Hinoki Oil Market
Hinoki Oil Market Analysis by Steam-distilled, Cold-pressed, and CO2-extracted Oil for Aromatherapy, Personal Care Products & Treatment, and Pharmaceuticals from 2024 to 2034
Analysis of Hinoki Oil Market Covering 30+ Countries Including Analysis of US, Canada, UK, Germany, France, Nordics, GCC countries, Japan, Korea and many more
Hinoki Oil Market Outlook (2024 to 2034)
According to a new industry analysis by Fact.MR, the global hinoki oil market is set to reach a size of US$ 150.4 million in 2024 and is further projected to expand at a CAGR of 10.1% to end up at US$ 391.9 million by 2034.
Hinoki oil is a delicate essential oil distilled from the wood and bark of the Hinoki cypress tree in Japan. Highly fragrant and valued for its calming scent, hinoki oil is traditionally used for relaxation and meditation in Japanese culture. The soothing aroma arises from the complex layers of terpenes and other plant compounds that impart a fresh yet woody scent reminiscent of nature. Beyond its cultural significance, research also suggests hinoki oil possesses antimicrobial and other therapeutic properties with benefits for wellness.
Hinoki oil is a complex mixture of over 100 different compounds, including monoterpenes, sesquiterpenes, and alcohol. The most abundant compound in Hinoki oil is α-pinene, which accounts for about 40% of this aromatherapy oil. Other major constituents include β-pinene, camphene, limonene, myrcene, and terpineol.
Way Ahead for Hinoki Oil Market
- With continued growth in wellness and aromatherapy markets, global demand for Hinoki oil is projected to keep rising steadily over the coming decades.
- The Hinoki tree faces challenges from logging and urbanization in Japan. To safeguard a consistent supply of high-quality Hinoki wood in the long term, there is a growing need to establish more plantations and adopt sustainable forestry practices. This approach aims to balance the demand for Hinoki wood with responsible resource management, ensuring the preservation of this valuable resource amid increasing pressures on its natural habitat.
- Larger producers may consolidate to achieve economies of scale and optimize Hinoki oil yields from wood sources. Prices could stabilize with a more centralized production model.
- New applications are projected to broaden Hinoki oil's uses in personal care products, cleaning supplies, and infrastructure materials for its antimicrobial properties.
- Consumer education on Hinoki oil's health benefits and cultural tradition is forecast to support premiumization and command higher price points over commodity essential oils.
- Strict quality controls and eco-friendly harvesting and production methods are important for Hinoki oil's sustainable growth and positive brand image internationally.
|Hinoki Oil Market Size (2023A)
|US$ 137.2 Million
|Estimated Market Value (2024E)
|US$ 150.4 Million
|Forecasted Market Value (2034F)
|US$ 391.9 Million
|Global Market Growth Rate (2024 to 2034)
|China Market Size (2023A)
|US$ 17.5 Million
|United States Market Growth Rate (2024 to 2034)
|Key Companies Profiled
Don't Need a Global Report?
save 40%! on Country & Region specific reports
What are the Benefits of Hinoki Essential Oil?
- Healing Wounds :- Hinoki essential oil possesses antiseptic properties, making it a valuable aid in the healing process of minor cuts, scrapes, and wounds. Additionally, it finds application in skincare and cosmetics due to its bacteria-killing capabilities, effectively addressing issues like sores, pimples, pustules, and skin eruptions.
- Relief from Muscle Spasms :- For those experiencing cramps and muscle discomfort, Hinoki essential oil provides relief by promoting increased blood circulation and reducing inflammation. Its antispasmodic properties prove beneficial in alleviating leg cramps, muscle pulls, and conditions like carpal tunnel.
- Respiratory Health Improvement :- The antispasmodic nature of Hinoki therapeutic essential oil contributes to clearing congestion, eliminating phlegm buildup, and treating asthma. Additionally, it proves effective against respiratory infections caused by bacterial overgrowth.
- Natural Deodorant :- Sporting a woody and masculine fragrance, Hinoki serves as a natural deodorant that not only imparts a pleasant aroma but also inhibits bacterial growth, effectively preventing body odor. This antibacterial quality makes Hinoki an excellent choice for those seeking a natural alternative to conventional deodorants.
- Anxiety Relief :- Hinoki's sedative effects play a pivotal role in inducing a sense of calm and relaxation. Particularly beneficial for individuals undergoing emotional stress, struggling with sleep issues, or dealing with recent traumas, Hinoki essential oil offers a natural remedy to alleviate anxiety and promote emotional well-being.
Why are Sales of Hinoki Oil on an Upward Trajectory?
“Rapidly Growing Interest in Natural and Organic Products”
Hinoki oil is rich in compounds such as alpha-pinene, beta-pinene, and limonene, which have been shown to have various health benefits. Alpha-pinene and beta-pinene are known for their anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, while limonene has been shown to have cancer-fighting properties.
In skincare products, hinoki oil is used to soothe and calm the skin due to its anti-inflammatory properties. It also helps to regulate sebum production, making it an ideal ingredient for those with oily or acne-prone skin. Additionally, hinoki oil has been shown to have antibacterial and antifungal properties, making it effective against acne-causing bacteria and fungi.
In aromatherapy, hinoki oil is used to promote relaxation and reduce stress levels due to its calming and grounding properties. It is often used in meditation and yoga practices as it helps to create a peaceful and tranquil environment.
“Extensive Use of Hinoki Oil in Cosmetics and Personal Care Products”
The use of hinoki oil in cosmetics and personal care products is increasing due to its natural and therapeutic properties. Hinoki oil is rich in antioxidants, which help protect the skin from free radical damage and premature aging. It also has antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties that make it an effective ingredient in skincare products for acne-prone skin.
In addition, hinoki oil has a refreshing and uplifting aroma that is commonly used in aromatherapy for its calming and relaxing effects. This makes it an ideal ingredient in bath and body products such as bath salts, body scrubs, and body lotions, thereby driving overall hinoki oil market growth.
More Insights, Lesser Cost (-50% off)
Insights on import/export production,
pricing analysis, and more – Only @ Fact.MR
What are the Factors Driving Hinoki Oil Demand across North America?
“Rising Awareness of Therapeutic Qualities of Hinoki Oil”
In 2023, North America occupied 75.6% of the global hinoki oil market share. This regional dominance is projected to persist and even strengthen over the forecast period from 2024 to 2034. This growth trajectory is primarily attributed to the increased popularity of essential oil in the United States and Canada.
- One company that is capitalizing on this trend is Young Living, a leading manufacturer and distributor of essential oils and aromatherapy products based in California, United States. The company offers a range of Hinoki oil-based products, including Hinoki oil itself, as well as skincare and wellness products that incorporate Hinoki oil as an active ingredient.
As North America continues to embrace the therapeutic qualities of Hinoki oil, the market is poised for sustained expansion, presenting ample opportunities for both established and emerging players in the industry.
Why are Producers of Hinoki Oil Keen to Invest in the United States?
“Strong Preference for Natural Fragrances over Synthetic Ones”
In the United States, Hinoki trees are primarily cultivated for ornamental purposes rather than for commercial oil production. Landscapers and homeowners in regions with suitable environmental conditions may choose to plant Hinoki trees for their aesthetic value. These trees typically require well-drained soil and partial shade, along with regular watering.
The United States aromatherapy market was valued at US$ 620 million in 2023 and is projected to expand at a CAGR of 10% from 2024 to 2034. This exuberant growth and consumer inclination towards new and plant-based organic products are projected to drive the demand for hinoki oil in the nation. Some of the key players producing hinoki oil in the United States include Edens Garden, doTERRA International, and Frontier Natural Products Co-op.
According to the latest hinoki oil market trends, companies here manage to generate an annual margin of 24% to 28%. Companies pay close attention to consumer ingredient preferences and anticipate a higher return on investment by incorporating hinoki oil into their products. Consumers in the United States prefer natural fragrances over synthetic ones due to concerns about health and environmental issues. Hinoki oil is a natural fragrance that is commonly used in perfumery, cosmetics, and household cleaning products.
Why is Demand for Hinoki Oil Gaining Traction in Japan?
“Cultural and Traditional Significance of Hinoki Essential Oil”
Hinoki oil is produced in Japan primarily because it is derived from the Hinoki cypress tree (Chamaecyparis obtusa), which is native to Japan. The tree is highly valued for its fragrant wood and essential oil, and it has been an integral part of Japanese culture and traditions for centuries. Hinoki oil is extracted from the wood, leaves, or bark of the hinoki cypress through a process called steam distillation.
The oil has a unique and pleasant scent, often described as woody, citrusy, and slightly sweet. Due to its aromatic properties, hinoki oil has been used in various traditional practices in Japan, including in religious ceremonies and baths and as a natural fragrance.
Japan is the world's largest producer of Hinoki oil, with an annual production of approximately 1,000 tons. Hinoki oil is also produced in other countries, such as China, Korea, and Vietnam. The global hinoki oil market is growing steadily, driven by the increasing popularity of natural and holistic products.
Beyond its cultural significance, Hinoki oil also possesses certain properties that make it desirable for various applications. It is believed to have antimicrobial and relaxation-inducing properties, making it a popular choice for aromatherapy and skincare products.
Know thy Competitors
Competitive landscape highlights only certain players
Complete list available upon request
Why Does Steam-Distilled Hinoki Oil Account for Higher Sales?
“Vital Role of Steam Distillation in Enhancing Purity and Quality of Hinoki Oil”
Steam-distilled Hinoki oil is estimated to account for 43% share of the Hinoki oil market size in 2024 and is projected to occupy 60.4% of the market share by 2034. The dominance of steam-distilled Hinoki oil can be attributed to several factors. Steam distillation enhances the purity and quality of the extracted oil, making it ideal for use in aromatherapy, perfumery, and personal care products. The therapeutic properties of hinoki oil, such as its soothing, relaxing, and antimicrobial effects, have contributed to its increasing popularity in a wide range of industries.
Why is Hinoki Oil Used Extensively in Aromatherapy and Personal Care Products and Treatment?
“Hinoki Oil Playing Crucial Role in Promoting Relaxation and Alleviating Stress”
Hinoki oil has a calming and relaxing effect on the mind and body, making it a popular choice for aromatherapy. It is commonly used in massage oils, diffusers, and bath products to promote relaxation and reduce stress. Hinoki oil has antimicrobial properties that make it an effective natural preservative in personal care products such as cosmetics and skincare items. It helps prevent the growth of bacteria and fungi, which can cause spoilage or infection.
The anti-inflammatory properties of hinoki oil make it useful in treating skin conditions such as eczema, psoriasis, and acne. It helps reduce inflammation and soothe irritated skin. Hinoki oil is rich in antioxidants, which help protect the skin from damage caused by free radicals. This makes it a popular ingredient in anti-aging skincare products.
Hinoki oil has a refreshing and uplifting aroma that is commonly used in personal care products such as shampoos, conditioners, and body washes to provide a pleasant sensory experience. Hinoki oil has a long history of cultural significance in Japan, where it is commonly used in traditional medicine and aromatherapy. This cultural significance adds to its popularity and appeal in the aromatherapy and personal care segments.
Young Living Essential Oils is a major player in the essential oil market, with a focus on high-quality, pure essential oils for aromatherapy and wellness applications. The company offers a range of essential oils, including Hinoki oil, which is sourced from Japan.
A prominent product from Hinoki LAB is its essential oil, created through the steam distillation method to guarantee optimal potency and purity. This essential oil is abundant in terpenes, providing it with a revitalizing and elevating fragrance, along with antimicrobial and antioxidant qualities.
Plant Therapy, a leading producer of Hinoki oil in the United States, offers a range of KidSafe essential oils, tailored specifically for children. Crafted with gentle methods and devoid of synthetic fragrances and additives, these oils provide a secure and efficacious option for parents seeking to integrate essential oils into their children's health regimens.
Fact.MR has provided detailed information about the price points of key players in the Hinoki oil market positioned across regions, sales growth, production capacity, and speculative technological expansion in its recently published report.
Segmentation of Hinoki Oil Market Research
By Type :
- Steam-distilled Hinoki oil
- Cold-pressed Hinoki Oil
- CO2-extracted Hinoki Oil
By Application :
- Personal Care Products & Treatment
By Sales Channel :
- Modern Trade
- Convenience Stores
- Departmental Stores
- Direct Sales
- Specialty Stores
- Online Retailing
By Region :
- North America
- Latin America
- East Asia
- South Asia & Oceania
- Middle East & Africa
- FAQs -
What was the global Hinoki oil market size reported by Fact.MR for 2023?
The global Hinoki oil market was valued at US$ 137.2 million in 2023.
At what rate did the sales of Hinoki oil rise from 2019 to 2023?
Worldwide sales of Hinoki oil increased at a CAGR of 4.3% from 2019 to 2023.
What is the projected valuation of the market for 2034?
The market is projected to reach US$ 391.9 million by the end of 2034.
At what rate is the use of Hinoki oil forecasted to increase in aromatherapy?
Use of Hinoki oil in aromatherapy is projected to rise at a CAGR of 10% from 2024 to 2034.
Sales through which channel are forecasted to grow at a significant pace?
The online retailing segment is projected to expand at a CAGR of 10.9% through 2034.
Who are the leading manufacturers of Hinoki oil?
Prominent market players include Oshadhi Essential Oils, Iwase Cosfa Europe SAS, Chidoriya Corp., and Hinoki LAB.