Motor Soft Starter Market
Motor Soft Starter Market Analysis, By Voltage (Low, Medium), By Application (Fans, Pumps, Compressors), By End Use (Oil & Gas, Mining, Power, Water & Wastewater, Other End Uses), & Region - Global Market Insights 2023 to 2033
Analysis of Motor Soft Starter Market Covering 30+ Countries Including Analysis of US, Canada, UK, Germany, France, Nordics, GCC countries, Japan, Korea and many more
Motor Soft Starter Market Outlook (2023 to 2033)
Global demand for motor soft starters is projected to increase at a CAGR of 6% from 2023 to 2033. Currently, the global motor soft starter market is valued at US$ 2 billion and is thus expected to reach a market size of US$ 3.6 billion by the end of 2033.
Several sorts of machinery and equipment power industries. Among them is induction, the most widely utilized machine in the industry, representing a remarkable 70% of all motors utilized in modern industries. Due to their durability and effectiveness, induction motors outperform other industrial motors.
These devices require extensive protection against voltage surges and other hazards during operation to prevent damage and improve durability. The motor starter is the most commonly used equipment for protecting an induction motor.
Motor soft starters are used to reduce the inrush current generated during motor startup, increasing efficiency and extending motor shelf life. Soft starts are widely used in a variety of industries, including mining, power generation, and oil and gas. The soft starter assists in managing motor acceleration, hence preventing motor damage during the operation. This equipment can be coupled with fans, compressors, pumps, and other devices to regulate current flow to the required level.
Enterprise automation is no longer limited to virtual assistants and simple robots that handle back-office tasks. Full-fledged enterprise automation technologies that aid in making educated decisions, optimizing processes, and enhancing customer experience are becoming more widespread in today's industries.
Automation is at the core of most businesses' digital transformation efforts. Even though automation was once associated with the manufacturing business, it has now permeated almost every industry.
Soft starters have moved to digital technology, like microprocessors, to offer customers a variety of new features and capabilities. Several soft starts now have network capabilities, enabling them to communicate with plant control systems and transfer data to a central database.
The integration of digital technology into soft starters is aiding suppliers in the development of compact, modular soft starters. Technologically advanced soft starters can offer superior communications capabilities, advanced monitoring and protection, and an 'energy saver' mode that can boost productivity and minimize downtime. Moreover, many market players are offering technologically advanced soft starters to increase their customer base and market share.
- Schneider Electric introduced the AltivarTV Soft Starter ATS480 in October 2022. The ATS480 is a step forward in the evolution of soft starts, considering the need for digitalization. ATS480 is designed for use in conveyors, compressors, pumps and fans, centrifugal machines, and other applications. It can support processes and infrastructure in a variety of industries, including mining, equipment manufacturing, minerals and metals, oil and gas, water and wastewater, and others.
Product improvements and the incorporation of sophisticated technologies such as IoT and AI in motor soft starters are significantly boosting the prospect of industrial automation; increasing industrial automation is raising the demand for motor soft starters across the world.
Market Size (2023)
US$ 2 Billion
Projected Market Value (2033)
US$ 3.6 Billion
Global Market Growth Rate (2023 to 2033)
North America Market Share (2022)
Leading End-use Segment
Oil & Gas
Key Companies Profiled
Don't Need a Global Report?
save 40%! on Country & Region specific reports
Why is Demand for Motor Soft Starters Surging?
“Increasing Need to Improve Efficiency & Safety of Power Distribution Systems across Industries”
The global market is being pushed by the increasing need to improve the safety and effectiveness of power distribution systems in a variety of industries, including mining, oil and gas, energy and power, and food and beverage.
Soft starters contribute to the efficiency of power distribution systems by preventing overloading and notifying about abnormal load circumstances. This helps to avoid equipment damage and associated expenditures. The product also helps to lengthen the life of equipment, which is useful in industrial activities in plants or factories. As a result, these aspects are expected to benefit the market.
“High Demand for Industrial Pumps”
The need for motor soft starters is growing due to the increased demand for industrial pumps such as centrifugal pumps. Centrifugal pumps are widely used in refineries, pipeline services, hydrocarbon processing, and water injection. The expansion of refineries around the world is likely to increase demand for centrifugal pumps.
- For example, Dharmendra Pradhan, India's Oil Minister, stated in June 2020 that India plans to expand its oil refining capacity to 450 to 500 million tonnes over the next ten years to fulfill growing domestic fuel demand.
“Government Efforts to Develop Water & Wastewater Treatment Facilities”
Government initiatives to expand water and wastewater treatment facilities are a major element contributing to the growth of the global market. Governmental investment, incentives, funding, and rising worldwide water use are critical in fueling the demand for motor soft starters. Increasing government incentives for wastewater treatment projects and assistance for modern manufacturing facilities are boosting market growth.
- According to the United Nations Water, 80% of wastewater is discharged into the environment without being treated or reused, adding to a global problem. Moreover, over 1.7 billion people consume unclean water, putting them at risk of developing cholera, typhoid, polio, or dysentery.
As a result, increasing government efforts to develop and improve water and wastewater treatment facilities are spurring the demand for motor soft starters.
- Wetaskiwin City Council began pressing the federal and provincial governments to cover two-thirds of the expenses involved with modernizing the water treatment plant and inked a US$ 12.9 million Alberta Provincial Grant to help fund the facility's development in August 2020.
Which Countries are Contributing to North American Market Growth?
“United States, Canada, and Mexico to Contribute Significantly to Regional Market Expansion”
As per Fact.MR, a market research and competitive intelligence provider, North America captured 36% of the global market for motor soft starters in 2022. North America is leading the worldwide market due to the presence of numerous prominent motor soft starter manufacturers in the region.
The United States, Canada, and Mexico are significantly contributing to the regional market growth. The increasing use of automation in oil and gas exploration and manufacturing plants is propelling market growth in the United States. Moreover, the rapid growth in the oil and gas and construction industries is bolstering market expansion in Canada. Furthermore, heavy investment in the oil and gas industry and increased industrialization are driving the market in Mexico.
How are Sales of Motor Soft Starters Shaping Up in Asia Pacific?
“Japan and South Korea to Witness Increasing Sales of Motor Soft Starters”
The Asia Pacific market is developing at a rapid pace due to government regulations encouraging industrialization in the region. Moreover, sales of motor soft starters are increasing in Japan and South Korea due to the booming construction industry and heavy investments in industrial wastewater treatment.
Furthermore, growth in energy generation from coal and fossil fuels, combined with an expansion in the mining industry, is raising the demand for motor soft starters in these countries.
Why are the United Kingdom and German Markets Experiencing Considerable Growth?
“Heavy Investments in Water & Wastewater Treatment and Industrial Automation”
Demand for motor soft starters in Europe is surging. The market in the United Kingdom and Germany is experiencing considerable growth. Increased investment in water and wastewater treatment is driving the demand for motor soft starters in the United Kingdom. Moreover, growing investments in industrial automation are raising the usage of motor soft starters in Germany.
More Insights, Lesser Cost (-50% off)
Insights on import/export production,
pricing analysis, and more – Only @ Fact.MR
Why are Motor Soft Starters in High Demand in the Oil & Gas Industry?
“Growing Number of Oil & Gas Projects in Several Countries”
Soft starter technology offers considerable advantages for compressor, pump, fan/blower, and centrifuge applications in the oil and gas offshore and onshore industries. The lowered start current reduces strain on the electrical supply, which is especially advantageous for remote applications such as isolated pumping stations or offshore oil rigs.
In the oil and gas upstream industry, the onshore segment has led chiefly the EPC (Engineering, Procurement, and Construction) market, owing to fewer investment requirements, less complexity, better access to locations, and reduced risk compared to the offshore segment.
- As per the IEA (International Energy Agency), worldwide demand for natural gas is predicted to expand significantly over the next ten years.
Massive investment in the oil and gas sector is expected to generate the need for soft starters, hence boosting the market growth.
Furthermore, the growing number of oil and gas projects in numerous countries, such as Canada and the United States, with substantial oil reserves and oil sand resources, are expected to provide the market with solid growth potential during the projection period.
- The United States is a major producer of natural gas and crude oil, making up roughly 14.1% and 20.0% of global output in 2019.
The global market is highly competitive. Key players in the motor soft starter market are putting an emphasis on expanding their customer base in foreign markets. Market players are collaborating strategically to increase their market share and profitability.
Furthermore, as a result of technological advancements and product breakthroughs, mid-size to small enterprises are increasing their market presence by obtaining new contracts and entering new industries.
- Siemens AG launched the Sirius 3RW55 Failsafe, the company's first soft starter with inbuilt safe torque-off features, in August 2021. The product incorporates a fail-safe digital input that is directly connected to an emergency stop button. If an operator activates the emergency shutdown option, the motor comes to a complete halt. The motor continues in this mode until the interlock is activated. The company wants to increase its product offering with the launch of this novel motor soft starter.
- Aucom Electronics Ltd. announced a new addition to the soft starter line, the EMX4 advanced soft tarter, in February 2021, which is packed with smart motor control and protection functions. It has Smart Card functionality, converting it from a very smart motor controller to a comprehensive system controller. It also has motor, starter, and system protection capabilities, as well as alarms to warn the user of any potential problems.
Key Segments of Motor Soft Starter Industry Research
By Voltage :
By Application :
By End Use :
- Oil & Gas
- Water & Wastewater
- Other End Uses
By Region :
- North America
- Latin America
- Asia Pacific & China
- Middle East & Africa
- FAQs -
The global motor soft starter market amounted to US$ 2 billion in 2023.
Global demand for motor soft starters is estimated to increase at a CAGR of 6% from 2023 to 2033.
The motor soft starter market is anticipated to touch US$ 3.6 billion by 2033.
Siemens AG, Emerson Electric Company, ABB Ltd, General Electric Company, Eaton Corporation PLC, Rockwell Automation, Inc, Schneider Electric SA, and Toshiba International Corporation are leading manufacturers of motor soft starters.