate recombinant proteins akin to those found in human breast milk and bovine milk. Set to revolutionize the food and beverage industry, a single-celled green algae species can release multiple proteins that are found in both plants and animal cells. Such protein rich algae would provide all the essential amino acids, fibers, iron, fatty acids and calcium needed by an infant in its first few months of development. With algae being given the moniker of ‘Food of the Future’, it is all set to herald a momentous growth in the algae products market.
Another important aspect of the growth of the algae products market is that environment friendly alternatives are growing in demand as biodegradable plastics made from naturally occurring substances such as algae are replacing fossil-fuel polymers. The algae products market is all set to get a jumpstart with algae being cultivated, harvested and dried to produce a starch that will unequivocally be used as a raw material for bio-plastics.
Manufacturers and large scale businesses looking to convert their sustainability ambitions into efficient and cost-effective actions. As the green revolution grips the globe, algae products have found an innovative way to boost the output of solar panels by combining them with controlled algae blooms. These algae products work by photosynthesizing in sub-optimal lighting, amid solar technology to enhance the production capability of these solar panels.
Algae are the group of plant like microorganisms that convert sunlight, carbon dioxide and nutrients into organic matter thus, replacing many commonly used oils such as fossil, fish and palm and proteins such as animal and plant protein. An estimated 200 species of algae are currently being used across various application areas including food, feed and fertilizer applications. Algae products are derived from two large broad categories of algae including, macro-algae and micro-algae. Microalgae are small single cell microorganism while the microalgae are large aquatic plants. Algae products derived from microalgae are primarily used in bio plastics, biofuels, and fertilizers, pharmaceutical applications while algae products derived from the microalgae are used in cosmetics, pharmaceuticals and food additives. Some of the commercially products algae products are derived from algae species such as, Spirulina and Chlorella. The global algae products market is expected to witness remarkable growth attributable to growing consumers demand for products with natural origin.
Reasons for Covering this Title
Increasing prevalence of various life threatening diseases is one of the prime reasons for changing consumer’s preference for naturally derived products. After approval of spirulina and other algae for use in various food, feed, nutraceuticals and cosmetic applications, the market for these algae products started increasing. For example, in 2016, DDW Inc. launched an algae product in the form of innovative blue color made from Spirulina with light stability improved by up to 40%. Earlier form of blue color produced by the company has poor heat and light stability. Also, demand for algae products for cosmetic applications such as in skin care products including, anti-ageing, regenerant care products, emollient and as an anti- irritant in peelers is further adding up to the growing market for algae products over the forecast period.
Application of algae in fertilizer industry to improve the water binding capacity and mineral composition of soil is another factor creating market growth opportunity for algae products in the near future. Algae are also considered to be important source of plant growth regulators and are incorporated into feed for a variety of animals ranging from fish to pets and farm animals thus, strengthening the market for algae products in the near future.
Global Algae Products: Market Segmentation
On the basis of product type, the global algae products market has been segmented as -
- Carotenoids and Pigments
- Beta Carotene
On the basis of form, the global algae products market has been segmented as –
On the basis of application, the global algae products market has been segmented as –
- Food and Beverages
- Dietary Supplements & Pharmaceuticals
- Animal & Aquaculture Feed
- Cosmetics & Personal Care
On the basis of sales channel, the global Algae Products market has been segmented as –
- Store Based Retailing
- Pharmaceutical/Drug Stores
- Specialty Stores
- Store Based Retailing
Factors Contributing Towards Algae Products Market Growth
Global Algae Products Market: Key Players
Some of the key players operating in the global algae products market are, Cargill Inc., The Dow Chemical Company, BASF SE, Cyanotech Corporation, Kerry Group, Ingredion Incorporated, Corbion N.V., Roquette Frères, CP Kelco, Fenchem Biotek, Algatechnologies, Koninklijke DSM N.V., among others.
Oil Content of Various Microalga
Key Developments In Algae Products Market
- In 2016, Nutrex Hawaii, a U.S. based subsidiary of Cyanotech Corporation launched a plant based protein shake under the brand name “Hawaiian Spirulina”
- In June 2015, Cyanotech Corp installed a new Astaxanthin extraction system at Cyanotech production facility at Kailua-Kona, Hawaii. The new extraction system is installed to reduce overall inventory cycle time as well as costs for natural Astaxanthin product due to increasing demand in the country, thus expending n global algae products market
- In January 2015, Sensient Colors LLC, a Germany based subsidiary of Sensient Technologies Corp., developed proprietary technology in the extraction of Spirulina blue and started producing it from the same year thus, expanding its presence in algae products market
Opportunities for Algae Products Market Participants
Increasing manufacturer’s efforts to capture more and more share in the global food and beverages industry through partnerships and expansions is expected to result in increasing market revenue in the global algae products market. Additionally, emerging applications of algae products in pharmaceuticals/nutraceuticals, textile, chemical and biopolymer/biolistic industry will deliver significant growth opportunity for the algae products market growth in the near future.
Brief Approach to Research
FMI will follow a modelling-based approach and triangulation methodology to estimate data covered in this report. A detailed market understanding and assessment of the nature, product type and end uses of the product segments covered in the study is followed by carrying out a demand-side approach to estimate the sales of target product segments, which is then cross-referenced with a supply-side assessment of value generated over a pre-defined period. The statistics and data is collected at a regional level, consolidated and synthesized at a global level to estimate the overall market sizes.
Key Data Points Covered in the Report
Some of the key data points covered in our report include:
- An overview of the Algae Products market, including background and evolution
- Macroeconomic factors affecting the Algae Products market and its potential
- Market dynamics, such as drivers, challenges and trends
- Detailed value chain analysis of the Algae Products market
- Cost structure of the products and segments covered in the global Algae Products market
- In-depth pricing analysis, by key product segments, regions and by major Algae Products market participants
- Analysis of supply and demand, such as top producing and consuming geographies, imports/exports and overall trade scenario in the global Algae Products market
- Analysis of the global Algae Products market structure, including a tier-wise categorization of key Algae Products market participants
- Competitive landscape of the market, including detailed profiles of the top players in the Algae Products market
This analytical research study imparts an all-inclusive assessment on the market, while propounding historical intelligence, actionable insights, and industry-validated & statistically-upheld market forecast. Verified and suitable set of assumptions and methodology has been leveraged for developing this comprehensive study. Information and analysis on key market segments incorporated in the report has been delivered in weighted chapters. A thorough analysis has been offered by the report on
- Market Dynamics
- Market Size
- Market Segments
- Demand & Supply Trends
- Current Issues and Challenges
- Companies and Competitor Landscape
- Value Chain
Regional Segments Analyzed Include
- North America (U.S., Canada)
- Latin America (Mexico. Brazil)
- Western Europe (Germany, Italy, France, U.K, Spain)
- Eastern Europe (Poland, Russia)
- Asia Pacific (China, India, ASEAN, Australia & New Zealand)
- Middle East and Africa (GCC, S. Africa, N. Africa)
Compilation of authentic and first-hand intelligence, insights offered in the report are based on quantitative and qualitative assessment by leading industry experts, and inputs from opinion leaders & industry participants around the value chain. Growth determinants, macroeconomic indicators, and parent market trends have been scrutinized and delivered, coupled with the market attractiveness for each market segment encompassed. Qualitative impact of growth influencers on the market segments across regions has also been mapped by the report.
Highlights from the Report
- Elaborated scenario of the parent market
- Transformations in the market dynamics
- Detailed segmentation of the target market
- Historical, current and forecast market size based on value and volume
- Latest industry developments and trends
- Competition landscape
- Strategies adopted by the market players and product developments made
- Potential and niche segments, along with their regional analysis
- Unbiased analysis on performance of the market
- Up-to-date and must-have intelligence for the market players to enhance and sustain their competitiveness
Fact.MR offers custom research services that help clients to get specific research solutions