Organs-on-Chips Market Analysis By Organ (Liver, Heart, Lungs), By Application (Drug Discovery, Toxicology Research), By End User (Pharmaceutical & Biotechnology Companies, Academic & Research Institutions) and Region - Global Market Insights 2023 to 2033
Analysis of Organs-on-Chips Market Covering 30+ Countries Including Analysis of US, Canada, UK, Germany, France, Nordics, GCC countries, Japan, Korea and many more
Organs-on-Chips Market Outlook (2023 to 2033)
The global organs-on-chips market size is valued at US$ 103 million in 2023 and is predicted to surge and attain an impressive valuation of US$ 1.45 billion by 2033-end. As per this elaborate Fact.MR research study, worldwide shipments of organs-on-chips are projected to rise at an astronomical 30.3% CAGR over the next ten years.
Organs-on-chips or organoid chips are masses of cells or tissues that emulate the function of an organ or different types of organs. Organs-on-chips are anticipated to find extensive use in the drug development process as they allow researchers to study the exact impact of drugs on organs and get a detailed analysis of effects at the cellular and molecular level, which is expected to drive sales of organs-on-chips through 2033.
Rising concerns regarding the testing of drugs on animals, growing demand for personalized medicine, increasing investments in healthcare research, and supportive government funding are other factors that are expected to positively influence the organs-on-chips market potential across the forecast period. Shortage of organ donors and lack of availability of functional lab-engineered organs are also slated to drive shipments of organs-on-chips over the next five years.
- In March 2023, MIMETAS, a leading company using organ-on-chip technology for disease modelling based in the Netherlands, announced that it had launched its Adult Stem Cell (ASC)-derived tubular organoids in an assay-ready format as part of its OrganoReady® product line.
The advent of 3D bioprinting in the medical technology sector is projected to allow organ-on-chip companies to reduce their manufacturing and deployment costs, which could further boost organ-on-chip demand in the long run. Innovations in biomaterials and advancements in 3D printing technology are also slated to aid organ-on-chip vendors in scaling their business to the next level.
- In April 2023, BIO INX, a Belgian start-up developing inks for a wide scope of applications such as bioprinting and 3D printing, revealed its new resin that could be used to 3D print organs-on-chips. Hydrotech INX N200 is a biocompatible hydrogel resin created for two-photon polymerization (2PP).
Contrastingly, organs-on-chips technology is still in its nascent stage, which is why it requires heavy investments to develop, commercialize, and launch. This also results in expensive end products that are so high in cost that the majority of the general population around the world cannot afford them. The aforementioned aspects act as major restraints for organs-on-chips market revenue generation throughout the forecast period.
Organs-on-Chips Market Size (2023)
US$ 103 Million
Projected Market Value (2033F)
US$ 1.45 Billion
Global Market Growth Rate (2023 to 2033)
Leading Regional Market
Key Market Segment
Key Companies Profiled
Don't Need a Global Report?
save 40%! on Country & Region specific reports
What are Start-ups Doing to Bridge the Gap in the Organs-on-Chips Industry?
“Capital Raise – Essential for New Organ-on-Chip Companies Trying to Innovate”
Organs-on-chips is a technology that is still in its nascent and developmental phases, which is why it requires a substantial amount of research and development that incurs high costs for companies developing them. This is why incoming organs-on-chips providers are focusing on raising new funding to finance their R&D efforts and improve their business potential in the future.
- In June 2023, Dynamic42 GmbH, an innovative organ-on-chip specialist based in Germany, announced that it had closed a mid-seven-figure Series A financing round to expand its business on an international level. Lead investor bm-t beteiligungsmanagement thüringen GmbH has played a crucial role in funding this start-up right from 2018.
- In August 2022, Nortis, a company focusing on developing organ-on-chip technology using microfluidics, announced that it had raised US$ 6 million in cash. This was revealed in an SEC filing and the company is focusing on the development of human cells that can mimic the function of organs such as kidney, liver, lungs, heart, etc.
- Emulate Inc., a biotechnology start-up focused on organ-on-a-chip technology, announced that it had raised US$ 82 million in a Series E round in September 2021. The company had plans to utilize this funding to create a blueprint for developing novel organ systems that could be used by drug makers in labs to eliminate the need for animal testing.
- Finnadvance, a Finnish organ-on-chip start-up, announced that it has raised around US$ 1.19 million in a seed funding round in April 2022, which was led by Athensmed and was backed by Voima Ventures and Icebreaker who are the existing investors of the company. Finnadvance was expected to use this funding to broaden its research scope and reach out to new markets such as the United States.
Start-ups can benefit by learning more about aspects such as local supply, pricing trends, product standards, safety regulations, and new developments that have been discussed extensively in this organs-on-chips industry study by skilled analysts at Fact.MR, a market research and competitive intelligence provider.
Where in Asia Will Organ-on-Chip Companies Get Sizeable Returns on Their Investments?
“China and India to Offer Lucrative Moneymaking Opportunities”
Organs-on-chips market revenue share in Asian countries such as India and China is projected to increase at a rapid pace across the forecast period and beyond. This can be ascribed to a rising focus on healthcare innovation and growing investments in medical R&D activities in the aforementioned Asian countries.
Surging incidence of chronic diseases, growing patient pool, and rising mortality rates due to unavailability of organ donors are other influential prospects that could potentially bolster organ-on-chip sales in Japan, China, India along with other Asian countries over the next ten years.
Why Should Organ-on-Chip Manufacturers Invest in the United States?
“High Healthcare Expenditure and Rapid Adoption of Novel Technologies”
The U.S. organs-on-chips market is expected to be a highly lucrative market over the years to come and the growth can be attributed to the increasing geriatric population, high research activity in the healthcare industry, supportive government initiatives, presence of key pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies, and rising acceptance of organs-on-chips.
The country is home to some of the major biotechnology and pharmaceutical companies, and a high focus on R&D in these organizations is expected to favour the overall market potential through 2033. The presence of an advanced healthcare infrastructure that is quick to adopt novel healthcare technologies also makes the United States a highly remunerative space for organ-on-chip companies going forward
Which European Countries are Key Markets for Suppliers of Organs-on-Chips?
“Germany, United Kingdom – Opportune Markets in Europe”
Sizeable amounts of investments have been made in research and development of organ-on-chip technology in European countries such as Germany and the United Kingdom. Germany is home to some of the most prominent start-ups making waves in the organs-on-chips space and this is why the country has become a hotbed for innovations in the marketplace thereby attracting investors.
Increasing focus on healthcare and rising demand for drug discovery and screening are anticipated to be prime drivers for organ-on-chip demand in the United Kingdom. Supportive initiatives by the government to promote R&D in the organs-on-chips space are also opening up new frontiers of opportunities for established as well as new organ-on-chip companies going forward.
- In 2020, a new research center was opened at Queen Mary University of London to facilitate medical research and drug development using organ-on-chip technology. The ‘Queen Mary-Emulate Organs-on-Chips Centre’ was established through a partnership between Emulate Inc., a United States-based company developing organs-on-chips, and Queen Mary University.
More Insights, Lesser Cost (-50% off)
Insights on import/export production,
pricing analysis, and more – Only @ Fact.MR
Which Type Organs-on-Chip is Exhibiting High Demand?
“Lungs-on-Chips to Account for Substantial Sales Growth”
The global organs-on-chips market, based on organ, is segmented into liver, heart, lungs, and other organs.
The lungs segment is anticipated to lead the overall organs-on-chips market revenue generation capacity owing to lower lung transplantations and increasing investments in the development of lungs-on-chips. The rising use of lab-engineered lungs in the drug screening process owing to the high prevalence of respiratory disorders is also expected to drive growth in this segment over the years to come.
Demand for heart-on-chip is also anticipated to exhibit a lucrative growth outlook owing to the increasing incidence of cardiovascular disorders across the world which is expected to rise as the senescent population increases through 2033.
Leading organ-on-chip manufacturers are focusing on mergers, collaborations, and acquisitions to expand their business scope and bolster their presence in the global competitive landscape.
- In April 2022, Valo Health, a technology company focused on revolutionizing the drug discovery process, announced that it was acquiring TARA Biosystems to bolster its cardiovascular drug discovery business. TARA’s 3D heart tissue modelling platform and its heart tissue chips will be key to Valo’s advancements in cardiovascular drug discovery and development.
Know thy Competitors
Competitive landscape highlights only certain players
Complete list available upon request
Key Segments of Organs-on-Chips Industry Research
By Organ :
- Other Organs
By Application :
- Drug Discovery
- Toxicology Research
- Other Applications
By End User :
- Pharmaceutical & Biotechnology Companies
- Academic & Research Institutions
- Other End Users
By Region :
- North America
- Latin America
- FAQs -
The global organs-on-chips market accounts for a valuation of US$ 103 million in 2023.
Organ-on-chip sales are forecasted to reach US$ 1.45 billion by 2033-end.
Worldwide sales of organs-on-chips are predicted to skyrocket at 30.3% CAGR over the next ten years.
Lungs-on-chips are estimated to account for high sales across the forecast period.
SynVivo, Tara Biosystems Inc., MIMETAS, HemoShear Therapeutics LLC, Organovo Holdings Inc., AxoSim, and Nortis are some of the leading companies in the market.