Gluten-free Bread Market
Gluten-free Bread Market Analysis By Product Type (Vegan, Kosher, Keto Multigrain), By Sales Channel (Online, Offline) and By Region - Global Market Report (2024 to 2034)
Analysis of Gluten-free Bread Market Covering 30+ Countries Including Analysis of US, Canada, UK, Germany, France, Nordics, GCC countries, Japan, Korea and many more
Gluten-free Bread Market Outlook (2024 to 2034)
The global gluten-free bread market size is set to account for a revenue value of US$ 733 million in 2024 and is forecasted to reach US$ 1.74 billion by the end of 2034. Worldwide sales of gluten-free bread are projected to rise at a noteworthy 9% CAGR from 2024 to 2034.
Eating habits and lifestyles have changed drastically over the past few years and this has resulted in a substantial increase in lifestyle disorders, which has motivated people to adopt more healthy eatables. Increasing awareness about symptoms of gluten intolerance is anticipated to favor demand for gluten-free baked goods. An increase in focus on monitoring gluten intake is also projected to favor gluten-free bread sales throughout the forecast period.
Gluten-free foods have gained massive popularity over the past few years as the number of gluten-intolerant people has increased across the world. Products such as buckwheat bread, wheat-free bread, millet bread, gluten-free brioche, gluten-free rye bread, and low-carb gluten-free bread are expected to witness a rapid rise in sales over the coming years.
Evolving consumer preferences and the rising popularity of the benefits associated with gluten-free foods are also slated to influence gluten-free bread demand in the future. The growing availability of several gluten-free products such as gluten-free bread crumbs, gluten-free pita bread, gluten-free hamburger buns, gluten-free flatbread, etc., is also expected to favor market growth over the years to come.
- In May 2022, Canyon Bakehouse, a leading provider of gluten-free bread in the United States, announced the launch of its new gluten-free Brioche-style Sweet Rolls. The company launched this to expand its gluten-free product portfolio and made this new product available in its offline and online stores.
Gluten is the protein that gives consistency to products by forming a network of proteins and the absence of protein makes it difficult to maintain the consistency of products. Gluten-free foods have a relatively bland taste to their gluten-rich counterparts and this also restrains their sales to a certain extent. The aforementioned factors are predicted to slow down gluten-free bread sales to some extent over the next ten years.
|Gluten-free Bread Market Size (2024E)||US$ 733 Million|
|Projected Market Value (2034F)||US$ 1.74 Billion|
|Global Market Growth Rate (2024 to 2034)||9% CAGR|
|Europe Market Share (2023)||24.3%|
|North America Market Share (2023)||39%|
|Key Companies Profiled||
Don't Need a Global Report?
save 40%! on Country & Region specific reports
How are New Companies Making a Mark in the Gluten-free Space?
“Start-ups Focusing on Providing Artisanal Breads with Unique Flavors”
New gluten-free bread suppliers can focus on the creation of artisanal products that incorporate unique flavors from around the world. Aspiring bakers can also leverage social media to run specialized campaigns to market their products and create a dedicated customer base that would help them establish themselves in the global gluten-free bread landscape.
- The Flat Baker, an artisanal bakery in the United Kingdom, has gained massive popularity recently as it started selling Brazilian-inspired baked goods. The bakery started from the flat of bakers Matt and Deborah and is now a bakery studio in Ancoats, Manchester. The bakery also offers different kinds of Brazilian-inspired gluten-free products that are not widely available in the market.
- Panista, a gluten-free bakery based in Germany provides gluten-free flour mixes and breads. Panista’s products are made using buckwheat flour, teff flour, etc. to keep their products free from gluten and allow gluten-intolerant people a wide variety of alternatives.
Why is Europe a Godsend for Gluten-free Bread Providers?
“Growing Consumption of Plant-based Foods and Rising Vegan Population”
Veganism is gaining popularity at a rapid pace in European countries and this is forecasted to favor sales of gluten-free bread and other gluten-free bakery products in the long run. The United Kingdom, France, Germany, and Italy are projected to be the prime markets for gluten-free bread manufacturers and suppliers in the European region across the study period. Increasing awareness regarding Celiac disease and gluten intolerance is also slated to benefit gluten-free bread market growth in this region.
- As per an article on the World Population Review website, the United Kingdom is the country with the most vegans in the world.
Bread is a staple in most European diets and this is why demand for vegan gluten-free bread is projected to be high in most European countries over the next ten years and beyond. The increasing incidence of chronic disorders is pushing people towards healthy eating and this is also favoring demand for gluten-free and functional foods in Europe. The growing popularity of the clean-label trend in European countries is also forecasted to augment gluten-free bread sales from 2024 to 2034.
- In January 2023, Warburtons, a British baking company, announced the launch of gluten-free buns. Gluten Free Cinnamon & Raisin Sliced Fruity Buns are made from a brioche base and made available in Co-op, Asda, Ocado, and Tesco.
Rising acceptance of gluten-free diets in European countries is also a key prospect that will create highly bankable opportunities for gluten-free bread vendors over the coming years.
Fact.MR, a market research and competitive intelligence provider, in this latest gluten-free bread market study report, gives a detailed regional analysis of the industry with factors such as local supply, pricing trends, product standards, safety regulations, and new developments, affecting market growth.
More Insights, Lesser Cost (-50% off)
Insights on import/export production,
pricing analysis, and more – Only @ Fact.MR
Apart from investing in European and North American countries, gluten-free bread distributors should focus on amplifying their sales and business scope in Asian countries such as India and China to improve their global gluten-free bread market share.
Will India be a Good Space for Baking Gluten-free Bread?
“Increasing Consumer Awareness Regarding Gluten Intolerance”
India is projected to emerge as a highly opportune space for gluten-free bread providers in the future and this can largely be ascribed to rising awareness regarding gluten intolerance among the Indian population. Increasing health consciousness and growing consumption of functional foods are also slated to create an opportune scenario for gluten-free bread suppliers in India.
- Gurpreet Kaur, a mother struggling to find gluten-free alternatives for her Celiac disease-affected daughter started Geggle, a company providing gluten-free flour and gluten-free baked goods such as cakes and breads. In 2021, Gurpreet signed an agreement with Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (BARC) to use the technology to mass produce gluten-free chapatti flour.
Why are Sales of Gluten-free Bread Rising in the United States?
“High Prevalence of Celiac Disease and Growing Number of Gluten Intolerant People”
Demand for gluten-free bread is projected to soar high in the United States and this is directly linked to the rising number of gluten intolerant people in the country. The growing availability of gluten-free bread and other gluten-free products is also complemented by the surging prevalence of Celiac disease. Celiac disease is a condition that damages the inner lining of the small intestine and prevents the absorption of nutrients which could lead to other health complications such as cancer and osteoporosis.
- In January 2022, MYBREAD® Gluten Free Bakery, a dedicated bakery providing gluten-free products in the United States, announced the launch of its Original Flatbread Pitas at select Walmart stores in the country. The newly launched pitas were vegan and gluten-free.
Gluten-free bread manufacturers are focusing on maximizing their sales via offline channels as they have proven their role in revenue generation in the past.
Where Will Most Gluten-free Bread Consumption Be Recorded?
“Advanced Gluten-free Bread Set to Rise in Demand Going Forward”
Gluten-free bread shipments via offline channels are set to maintain a dominant outlook across the forecast period owing to the high availability of a variety of products in supermarkets and hypermarkets. Moreover, discount offers offered by these establishments provide incentives to customers to purchase from these channels and are driving overall gluten-free bread demand across the world.
Know thy Competitors
Competitive landscape highlights only certain players
Complete list available upon request
Gluten-free bread manufacturers are focusing on mergers and acquisitions to strengthen their market stance and gain a competitive edge over other market players.
- In July 2023, Grupo Bimbo, a leading multinational food giant based in Mexico, announced that it had partnered with Zero Carb Company (ZCC), a start-up trying to bring meaningful change in consumers’ everyday food consumption to market a zero-carb gluten-free bread product lineup. The partnership also allowed ZCC to explore different geographical markets.
- In June 2022, Katjes Greenfood, an investment arm of Katjes Group based in Germany, announced the acquisition of Genius Foods, an Edinburgh-based gluten-free bakery. The brand had a notable market presence in the United Kingdom, Australia, Germany, and the U.S. Katjes. Through this acquisition, Katjes Greenfood grew its sales of gluten-free products.
Gluten-free bread brands are also focusing on launching new products to bolster sales potential and gain a competitive advantage over other market players.
- In August 2023, King Arthur Baking Company, a leading American supplier of baked goods and flour, announced the launch of its gluten-free bread flour at the Natural Products Expo West event. The products were in accordance with the company’s motto of making baking accessible to all bakers.
Key Segments of Gluten-free Bread Market Research
By Product Type :
By Sales Channel :
- Specialty Stores
- Convenience Stores
- Other Sales Channels
By Region :
- North America
- Latin America
- East Asia
- South Asia & Oceania
- Middle East & Africa
- FAQs -
The global gluten-free bread market is estimated at US$ 733 million in 2024.
Demand for gluten-free bread is forecasted to reach a revenue of US$ 1.74 billion by 2034-end.
Sales of gluten-free bread are set to increase at 9% CAGR over the next ten years.
European countries are projected to lead global gluten-free bread sales by the end of the study period.
Kraft Heinz Company, Hain Celestial Group Inc., General Mills, Raisio Plc, Honeybuns, and Dr. Schar are leading companies manufacturing gluten-free bread.